remaining happy while listening to katatonias music..

Brave.Archangel

Inside the City of Glass
Well this thought has been in contemplation since I got into the band.

It is difficult for me because I have no solid conclusion on what katatonias beautiful music actually does to my heart...

For the longest time I lived that katatonic lifestyle where I was only awake at night and I basked in the beauty of darkness.. It was hard for me to recover from my alcohol and cocaine addiction through that sea. I did, and now at 19 I'm getting my life back on track but my depression still stirs inside and its wearing me down.

In NO way am I blaming Katatonia for this.. that is totally beyond the question.. but using their music to tend mental wounds just seems... odd right now...

I guess a closing question would be... (or a few questions)
How, or in what way do you listen to katatonias music?
And are you happy?

(weird thread sorry)

Yes.
Although it was kinda hard to enjoy Dissolving Bonds. You can enjoy Katatonia in every mood, methinks, and also remain in every mood. It may sadden you or push you, it may not. That is kinda the beauty in it.

I listen to it on right near dah beach where the mexican girls dance, and play.

Uhh, I guess I was atracted to katatonia for it's beautiful dark sound in the first place, and when I listenend to it I wasn't always that happy.
So I kind of link it to being down.
When I'm not being down I don't listen to it thát often, but whén I listen to it it doesn't really get me down..
So it doesn't really affect my mental state, mostly the other way around... but not always, and... stuff...

Capish?:p

I suggest the threadstarter to make an experience: listen only to happy bands like Smash Mouth for six months straight, then come back and tell us if you're still depressed. This will probably clarify if Katatonia puts u down or not.

I usually 'thrive' on sad or angry music somehow, extremely brutal and aggressive music brings a smile on my face because the power just overwhelms/impresses me. It's similar with sad music, sometimes it's so sad, like some Katatonia songs, it makes me go like "whooaah just listen how sad and depressed that is!" I'm sure Markus can relate :)

I usually 'thrive' on sad or angry music somehow, extremely brutal and aggressive music brings a smile on my face because the power just overwhelms/impresses me. It's similar with sad music, sometimes it's so sad, like some Katatonia songs, it makes me go like "whooaah just listen how sad and depressed that is!" I'm sure Markus can relate :)

How do you know my name? :zombie:

what you have inside brings you down not the music.
i can find positive aspect and maybe joy of life in katatonia music even if the lyrics dont says so.
i know for sure that a person can listen to the most joyful group while projecting a suicide. unfortunately i meet some of them.
i live near sorrow, near mental illness day by day, for my work, for this i'm not going to kill myself or get addicted.
it's good to sublimate this sorrow, so it can go away from the inside...so this is what we actually do when we listen katatonia...

nice and smart thread!

Even if it's lame to you it doesn't mean that the people who do in fact live them didn't want to in the first place...Yes there are plenty of posers out there who act like that because they have no where else to fit in, but some people can't help that. Not everyone is going to live the same life as you, what a pity, but accept it...who are you to say what is lame and what isn't anyways? You're just a piece of flesh with bones, blood, and guts just like us.

And no I'm not this so called "katatonic", but I feel that shit like this shouldn't be said...LAME! :)

Music is the best antidepressant I know of; no medicine could ever help me as much as music has. I wouldn't really say that I'm a depressed person, but I've had my bouts with it in the past and music has always been the best remedy. Using this logic, it's easy to see how people with addiction problems or depression could be attracted to bands like Katatonia. However, I'm sure this isn't the case for everyone; some people just enjoy the beauty of melancholy music.

Music is the best antidepressant I know of; no medicine could ever help me as much as music has. I wouldn't really say that I'm a depressed person, but I've had my bouts with it in the past and music has always been the best remedy. Using this logic, it's easy to see how people with addiction problems or depression could be attracted to bands like Katatonia. However, I'm sure this isn't the case for everyone; some people just enjoy the beauty of melancholy music.

i agree:)