happy/depressing music

No. I do not think happiness is related to the kind of music you listen to. Why would it? Why would listening to slayer make you depressed? Why would listening to anything described as "metal" have this effect? Is the guitars, the drums or the vocals? All music will evoke some emotional response (even when it's really bad music, in which case it is probably more physical and stomach churning) but not necessarily the same across the board.

The other implication of this staement is that people are affected in the way they act by music. Now if you were to agree with this statement then you'd also believe that band X is responsible for some dumb kid deciding to play rambo in his school.

And happy music does not a happy person make. Someone listening to soemthing infectiously happy could be just as depressed/screwed up as someone listening to neurosis.

Music does not affect people in so far that their personality changes. Enviroment is the deciding factor in that one. If a world envroment around someone is negative, then it won't matter what music they listen to, as it won't improve their living enviroment, which is one of the most important things in life.

If anything, music will amplify emotions by connecting them, not vice versa. It can't create something that isn't there

D Mullholand: :lol: yeah you're right. but.

well, this is just a thought i´ve had for a long time really..
If the composer of the music is feeling depressed while composing it, then he might choose notes and create music that fits his mood. It might be a release or something. Maybe he just likes the sound of it or maybe it´s because he's so damn depressed.
So.. IF that is the case, one might be able to feel that a bit.
But yes, we come back to the listener feeling.. and you are completely right on that one. I was just looking at it from another angle :)

When it comes down to it, it´s probably just like with books.. When you read it, you might get a completely different view than the author ever intended.. I just never thought it was the same with music. Well with composed music without words.. it just felt different. lol, and we´re back to the listener feeling. yes, i know, you're completely right.

*runs into a forest screaming* I´ve been living a lie!!
*bumps into a tree and falls into a coma*

Originally posted by Gleemonex
well, this is just a thought i´ve had for a long time really..
If the composer of the music is feeling depressed while composing it, then he might choose notes and create music that fits his mood. It might be a release or something. Maybe he just likes the sound of it or maybe it´s because he's so damn depressed.
sure, this above makes sense. but anyway it would be his own idea of "depressive notes" to choose -- and once creativity takes over, he can't help but make the music something more than just "depressive". i was mostly arguing that we have no reason to suspect that there are inherent mystical emotional forces in the music itself that can prove their existence by affecting every listener in the same way.

you know, i got all these ideas in a forest too, while bumping into trees! :lol:

Originally posted by D Mullholand

we have no reason to suspect that there are inherent mystical emotional forces in the music itself that can prove their existence by affecting every listener in the same way.

:lol: yeah i know what you mean. just like with books, you make a whole class read it and every single person in that class will perceive it differently. sure they might perceive some of the same things but when it comes down to it, they all see it differently. which is the exact reason there should be test asking about stuff which the pupils all perceive differently. i spent a whole winter trying to make my teacher understand this :lol: geez a whole winter, i feel like such a failure :lol: