Relax

Jaymz

Stymphalian Productions
May 20, 2006
York
www.facebook.com
Howdo,

Ive been having some recording issues recently......or I always have but ive been recording a lot more recently.

Everytime the REC button is hit I freeze up and "blank" half way through playing loads. Tonight for example, I was well fired up the track some solo sections for my song and I must have played these about a million times + I wrote them so I should be able to nail them pretty much instantly....anyway I got through the first section after about 12 takes...fair enough I told myself. Then I started this sweeping section...and fuck me 192 takes and I just gave up! I just cannot seem to chill when recording, I fuck everything up, especially solo work.

The more I play something the more angry I get...meaning the more I fuck up. Im not one of these guys who will throw the guitar out the window or anything but fuck sake I feel so stupid! Im not exactly an inexperienced guitarist :cry: I plan on trying again tommorow because I REALLY need to get these sections down and I want them tight as fuck :( *even worse haha*

Has anybody got any tips on silly people like me in a studio? Besides getting totally rat arsed because I tried that and had to re-record the takes when I sober'd up :lol:

Or is there anybody else like this?

Strange topic I know =)

Ta

Did you warm up before tracking?

I did a bit of a warm up before I started, I usually always do otherwise I feel a stiffness in my knuckles. I think its physiological myself...because if ive got say a lead line to play which is pretty simple it will take me ages, however if something is pretty tricky with a lot going on then im not as bad. I think it might be because there is more time to "think about fucking up", Its almost like one half of my brain wants me to fuck up! *hits head* :p

I think theres quite a difference between playing something and then recording it. I've only recently started to practice my playing by recording and double tracking alot of riffs and it helps incredibly. I think it's just a confidence thing, you obviously know you can do it but sometimes when its time to record it goes to hell.

I think theres quite a difference between playing something and then recording it. I've only recently started to practice my playing by recording and double tracking alot of riffs and it helps incredibly. I think it's just a confidence thing, you obviously know you can do it but sometimes when its time to record it goes to hell.

Sure does! I know what you mean about doubling guitars, ive been doing a lot of quad tracking and thats helped me. I guess I just need to keep at it thus getting used to doing it on a regular basis :loco:

Assuming you're able to nail the part 110% (which you should be able to before even attempting to record), and you're still messing up, like you said in the title, just relax man. Don't think of it as "recording." Tell yourself you're just jamming on your song. That should take the pressure off. And if you're still messing up after that, go outside for 10 minutes, get a drink of water, etc.

How about record the solo, then record again on another track while listening & playing along to the first track. Do this over & over, always using the best take (so far) to play along with. ? Or do you do this anyway?

Steve Morse once told me that he practices each solo at half speed. And if he can play it without mistake 10 times in a row, then he knows he can also play it at full speed.

I tried this and it is MUCH harder than it sounds, but it really helps your cleanliness.

Hah! I know that feeling. There was this triplet sweeping part in a tune we recorded. No biggie at rehearsals or so, but when it came to record, that damn non-triplet drumming fucked with my head. Couldn't nail it, so we removed that part. Which is kinda sad, 'cause it sounded awesome. Now I realize I could have just muted the drums and played along the 1/4 click instead. But hey, n00b ;)

Honestly, sometimes a few beers can help alot. When my band was recording our album, there'd be three or four people in the room with me when I'm tracking, and having a few beers can just make you a little less nervous, and you don't play those mind games about fucking up that you were talking about. Obviously, its a very fine line between having a good buzz and being too drunk to play as tight as possible, but if you can handle it, I find that works sometimes.

Ive worked with a few guys who dont think twice about playing something live where you only have one hit at it but when they come to record and have all the time they need to get it right they freeze up.

I once tricked a guitar player into recording his parts on a song by telling him we were just going through rehersing section by section. Its the old sly hit record but tell him you havent.

The bit I dont get is in the studio you would think there would be much less pressure because you have the option to do everything as much as you need to.

Radd: I was doing that yesterday, well I wanted 2 tracks of the solo but after near killing myself with playing it so many times I just wanted one really good one! Im going to give it another go today. Im also going to do a variation every 2 times or so to keep me focused....harder yet ill no doubt be able to play it better than repeating the same bit over and over :)

Noumenon: Haha yeah! Mines triplets too, I think ill try using more gain because before it was reeally quite brittle sounding which didnt exactly help my sustain much :p

Remy: Looks like ill have to try some beers...*big sigh* :lol: Hopefully I dont get too carried away lol

Smy1: I shall give that a go, Morse is the man! :)

elmuchoescadawg: Exactly, its really strange and annoying at the same time. That trick is a jem, shame Im the one pressing the REC button :p

I think its to do with knowing you have the time to concentrate on something so your thinking about what your playing too much, just letting it flow like live usually produces best results....(why thankyou for my own advice lol!)

Cheeers

Radd: I was doing that yesterday, well I wanted 2 tracks of the solo but after near killing myself with playing it so many times I just wanted one really good one! Im going to give it another go today. Im also going to do a variation every 2 times or so to keep me focused....harder yet ill no doubt be able to play it better than repeating the same bit over and over :)

Noumenon: Haha yeah! Mines triplets too, I think ill try using more gain because before it was reeally quite brittle sounding which didnt exactly help my sustain much :p

Remy: Looks like ill have to try some beers...*big sigh* :lol: Hopefully I dont get too carried away lol

Smy1: I shall give that a go, Morse is the man! :)

elmuchoescadawg: Exactly, its really strange and annoying at the same time. That trick is a jem, shame Im the one pressing the REC button :p

I think its to do with knowing you have the time to concentrate on something so your thinking about what your playing too much, just letting it flow like live usually produces best results....(why thankyou for my own advice lol!)

Cheeers

I KNOW!

Get a nice buzz going on and trick yourself into thinking it just a rehearsal and then when you're not paying attention, press record...