Recto Comparisons: 2ch Dual vs 3ch Triple, spongy vs bold, tubes vs silicon

Lasse Lammert

HCAF Blitzkrieg
Feb 12, 2009
www.lasselammert.com
Since Svartsot brought their 3 channel Rectos into the studio I had the chance to compare them directly and record some quick clips.
#these clips only show a quick snapshot and you shouldn't read too much into them though.

Settings were roughly the same on all the amps/channels

Although I still prefer the 2ch for the "organicness" and the slightly more 3d sound I have to say that the 3ch also has got some qualities, I think the more compressed sound of the red channel on the newer models could work quite nicely with some bands.

Amps/channels:

2ch dual red modern

3ch triple red modern

3ch triple orange modern

Powersection:

2ch dual bold silicon

2ch dual bold tubes

2ch dual spongy tubes

Here they are all in a zip folder

sorry Marcus, no Roadster ;)

Thanks a lot for these, I've always been curious about the different settings but I don't have a Rectifier. I'll probably have to normalize them before I decide which I like more, since there's quite a bit of variation in volume between them. So far my first impressions are that all sound good, but they would be suitable for different scenarios.

damn there really is a difference... but isnt it possible whats making the difference is the tubes? or do they have the same tubes?

The 2 channel has wayy more top end, im not sure if thats exactly a good thing though now....and im curious about the triple, everybody says it sounds the same as a dual just an overkill with the volume potential.

Interesting - to be honest, the Triple Red kinda sounds like the Dual Modern just with slightly less gain, and the Triple Orange sounds cool but a bit muffled; would've been nice to hear a 3-channel Dual, but still interesting to hear the similarities!

Rectifier tubes are a thing of the past - that’s why most modern amplifiers don’t use them. When tubes rectify AC, they take a little of that power on their own, so to speak. Diodes are much more efficient and cheaper. There are some guys that say that tube rectifying has a particular “sound”... well, to me, it’s a weaker, looser sound, and we sure don’t want that, at least in our metal tones!

Really liking the Triple on orange mode the best. I can understand to some it might sound muffled, but I like that kinda smoothed out high end.

Rectifier tubes are a thing of the past - that’s why most modern amplifiers don’t use them. When tubes rectify AC, they take a little of that power on their own, so to speak. Diodes are much more efficient and cheaper. There are some guys that say that tube rectifying has a particular “sound”... well, to me, it’s a weaker, looser sound, and we sure don’t want that, at least in our metal tones!

Honestly, sometimes it's like this board is in a vacuum where only death, thrash and more "tighter" sounding styles of metal exist.
I mean, I like Nevermore, Megadeth, Opeth etc like many of the guys here, but it's like people forgot stuff like stoner metal and sludge metal exist.
Particularly in sludge metal, rectifer tubes are not a thing of the past, and many guitarists revere them for being able to give them a looser, essentially sludgier tone that works better for their style of music and playing.
What to one man is weaker and looser (in the bad way) could be stronger and looser (in a good way) to another.

for anyone interested triple on channel 2 orange/vintage cloned similar to the channel3/modern blends really nicely with the mark v.

Honestly, sometimes it's like this board is in a vacuum where only death, thrash and more "tighter" sounding styles of metal exist.
I mean, I like Nevermore, Megadeth, Opeth etc like many of the guys here, but it's like people forgot stuff like stoner metal and sludge metal exist.
Particularly in sludge metal, rectifer tubes are not a thing of the past, and many guitarists revere them for being able to give them a looser, essentially sludgier tone that works better for their style of music and playing.
What to one man is weaker and looser (in the bad way) could be stronger and looser (in a good way) to another.

Rectifier tubes are a thing of the past because they are literally outdated in its inherent functioning. It affects the sound negatively. You can find that effect useful or artistically pleasant, but the power leakage during AC rectifying wasn't something engineers were looking for. For example, if I wanted a looser drum sound, I would do something about that during the mix, not tune the drums or mic ‘em wrong.