Recording Blackwater Park

Walls1441

May 13, 2007
myspace.com
Does anyone know what they used for distortion on this cd? Laney amps? It has some of the best tone i've ever heard for the discord and riffage opeth kicks out.

According to Opeth.com, they used: Laney VH 100L, Engl 100W, Peavey 5150. Not sure which ENGL they used, but my guess would be Powerball, an amp I happen to own. :headbang: The 5150s and ENGLs are definitely more brutal sounding than the GH100L, but studio processing can do wonders in that regard, so it would be hard to nail down exactly which amp was used for what.

still life has the best production, 'cept for the weird stereo problems in the moor. but the guitar sound on that album crushes all

Obviously you are right because you have a guitar in your avatar and you claim to own an amp. Please enlighten us with your vast knowledge of guitar.

Wouldn't it be that Still Life is being remixed? :erk: What would it be remixed for if it already had the best guitar sound?

Remixing has nothing to do with the guitar sound afaik. Remixing is, cleverly, doing the mix of the instruments from the master tapes over. Has nothing to do with the core guitar sound, which is already pretty much set in stone once the parts are recorded.

Obviously you are right because you have a guitar in your avatar and you claim to own an amp. Please enlighten us with your vast knowledge of guitar.

I am right because I have a good ear for guitar production, nothing else. Still life does not have a terrible mix, but it suffers from the guitars being improperly eq'd. i.e, the highs are somewhat harsh. In addition, all the instruments are somewhat lo-fi sounding (likely do to less than steller recording equipment). Also, the original mix was not translated well to work with multiple types of audio systems. The more recent albums have better guitar production, for one simple reason, They do a far better job of clearly conveying the actual tones of the guitars and amps to the listener.

Remixing has nothing to do with the guitar sound afaik. Remixing is, cleverly, doing the mix of the instruments from the master tapes over. Has nothing to do with the core guitar sound, which is already pretty much set in stone once the parts are recorded.

But the problem is that in a mix, the guitars will sound nothing like the unprocessed solo takes. The tone is usually highly minipulated using things like parametric EQs, multi-band compression, and millions of other little tricks that producers use to make the guitar sit in the right frequency ranges. I'd go as far as to say that the way a track is mixed can have just as much impact on the final sound as the amps and guitars used to record the original takes.