recreation day vs. inner circle

Alf_svensson

New Metal Member
May 5, 2002
Visit site
What do think of the developement from recreation to inner circle? I think they needed to make a weak album to get new inspiration for such a strong album as inner circle. I was really afraid that they were just going to get more boring and "popier", but boy was I wrong!:headbang:

I always seem to be in the minority in that I LIKE Rec Day. As in, more than the first three. I tend to think of Inner Circle as a spinoff of a theme on that album, so I don't think of it as "better," just as a continuation.

(does that make sense? *eyeballs the vodka on the desk*)

Recreation Day is my favorite evergrey album. I can't stand it when people like stuff just because it's heavy. Even though that might not be the case, but I'm just gussing that's what it is. I would'nt consider it weak at all. That album has some of the best melodies ever, not to mention arrangements and keyboard parts. Not to take anything away from "The Inner Circle", A touch of Blessing is the best Evergrey song so far. but when it comes to great songs i count more on Recreation Day.

I think Recreation day is the most heaviest album of Evergrey but one of my favorites! Okay: Inner Circle may be better but Recreation day kicks ass too!

Well to me it seems that most people have RD among their absolute favourites (judging from the Best Evergrey Album Thread) but to me it's quite the opposite. I found it to be the least inspired work they have put out so far and agree with Alf that TIC was a big step forward again. RD seemed to lack the emotion that the previous albums had (or perhaps it's another type of emotions that's shown on that album and I have a bigger difficulty connecting with them?) Something that would be more interesting than just listing the albums in your favourite order would be to also include the time you became a fan of the band. I think that a lot of people, especially in the USA, first got to hear about Evergrey through RD and therefore have it as their favourite. And we that have had the privilege to listen to the band for a longer period hold the earlier albums in higher regard. But that's just a small theory of mine.

I think emotionally RD is incredible, not as good as ISOT in that sense. The title track especially, along with"As I Lie Here Bleeding". As far as being the heaviest I would disagree. I think the heaviest is probably The Dark Discovery, it is also the darkest one in my opinion. But I did get introduced to Evergrey through RD and I remember singing along with every song from that album at Progpower.

I think "Recreation Day" is an incredible work and superior to "The Inner Circle". I think many people don't like it because it is a different approach, displaying much more diverse song-oriented material instead of the concept consistency and sinister darkness of the other albums. I think songs like "Your Darkest Hour" and "As I Lie Here Bleeding" rank among the most emotional Evergrey songs ever. And I certainly miss the excellent riffs and aggression of "Recreation Day" on the new album.

I just got both albums a month ago and RD strikes me as better and cooler. I don't know much about the band or any "agendas" of people wanting it heavier or whatnot, but as a fresh ear, RD made me a fan.

RandyEllefson said:
I just got both albums a month ago and RD strikes me as better and cooler. I don't know much about the band or any "agendas" of people wanting it heavier or whatnot, but as a fresh ear, RD made me a fan.

I think you can run into any of them and you would still be a fan. My first experience was the ISOT, and it was cool. Recreation Day I enjoyed a lot indeed, and its really clean, heavy and nicely done and cool metal.

The Inner Circle is just different, and it totally rocks. Not many times you can follow a story like that in any genre. Different, at least equally good, and sometimes superior and sometimes not.

Then we have the other ones, which I start to really get into as well. Basically, Evergrey rocks!

RD is my favorite cd. It has The Great Deceiver on, I mean come on! Also, yes it is a softer emotional type cd (I was on my way to Football practise, and my friend was getting a ride, we were listening to RD, I could see the look on his face was just WTF is this. He even said, who the hell is this. So I guess he thinks they are a pussy band, but he didn't hear Great Deceiver. But WTH I love Eg's music). But it still makes up for it by having really Kickass Metal songs (Blinded, The Great Deceiver). I love the guitars in Madness Caught Another Victim. The acoustic just kicks ass! I like all of their songs, I don't think any of their songs suck or are even slightly bad.

I definitely choose The Inner Circle over Recreation Day. Recreation Day certainly is incredible, however, I was not moved by Recreation Day nearly as much as I was by The Inner Circle.

From a musical standpoint Recreation Day IMO was superior to The Inner Circle. From a conceptional standpoint and the execution of that concept The Inner Circle is superior(considering RD isnt a concept album, makes sense)

However when it comes down to it my ears like RD more.

OK, I'm a bit behind in catching up with this thread! I was really surprised when I read your comment, Jaime, because it seemed to me that I have been in the minority in thinking that RD is Evergrey's weakest effort. Not that I don't like it, I do--I just don't think it's as inspired as their other releases. I was pleased when I heard TIC because I felt it was a step in a stronger direction for them, IMO.

I started listening to Evergrey after the first ProgPower USA, so before ISoT came out. But ISoT is definitely at the top for me, followed closely by SDT. Although the way things are going, TIC may be up there pretty soon! RD is at the bottom of my personal list, but it has grown on me more over the past few months--The Great Deceiver, End of Your Days, I'm Sorry, and Blinded are my favorites (still don't much care for the title track--not quite sure why).

I really think it's a personal thing, whatever speaks to you more strongly. I don't think one is necessarily "better"--they just appeal to people in different ways.

Lorraine

I don;t see Recreation Day as being weak in any sense. Great songs, great melodies, great heavy riffs, and great variety (I'm SOrry, Madness Caught Another Victim...)

As I Lay Here Bleeding and Blinded have to be two of the best driving songs....
AILHB is one of my favs off the album period - but Recreation Day is just such an amazing song. I thought so when I first got the album without a doubt - I could instantly feel the emotional undercurrent of the song. And then months later, I experienced a personal loss of a loved one myself. And for weeks, I could not listen to that song without breaking down and crying.

Now with that initmate connection to the theme of the song, RD will never lose its emotional punch for me. Definitely one of the band's best.

(Although I would absolutely put Touch of Blessing on my list of their best songs ever in a heartbeat - oh yeah....)

Well, I certainly don't view RD as weak- in fact, I'm not real enthused about The Inner Circle for the most part. Don't get me wrong, the idea that brought it about was great and the lyrics are deep, but they did a little too much "sampling" for my taste. Although I do enjoy 3 or 4 songs on that CD, it's not like ISOT where I liked every song, or Recreation Day where I liked all but one. The questions of which one is better lies within your own personal taste.