Religion

speed

Nov 19, 2001
Visit site
Are we not far richer because of religion? Would one ever aid ones fellow man had not a loving peaceful Nazarene appeared on earth 2,000 years ago? A loving god who brought democracy to all lands; a man who loved all life, taught us to see the evil of abortion, the love of marriage and the nuclear family, duty to ones government even in times of woe or discomfort, the benefits of multi-culturalism, the goodwill giving donations to one's church creates. I read his good book everyday, and I am inspired to live my life, in the aforementioned ways.

Please share your inspirations and love on this glorious and frolicsome palm sunday!

euhm, is this sarcastic?

there have been more wars because of religion than anything else and some wars are still going on.

However I see some religinous thoughts quite inspiring but religion is just here because people need to try and explain everything. If they can't scientificly they just say it's because "god" did it.

there have been more wars because of religion than anything else and some wars are still going on.

However I see some religinous thoughts quite inspiring but religion is just here because people need to try and explain everything. If they can't scientificly they just say it's because "god" did it.

euhm, so?

The Christian wars I would agree for the most part, as they were negative and in no way good for the human species. But the many thousands of years before that were filled with wars that did much good for the human species, during the times of paganism.

Wars are hardly the truly negative aspect of Christianity, though.

Are we not far richer because of religion? Would one ever aid ones fellow man had not a loving peaceful Nazarene appeared on earth 2,000 years ago? A loving god who brought democracy to all lands; a man who loved all life, taught us to see the evil of abortion, the love of marriage and the nuclear family, duty to ones government even in times of woe or discomfort, the benefits of multi-culturalism, the goodwill giving donations to one's church creates. I read his good book everyday, and I am inspired to live my life, in the aforementioned ways.

Please share your inspirations and love on this glorious and frolicsome palm sunday!

Allow me to share the following:

"'If we only lived as Christ lived, what a beautiful world this would be,' saith all the thoughtless ones. If we lived as Christ lived there would be none of us left to live. He begat no children; he labored not for his bread; he possessed neither house nor home; he merely talked...A God begging for his bread from door to door! A God without a place to lay his head! A God spiked to two pieces of crossed scantling. A God stabbed to death by a hired officer - a God executed by order of stipendary magistrate. What an insane idea."

"Both anceint and modern Christianism and all that has its roots therein, is the negation of everything grand, noble, generous, heroic; and the glorification of everything feeble, atrocious, dishonorable, dastardly. The cross is now and ever has been the escutcheon of shame. It represents a gallows and a Semite slave swinging thereon."

"The 'Divine Democrat' was executed upon a government gibbet, because the rulers of Imperial Rome were more powerful than he was."

- Ragnar Redbeard -

...how's that? Happy Easter!:heh:

Are we not far richer because of religion? Would one ever aid ones fellow man had not a loving peaceful Nazarene appeared on earth 2,000 years ago?
That old George Bernard Shaw quote comes to mind... "The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." Maybe heroin and ecstacy and beer and vodka and vicodin have made this world a richer place, but if anything need to be said about that it's already been said in Brave New World.

OMG it's 4pm Monday here. how does God do it!!! This flat earth is beyond mortal comprehension!!

:kickass:

Allow me to share the following:

"'If we only lived as Christ lived, what a beautiful world this would be,' saith all the thoughtless ones. If we lived as Christ lived there would be none of us left to live. He begat no children; he labored not for his bread; he possessed neither house nor home; he merely talked...A God begging for his bread from door to door! A God without a place to lay his head! A God spiked to two pieces of crossed scantling. A God stabbed to death by a hired officer - a God executed by order of stipendary magistrate. What an insane idea."

"Both anceint and modern Christianism and all that has its roots therein, is the negation of everything grand, noble, generous, heroic; and the glorification of everything feeble, atrocious, dishonorable, dastardly. The cross is now and ever has been the escutcheon of shame. It represents a gallows and a Semite slave swinging thereon."

"The 'Divine Democrat' was executed upon a government gibbet, because the rulers of Imperial Rome were more powerful than he was."

- Ragnar Redbeard -

...how's that? Happy Easter!:heh:

Hehe. Well, the true Christ, although he was all those things you've listed, was at least an admirable figure. His religion, although childish and adolescent, was at least based on the love and respect of all man. And I was essentially joking how modern-day Christianity is being used to validate all sorts of warlike and very un-christ-like things. If Christ was anything, he was totally opposed to the State--a revolutionary if you will. And I chuckle when I see all of this Christian imagery with our imperial war in Iraq; when I hear jesus being used to support capitalism and democracy (the last things jesus would support--anti-gov. and anti-materialism); when I hear Jesus being used to validate marriage and heterosexuality (jesus was either sexually dysfunctional, or just plain sexually odd for a jew); when I hear Jesus being used to support every tribe or color under the sun (jesus was a jew, and only preached to jews despite Paul's best efforts to present him otherwise).

This whole timezone thing makes april fools much funnier ;)
I thought you'd gone bonkers.

I'm joking 100% of the time anyway. But for a Harlequin like myself, April Fools day is my favorite day of the year. A true shame it fell on Sunday and I wasnt able to fuck with everyone at work.

I knew it was sarcastic :loco:

Έρεβος;6028114 said:
euhm, so?

The Christian wars I would agree for the most part, as they were negative and in no way good for the human species. But the many thousands of years before that were filled with wars that did much good for the human species, during the times of paganism.

Wars are hardly the truly negative aspect of Christianity, though.

what good came of war?

Hehe. Well, the true Christ, although he was all those things you've listed, was at least an admirable figure. His religion, although childish and adolescent, was at least based on the love and respect of all man. And I was essentially joking how modern-day Christianity is being used to validate all sorts of warlike and very un-christ-like things. If Christ was anything, he was totally opposed to the State--a revolutionary if you will. And I chuckle when I see all of this Christian imagery with our imperial war in Iraq; when I hear jesus being used to support capitalism and democracy (the last things jesus would support--anti-gov. and anti-materialism); when I hear Jesus being used to validate marriage and heterosexuality (jesus was either sexually dysfunctional, or just plain sexually odd for a jew); when I hear Jesus being used to support every tribe or color under the sun (jesus was a jew, and only preached to jews despite Paul's best efforts to present him otherwise).

Well, you're more magnanimous than I am...that's for sure. In fairness, not everything allegedly proclaimed by the Christ is entirely repellent to me - sort of like the old saw about even the broken clock being right twice a day. Still, most of what he preached and supposedly stood for, is completely irrational and unnatural to me.

I'm not sure he was purely anti-gov't however(though vocally against the Pharisees, etc.) What was that verse about "Rendering unto Ceasar what belongs to Ceasar, etc" - the whole taxation business? He also admonished slaves to "...be submissive to your masters with all respect, not only to the kind and gentle but also the overbearing." (1-Peter 2:18) Clearly the Romans in power were the slaveholders. He was all over the place in many respects...

what good came of war?

Um, nearly every strength that the human species possesses.

What bad came of war? (Except modern shallow war.)

^you mean our fucked up society which is basically a colony of animals
Our modern society is fucked up, but you seem to be saying all human society has been fucked up. This is quite false. There have been a great deal of extremely valuable ancient societies, nearly all of which have been very war-like. A large part of the very reason modern society is fucked up is we try to attain a war-less utopia, snuffing out any hint of rebellion or dissent. And "colony of animals" is "bad" in what way?