Recreating a tubescreamer with plugins

RichMinerva

New Metal Member
Jul 27, 2009
Hey guys

I figured with the sim screamers they're what makes my sims really grainy fizzy

So I'm wondering how best to go abou lt recreating the circuit path using plugins to see of that makes much of a difference

yeah to simulate a real ts there much more needed, see my link to R.G. on geofx.
but why would you want to re-build a ts, there are very cool vst-simulations out there!
take a look at ongels TSE 808 V1.1, you can modify nearly all values of the virtual components. (again, see geofx about theire function)

i only use a eq because i dont like the "compressing"-effect of the real ts.my eq-curve is also much different from the real thing. but it is for the same effect - reduce muddyness from pickups.

my sims really grainy fizzy

This is something you solve with 1) a great sounding cab impulse like GuitarHack's and 2) EQ at the end of the chain. Lo-pass at 7-8000hz, major cut at 3000hz and you should notice audible improvement.

Unfortunately you're all missing the point

This is something you solve with 1) a great sounding cab impulse like GuitarHack's and 2) EQ at the end of the chain. Lo-pass at 7-8000hz, major cut at 3000hz and you should notice audible improvement.

ESPECIALLY YOU!

I'd be quite interested to see a spectrum analysis of a tubescreamer to see what's going on frequency-wise. Might have to give it a go when I'm next at the studio.

For comparison
Ignite%20Stomps%20TS999.png

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12303777/ScreamerTEST/Ignite Stomps TS-999.wav
(taken from http://forum.guitarplayer.ru/index.php?topic=218186.0)
And reamping through my screamer (just result of screamer, level is 6 db lower because it`s hardware, settings is similar)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3630120/Chris Custom Screamer.wav
I had troubles with recreating similar sound with TS 808 (but did not played with components values), maybe TS-999 prototype is also based on TS Mod schematics, so it sound similar.

(facepalm)

Fact#1: TS is a dynamic device.
Among other things it does, it CREATES new frequencies in the high mid range.

Fact#2: EQ and IR engines are static.
EQ only amplifies what is already there, it can't create anything NEW and of value in that high mid range region out of the stuff that is usually there.
IR engines can only substract (kinda carve) frequencies out of your signal - if the impulse is an uniform white noise, the signal will be unaffected, if it has some holes and valleys in its frequency spectrum, these holes will get "carved" into the signal.

So the only thing you can say that is possible to kinda (not really because of the compression) emulate with EQ and IR is the bass response.

(facepalm)

Fact#1: TS is a dynamic device.
Among other things it does, it CREATES new frequencies in the high mid range.

Fact#2: EQ and IR engines are static.
EQ only amplifies what is already there, it can't create anything NEW and of value in that high mid range region out of the stuff that is usually there.
IR engines can only substract (kinda carve) frequencies out of your signal - if the impulse is an uniform white noise, the signal will be unaffected, if it has some holes and valleys in its frequency spectrum, these holes will get "carved" into the signal.

So the only thing you can say that is possible to kinda (not really because of the compression) emulate with EQ and IR is the bass response.

He speaks the truth. If you are thinking that you are emulating a TS by simply putting a LP at 7k and a boost at 1.5khz you are so wrong