Chilling

Echolipse

Opethian
Jun 5, 2008
Lakeland, Florida
www.myspace.com
So how often do ya'll find yourself either playing a game or just relaxing to soft Opeth? Can't tell you how much time i've spent playing World of Warcraft and just listening to Ending Credits, Still Day Beneath the Sun, and/or Patterns In the Ivy II and all related songs.

I feel sorry for the people who think our Opeth is nothing but growling and hardcore and refuse to listen and have an open mind. They are so missing out on gorgeous music. :)

So how often do ya'll find yourself either playing a game or just relaxing to soft Opeth? Can't tell you how much time i've spent playing World of Warcraft and just listening to Ending Credits, Still Day Beneath the Sun, and/or Patterns In the Ivy II and all related songs.

I feel sorry for the people who think our Opeth is nothing but growling and hardcore and refuse to listen and have an open mind. They are so missing out on gorgeous music. :)

Being here in Finand people often diss Opeth because thery're not metal enough, not the other way around.

nah, i only listen to the heavy songs. actually, i've edited out all the soft parts from all their songs, actually i've edited out all the parts where mikael isn't mid-growl, so when i listen to opeth it basically just sounds like "RRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

^Metaaaallll!!!!

Funny thread. I have never met an Opeth fan (in person) who doesn't appreciate the "soft" side of Opeth. You'd expect those people to listen to different bands really.

Oh don't get me wrong, I love Opeth for their hardcore parts, ex: Blackwater Park, The Last Conjuration, Master's Apprentice, etc. You get the idea. Just sometimes i'm in that mood of just relaxing. Gotta love it. Most of the time I have a "metal" playlist of heavy metal and death metal i'm playing with a mixture of bands.

I think the reason I love the soft side of Opeth is because of Mikael's voice, the additinal vocals, and the sound of the guitar and the way they make it sing. GORGEOUS!

Yeah, nobody ever says that they are "nothing but growling and hardcore (?)". People mostly don't like them because they are too progressive/pretentious/soft. But not because they're too hardcore :lol:

^ Yeah, obviously there are places in the world where metal isn't as big as say in Germany, but still. None of my friends, not even those who loath metal, think Opeth's too heavy.

^Which is why I try to avoid using the term "Death metal" when I defy Opeth's genre.

Whenever this happens, the discussion goes basically like this:

Someone: "So what kind of music is Opeth?"
Me: "It varies."
Someone: "In general, I mean"
Me "sort of progressive stuff, sometimes metal... You know, it changes from that proggy kind of stuff to heavier parts... Acoustic passages, clean vocals and stuff... and then death metal and growling vocals... Progressive death metal.."
Someone: "WTF"

Perfect explanation.

generally i just don't tell people what music i listen to unless they ask, because in all honesty most people have an absolutely abysmal taste in music. i never try to plug music :shrug:

^Which is why I try to avoid using the term "Death metal" when I defy Opeth's genre.

Whenever this happens, the discussion goes basically like this:

Someone: "So what kind of music is Opeth?"
Me: "It varies."
Someone: "In general, I mean"
Me "sort of progressive stuff, sometimes metal... You know, it changes from that proggy kind of stuff to heavier parts... Acoustic passages, clean vocals and stuff... and then death metal and growling vocals... Progressive death metal.."
Someone: "WTF"

Perfect explanation.

Ya I know how that is, also why I don't tell people what I listen to unless they ask me. Plus I always have that pride when i say "death metal". I like the idea of being into different things that 75% of the rest of the world.

to be honest death metal is probably one of the worst genres because bad death metal bands are way worse than bad bands in any other genre. it's definitely not a genre i'd ever *want* to plug. but on the other hand, i only listen to a handful of metal bands anyways. i've never been proud of listening to a genre because it's "different", more that i'm proud that i listen to real music that most people don't have the capacity or the will to discover (like opeth for ex).

to be honest death metal is probably one of the worst genres because bad death metal bands are way worse than bad bands in any other genre. it's definitely not a genre i'd ever *want* to plug. but on the other hand, i only listen to a handful of metal bands anyways. i've never been proud of listening to a genre because it's "different", more that i'm proud that i listen to real music that most people don't have the capacity or the will to discover (like opeth for ex).

Or you could put it into that complex....... :lol:

and yes i've found some bad and in horrible death metal bands and they just plain suck. it's a wonder why some of my friends and not close friends wonder why i don't expand my "musical taste". I don't want to waste my money on a cd of a band that is just not worth it.

Being here in Finand people often diss Opeth because thery're not metal enough, not the other way around.

lol i hope you're joking. not speaking of metalheads, normal people who hear a single growl would say its crazy satanic nazi music and make fun of you for listening to "that kind of music"
lol @"most people would say opeth is not metal enough"

lol i hope you're joking. not speaking of metalheads, normal people who hear a single growl would say its crazy satanic nazi music and make fun of you for listening to "that kind of music"

And that was one point I was making earlier XD
My parents can't see how I enjoy this music, I love it! but then again, Mikael just brings everything together so joyously :D :headbang: