Releases 2009!

I've never really been able to get into doom. Except maybe Forest of Shadows (but I don't know if that even counts) / November's Doom / While Heaven Wept. Actually I don't know if any of those count.

Is there somewhere I should start?

PS. Has anyone heard the Crimfall CD hither? It's kind of silly. Epic folky metal but with less melodicness than you'd normally expect, I think.
Cloudkicker, too - http://cloudkicker.uk.googlepages.com/ instrumental wacky metal, kind of like Meshuggah except you don't feel like your skull caved in afterwards. (both albums are free to download)

Isis isn't doom, they're post rock/metal (see God Is An Astronaut, Red Sparowes, Explosions In The Sky, Cult Of Luna, Neurosis, Intronaut, some Mastodon etc). I actually personally never got into them until this new CD which I reeaaally dig. The bands Bleak Eyes listed are sweet plus My Dying Bride, oldschool Paradise Lost, Candlemass. Stoner/doom like Electric Wizard and Sleep are also win.

It took me years of being into metal for doom to grow on me. And it started with some of the doomish/not-really-doom bands listed above. I'm still not as into it as I am some other genres, but I am starting to get really into sludge as of recent. Baroness especially.

Right. I was referring to Candlemass. I'm fairly familiar with Isis.

I have a Rapture and a Daylight Dies release. I think, in general, it has too much of a downer effect on my mood for me to really enjoy it (when you're like 'bluhbluhbluh life sux :(' afterwards, it's not really worth it).

I think I've been listening to metal for about 9 years now...I guess if I don't like doom now, I'm probably not going to like it.

Right. I was referring to Candlemass. I'm fairly familiar with Isis.

I have a Rapture and a Daylight Dies release. I think, in general, it has too much of a downer effect on my mood for me to really enjoy it (when you're like 'bluhbluhbluh life sux :(' afterwards, it's not really worth it).

I think I've been listening to metal for about 9 years now...I guess if I don't like doom now, I'm probably not going to like it.

Don't think of Candlemass in the same light as Paradise Lost and My Dying Bride. Yes there are similarities, but Candlemass leans more towards the traditional heavy metal vibe. Dio-era Sabbath is without a doubt Candlemass' biggest influence. The new CD is awesome because of it's crushing riffs and infectious as fuck tunes.

Although to be fair, I don't like any of the Candlemass CDs after Nightfall with the exception of this new one.

amesoeurs_cover.jpg

Neige, you Frenchie bastard, you've done it again!

I cannot get enough of this one! :worship:
Even better than Alcest.

It's different from Alcest... I don't think I can even compare the two... hah. Neige is a damn genius, I'm excited for what the future holds for him. I really hope he continues to push musical boundaries.

my word. so many damn good releases in 2k9. here's the one's i'm looking forward to with glee - (buttrock included, neal):

- borknagar
- summoning
- amorphis
- be'lakor
- disarmonia mundi
- EToS
- insomnium
- kalmah
- nightrage
- satariel
- skyfire
- wintersun
- agalloch
- eluvietie
- ensiferum
- morian (look up the song 'warbringer's ball' - catchy as a motherfucker)
- slough feg
- iron maiden
- praying mantis
- between the buried and me
- black messiah
- dream evil
- civilization one
- gamma ray
- masterplan
- wuthering heights
- fairyland
- devin townsend
- dream theater
- orphaned land
- osi
- pain of salvation
- shadow gallery
- vanden plas
- heaven and hell (black sabbath with dio)

DAAAAAAAAAAAMN this year is sexcellent. i thought 2004 was awesome but this may kick its ass.

my word. so many damn good releases in 2k9. here's the one's i'm looking forward to with glee - (buttrock included, neal):

- borknagar
- summoning
- amorphis
- be'lakor
- disarmonia mundi
- EToS
- insomnium
- kalmah
- nightrage
- satariel
- skyfire
- wintersun
- agalloch
- eluvietie
- ensiferum
- morian (look up the song 'warbringer's ball' - catchy as a motherfucker)
- slough feg
- iron maiden
- praying mantis
- between the buried and me
- black messiah
- dream evil
- civilization one
- gamma ray
- masterplan
- wuthering heights
- fairyland
- devin townsend
- dream theater
- orphaned land
- osi
- pain of salvation
- shadow gallery
- vanden plas
- heaven and hell (black sabbath with dio)

DAAAAAAAAAAAMN this year is sexcellent. i thought 2004 was awesome but this may kick its ass.

How could you forget the mighty Nevermore?:headbang:

As far as I know, there's not gonna be a NM album this year. Band hasn't even entered the studio. There are a few bands mentioned in this thread that have me questioning as well (Ensiferum, Maiden...?! No way...).

I don't think Agalloch will have anything out this year either. Maybe next year...
I am syked for about 3 of those albums listed and interested in like 3 more.

The preview for the new Devin Townsend album didn't sound very interesting :erk: