Recording Kick after the rest of drums

jangoux

May 9, 2006
So, i've never done it, nor i agree with this, but I'll be recording a metalcore band neext weekend and the drummer proposed recording the kick AFTER the rest of the drums. So, we'd record the drums with a basic kick beat, and after we'd record the kick with the full groove. He says the Chimaira guy did that, but i dunno...anyone done that?

If you're gonna do this, I'd just program it instead of recording after.

Not a bad idea, although it'll probably affect the feel of the original tracks quite a bit, especially on fills that go between kick/snare/toms and whatnot.

I'd dampen the fuck out of the kick and put a blanket over it to mute it as much as humanly possible, and them program it in afterwards if you want to go with this route.

But i think he wants to do it only on the more complicated groove, those with very fast kick patterns...I wll catch the signal also as MIDI, so anyone it would be easier to correct that than to program it, wouldnt it?

I used to program in kicks ALL the time on drummers who wanted to play fancy stuff with their feet but really couldn't

Done it before, worked out ok. Only once though when the drummer had hurt his ankle, we tracked all the simple stuff and all the rest of the kit then did the kicks later when it wasn't hurting so much. Ended up good but only because the drummer knew what he was doing and could normally crack it.

I can't imagine Andols tracking like that.

Should be simple enough and likely preferable. Quantize that midi and you're done editing the kick and you don't have to worry about it being in the OH's at all.

I've had guys not play the kick during sections like blast beats that they're incapable of pulling off. Saves a lot of headaches when I simply drop some 16th midi notes in and move on.

I'm just going to say it.. Why not learn your fucking instrument properly and practice until you can play it? Or DON'T play it at all!
OMG THIS CD IS SICK LISTEN TO THE DRUMMER!... Go see them live... *facepalm*

I hate that so much!

Ask the drummer why he wants to do this...

Because he says he can't play it tightly/clean with the click track (imagine without the click)...I listened a live reocrding of the band, and while blast beats were OK, the faster patterns were not tight enough to sound good, so i doubt that for recording he can make it better.

So you guys wouldnt even bother to mic the kick this way, just trigger it and quantize, right ? My kick is a 24" one, so that would not make sense to mic it at all to record metal anyway...

i personally think this is dumb and agree the drummer should be able to do it regularly. I've become an asshole lately when it comes to stupidity and tell them either we do it my way and it sounds good or we do it your way and it sucks. and i'll let them do it their way and they'll always say 'man i should have listened to you'. Oh yeah and this is also why I outsource all my live drum recording work now. If i'm not programming I don't wanna do it. Also I don't do live drums much anymore because I don't have the proper room or proper mics to do so correctly so why waste my time triggering and slip editing and quantizing when in the end we could have saved hours/days by just programming it all and *gasp* coming out with the SAME exact sound either way....

I'm just going to say it.. Why not learn your fucking instrument properly and practice until you can play it? Or DON'T play it at all!
OMG THIS CD IS SICK LISTEN TO THE DRUMMER!... Go see them live... *facepalm*

I hate that so much!

Last edited by a moderator:
Because he says he can't play it tightly/clean with the click track (imagine without the click)

if he can´t play it tightly then tell him to learn it or you just program it. otherwise you have double the work (recording his shell kit then recording his crappy double bass and then editing all his shit work).
in the end nearly all of the modern productions have programmed double bass (call it edited if you like :lol:). so why bother?

i've facepalmed at plenty of terrible metalcore bands and just said "listen...just...as long as i can tell what you're TRYING to do on the kick, it's fine..... just focus on the click and on what your hands are doing."