Do You Find "Depressing" Music Relaxing?

Silent Song said:
you bastard!

i mean, congratulations :D i wish the woman i love would make up her mind already.

Thank you.

Does your woman like Opeth? That's the most important factor.

Silent Song said:
girls don't depress me, they anger me =\

same here. They piss me off to no end. I suppose that could be a form of depression...since it never ends.

Lying stupid bitches.

I'm pretty sure that almost everyone are influenced by different kind of moods when it comes to listening to music. Also, I'm sure too that I'd have wrote something completely different of what I'm about to write.
I've been going through too much problems and I seriously have been feeling very sad this past 8 months. (I'm not counting my mother, neither my sister, I can't count with my friends, they all have their own problems... and the only person I truly love with all my heart has his own too. So, being 'alone' it isn't the best way to face it (...)
These things have costed me serious health problems and if that's not enough (inevitably you have) -not so serious- but mental problems at last.
So being in my position, I have to say that - right now- no, I don't find depressive music, relaxing in any level. Yesterday night, I was in my bed listening music with my discman and I swore to myself not to listen Anathema's Are you There? anymore - for example- at least not until I try to get better.
Some records I can't listen to are:
Opeth: Face of Melinda - When - Damnation.
Apocalyptica: Reflections - Apocalyptica.
My Dying Bride: The Angel and the Dark River - Songs of Darkness, Words of Light - Like Gods of the Sun.
The Cure: Disintegration.
Rotting Christ: Sleep of the Angels.
Antimatter: Lights Out.
A Perfect Circle: Mer de Noms.
Celestial Season: Solar Lovers.
Ulver: Kveldssanger.
Type O Negative: None of them.
Anathema: A Natural Disaster.
Yes.

Hah... sad, guess what? I'm already a depressed person so I don't need to listen depressing music to feel myself like shit - therefore- it doesn't make me feel relaxed AT ALL. So my conclusion now would be 'The more violent it gets, the fucking better' Why? I think it's pretty simple, because I don't have the time to force myself to think (complain/whine/bitch/cry/moan ...god how many synonymous) things that hurts me.
Now that I've spit it out everything, strangely I feel a litle better. How weird.
Ok, that's it. *sigh*

(Please, keep in mind I only read the thread title, not the content, because I didn't have time. In fact, I wrote this at my house, so it's pretty probable that this has nothing to do with anything posted here. My apologies.)

Moonlapse said:
I think there's a clear cut line between the two. Depressing music doesn't have to be relaxing, and vice versa. Strangely, they usually are entwined. I mean I love Portishead's Dummy.. which to me is a really chill-out record, but I think it gives off depressive vibes.

I'm still looking for the sort of lounge music that creates an ambient, laid back atmosphere without necessarily being downpouring and hard to listen to.

Listen to Art of Fighting. Its what I'd describe as laid back pop with a slightly melancholoy vibe and quite thoughtful vocals and guitar lines.

Elek said:
My friends and family sometimes comment on some of the music I listen to as depressing...and I've never even looked at it that way. I always considered it relaxing.

*shrug*

You?

Personally I think that minor keyed peices lend them selves to helping one deal with problems in there life. They dont make one sad, they tend to help me see the light. Just my opinion.

for all your minor melodic easy listing check out
www.timelessthoughts.com

I like relaxing music sometimes, wether it be depressing or not. But, sometimes depressing music makes my mind work, therefore putting me in not so relaxed mood. As with many others, the music I listen to goes hand in hand with my mood. If it's melow depressing music it relaxes me. But if it's hateful lyrics and mmore upbeat music, sometimes it even puts me in a bad mood, and other times it helps me figure out the way Iam feeling about something, or if I pretend Iam singing that song to someone I get in a better mood, sort of like using the music to vent my anger.

I just like slow music :ill: Anathema is one of my favourite bands....Hope to ssee them one day live... I really liked their Latest album as well as their DVD