Recording DI Guitars with Focusrite 8i6?

mirflee

SSL Studios
Feb 19, 2007
Hello all,

I'm using the Focusrite 8i6 with my Telecaster Custom with JB's fitted in the bridge to do my demos from home. I'm doing it through the 8i6's Instrument input. The DI levels I'm getting are pretty hot and it's kinda worrying. It usually hits above 0db and sometimes, if I really go aggressive on the strings, it clips.

The Focusrite guys suggested I lower the JB's and try again. Before I do that, what's the best optimal DI level that I should be looking at?

Many thanks.

Better to go fo -3 dbFS to avoid converter overdriving, but I`m think that it is not possible with most current focusrite interfaces and similar. Lowering pickup can also lower highs, JB is pretty hot for interface with such input level, can require significant amount of lowering... Maybe you can simply turn guitar volume down to get similar result (also less highs then full volume) without clipping.

The exact reason why I sold my 8i6. Get an interface with a pad, that's my advice.

No disrespect to the Focusrite guys but their advice on lowering your pickup is bullshit. IMO the scarlett interfaces are a fail.

On the other hand, I love my pro 40:)

Ah, bought the 8i6 thinking that it's a huge step up from my old Toneport. Guess I was wrong, anyway, I do have a POD HD 500, will that work? Run my Tele through the HD 500 then the Focusrite?

The exact reason why I sold my 8i6. Get an interface with a pad, that's my advice.
On the other hand, I love my pro 40:)
Not every pad is good enough... for example Saffire 6 USB have one... but initial gain is too high, so that level with pad is like on other interfaces without pad :)

Speaking of guitar DI's and Saffire Pro 40, I've been meaning to ask, for anyone that records their DI's with a countryman 85 do you turn on the phantom power, pad, or inst button...?

hey dude I've had exactly the same issue with my Pro 40.After weeks of trial and error I solve the puzzle switching to a different guitar I borrowed from a buddy of mine .His guitar was a B.C Rich.No D.I Box used just straight to an instrument input.Hope that helps.\m/

The same problem with Scarlett 18i6 and Cort X6 guitar. When I play some heavy stuff, it peaks a lot. I had the idea of making some kind of a pad adapter, which lowers the signal coming from the guitar, before it enters the instrument input, but due to a lack of time I left the idea. When I'm just playing for fun it's not such a problem and when I'm recording I use Behringer DI100, no problems at all.

I have the 8i6 and jbs in a Scott Ian double cut away and it doesn't clip. In the scarlett mix control software where you do all the routing you have options for high/low line/instrument for your inputs. You need either low for inputs 3 and 4 or line for inputs 1 and 2.

So, suggestions are :

1. DI Box with a Pad switch

After spending a couple on the 8i6, it might take a while for me to actually invest in another piece of gear/equipment being a student and all. Nevertheless, what's a good and cheap DI to get? Apart from the Behringer's cause I've read that it breaks easily?

2. Lowering the JB's

I've tried lowering them and it doesn't feel the same. I felt that it loses some sort of sustain and bite. Sounds too clean so I don't think I'll go with lowering it any further.

3. Scarlett MixControl

I have the 8i6 and jbs in a Scott Ian double cut away and it doesn't clip. In the scarlett mix control software where you do all the routing you have options for high/low line/instrument for your inputs. You need either low for inputs 3 and 4 or line for inputs 1 and 2.

Tried running through the Line input and the tone's sort of became muffled and muddy. Sounded as though I'm having the Tele on its neck pickup. On the other hand, will try running it through inputs 3/4 on either High/Low gain.

Thanks again for the suggestions guys, really helps. Keep them coming!

EDIT : One last thing, -3db would be the optimal level for DI Guitars?

Maybe try adjusting the input controls on your amp sim or increasing the gain with a trim control on the faders of your daw. Honestly I use a Universal Audio 610 as a DI which has its own gain so I get the extra level out of the UA 610 so it is hitting roughly -5. Once I'm mixing down I adjust the inputs of the amp sims to either get more punch (less input) or tighter and compressed (more input).

I don't want to rain on your parade but overall I'm pretty disappointed in the 8i6. Lots of stability issues for me, once I go on the net the whole pc has to be reset to have it work again, it has problems with other usb devices being plugged in and that suggestion from the customer service about lowering the pickups is a joke. It's like the customer service guys have no idea about recording high gain guitars. Apparently the 2i2 has no options for adjusting the inputs to low and high gain so unless you have a di it's useless for anyone doing rock/metal or guitar driven music.

People have been bugging API for years to add output attenuators to their preamps because of this exact problem. I've solved it in the past using a line pad before the converter, but to see this type of thing on an interface preamp where you don't have this option is just bogus. It drives me nuts to buy a new piece of kit and find out its useless until I buy something else I didn't account for.

Your best solution is a padded DI as others have said. I've got a radial pro DI for sale in the merch stand section, otherwise save up and get something decent. Cheap Dis can be noisy and it can be a nightmare for reamping

Am I right that inputs 1-2 with line settings have higher input level, but EXACTLY SAME impedance as in Hi-Z mode?
Specifications mentions that line impedance for inputs 1 to 4 is 10k, i.e. not suitable for guitar with passive pickups...

Point taken about the DI Padded box.

Anyway, anyone ever try any JB fitted guitar through a POD HD? Does the pad switch help much at all? I have one but its with a friend and I could only get it back next week when he's back from his overseas trip.

Point taken about the DI Padded box.

Anyway, anyone ever try any JB fitted guitar through a POD HD? Does the pad switch help much at all? I have one but its with a friend and I could only get it back next week when he's back from his overseas trip.
Keep in mind the type of pickup isn't the only factor. My ESP with a Duncan custom is louder than my g&l with a JB and the custom is lower output. Some guitars are just loud.

Am I right that inputs 1-2 with line settings have higher input level, but EXACTLY SAME impedance as in Hi-Z mode?
Specifications mentions that line impedance for inputs 1 to 4 is 10k, i.e. not suitable for guitar with passive pickups...

i was wrong. it sounds worse with passive pick ups through line input

Hey guys, I did a search and found out that I could adjust the levels of the D.I. with a VST Plug. Someone here suggested Sonalksis FreeG.

The reason being why I haven't tried it out is because it isn't free. Does it make sense to use it?

I would think that you'd still have clipping in the input stage which is where your problem lies. Since the 8i6 doesn't had a pad function you will probably want to look into something the plugs between your guitar an the interface, which pretty much needs to be hardware-based. Have you tried selling the 8i6, or trading it for something that more suits your needs? Might be an option if you're out of funds.