red fore fire vs black for death

rammpeth

Dec 12, 2005
i go with the first one personally, although "silver dwarf" just has one of those big dumb riffs you have to love

I haven't heard the new one so I can't really say anything hehe :rolleyes: . I'm actually quite eager to see the opinions about the 2nd cd around here, I want to know what to expect whenI buy it (in Norway :headbang: ).

its really grand, just like part 1. but i guess i was expecting something more brutal with that name

Red for fire

black for death has, in my opinion, too many instrumental songs.
they should make another album like Neonism or Pills!!! lol just kidding, but honestly i think the Icelandic Oddysey aint far as good as the older Solefald.

edit:
oh btw, from the Solefald thread (which apparently no one pays attention to anymore) :
any chance for new merchandise, and the reissues? we still haven't heard the long lost forgotten track on Neonism..!

but i think they did manage to be "true" with this release. not true solefald, but true viking metal. i dont think however that solefald will continue in this direction, at least i hope not, 2 discs are enough

Huhu so the album is more instrumental and "relaxed" than RFF? Just like remmpeth I expected something REALLY brutal, dunno, lots of axes chopping off christian heads or something hehe :lol: :kickass: :headbang: .

Oh well i know 'tis a great album and that as with every Solefald album I would totally love it.

And after reading the comments of this thread I wondered how Solefald's next album may be... . Hmmmm good question... .

the mighty Solefald guru has spoken. it's impossible to explain their music to a person who has never heard them.

well quite frankly i don't really agree with you there Karps. i mean, just look at the facts. 5 out of 12 tracks of Black for Death are either instrumental, or slow, acoustic: Underworld, Lokasenna 2&3, Spoken to the end of all, Dark waves dying.
Red for Fire on the other had only has 3 out of 10 instrumental tracks: Bragi, Prayer of a son, Lokasenna

so eh, do you know if we'll ever get to hear Cosmophony?

Azzor, just because it's an instrumental, does not mean it's relaxed. None of the songs with vocals are very relaxed at all, only really the beginning to Queen in the bay of smoke. The instrumentals aren't very relaxed, they're epic and very dynamic, filled with climaxes, perhaps relaxed moments in order to make them more dynamic. The only really relaxed songs I can think of are Spoken To The End Of All, and Underworld I suppose, since it's more or less a brief jazz instrumental.

SILVER DWARFFFFFFFFFFFF. haha rammpeth, you are so cool. I'm glad someone sees how hilarious and awesome that song is, especially you!

Black for Death beats Red for Fire hands down. I still haven't really gotten into Red for Fire, the "harsh vocals" in Survival of the Outlaw and Where Birds Have Never Been stille seem to bother me, although not as much as they did at first. Black for Death, however was love at first listen. If it weren't for Neonism and Pills Against the Ageless Ills, this would be my favourite album by Solefald. Necrodyssey, despite the silly title, is my favourite song at the moment.

Heh, yeah I kinda gathered that from the other albums as well. Esp. Buy My Sperm shows that kinda dry humour. I like it, I just don't think Necrodyssey is a fitting title for a song that epic. But that is also the only thing wrong with the entire album.

Well, I've always found that whenever Solefald starts to get very serious with anything, suddenly something funny sneaks in. Consider that another example

not that i like to make comparisons but doesnt survival of the outlaw sound really really agalloch-esque at one point? (or maybe agalloch sounds solefald-esque?)

Hm, you think so? I'm interested to hear why you think so. I don't really hear a similarity. Survival of the outlaw is much more extreme, heavy and much faster than anything Agalloch has done in my opinion. It just feels much more thrashy/deathy than Agalloch ever is.