Releases 2009!

I got the new Samael "Above" a few days ago. It kicks fucking ass very hard. The first song "Under One Flag" is the best song I've heard from them in like a decade. I kinda feel bad for them though since it's not coming out til first week of June!

Those Above samples I heard on Amazon and Myspace are so good I'm sure I'll be getting this one. I almost couldn't believe what I was hearing. They should definitely continue this direction of ass kickery.

amesoeurs_cover.jpg

Neige, you Frenchie bastard, you've done it again!

So far the likely contenders to make my year end list are Amesoeurs, Mastodon, The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart, Ephel Duath, and Wolves In The Throne Room. As much as I like the new WITTR, it is likely the first bounce off.

just ordered a few jams for listening purposes.

first to arrive was the firstborn - the noble search. wacky buddhist medal! i need to listen to it again but it's kind of like orphaned land and textures minus the weird howling of the vocalist of textures. it's intriguing but did not necessarily grab me on first run-through. i'll try it again today.

soon to arrive:
woe of tyrants - kingdom of might
obscura - cosmogenesis
diagonal - diagonal
dagoba - face the collosus
amaseffer - slaves for life
mena brinno - wicked polly
absu - absu
architects - hollow crown
luna mortis - the absence

to be clear, i'm not sure which of these have actually been released in 2009. :O

I've never really been able to get into doom. Except maybe Forest of Shadows (but I don't know if that even counts) / November's Doom / While Heaven Wept. Actually I don't know if any of those count.

Is there somewhere I should start?

PS. Has anyone heard the Crimfall CD hither? It's kind of silly. Epic folky metal but with less melodicness than you'd normally expect, I think.
Cloudkicker, too - http://cloudkicker.uk.googlepages.com/ instrumental wacky metal, kind of like Meshuggah except you don't feel like your skull caved in afterwards. (both albums are free to download)

I never got into total doomy bands.

I listen to Katatonia, Rapture, Saturnus, Slumber, and Daylight Dies specifically. They have doom qualities for sure. Check them out.