Do You Find "Depressing" Music Relaxing?

Discouraged Ones is definitely one of the most important depressing rock records of all time. But of course, people put it aside because the band is rooted from extreme metal music. I think alot of Pink Floyd makes me kinda depressed...as well as Porcupine Tree. Alot of spacey bands have a few slow depressing songs that are very important. Same with symphonic prog rock...some King crimson, genesis, van der graaf generator, yes have some depressing songs and some depressing sections of songs that elude into something different.

Yes, I guess I do. When I'm depressed mostly, but sometimes just when I feel like it. MDB is a favourite, they've got a lot of depressing songs.

Iw as listening to Credence yesterday and my roomate (black female vocalist) started singing along and she turned it into an R'n B tune.

that was depressing.

for me depressing music is hard to sliten to at times......prolly "Bridge to cross" by BLS birngs mne down teh most.......at tiems its ncie to hear some depressing music....but when ure donw...its liek...gettin kicked whiel down....so I make sure to lsiten to it sparingly (sp?) .......!!!...........PEAC EOUT

I love depressing doom metal. It doesn't depress me...........it's just so emotional and tragic.........I love it. Some good depressing songs:

Desire - Frozen Heart... Lonely Soul...
Desire - Torn Apart
Forest of Shadows - Eternal Autumn
Forest of Shadows - November Dream
Shape of Despair - Angels of Distress
Shape of Despair - Quiet These Paintings Are
Mourning Beloveth - Sinistra
Mourning Beloveth - Anger's Steaming Arrows
My Dying Bride - Black God
My Dying Bride - For My Fallen Angel
Apocalyptica - Faraway
Eternal Tears of Sorrow - The River Flows Frozen
Godgory - Sea of Dreams
Sirenia - Save Me From Myself
While Heaven Wept - Sorrow of the Angels

Wow that's a lot! :)

Songs themselves almost never make me depressed. (Unless I'm for some reason forced to listen to a song by someone like Ashlee Simpson, and then I become depressed to think that there are a large number of people in the world who actually enjoy her 'music.')

If for some reason I associate a song with a particular memory and the memory happens to be a sad one, that's a different story.

hmm, interesting, i honestly don't find any of the music i listen to depressing. i've actually been depressed for many years now (not the suicidal shit, just unhappy a lot), and many non-metal listeners can easily attribute that to the music i listen to..but as the original poster said, i am 100% sure that it doesn't depress me at all. if anything, it makes me really happy. whether it's soothing, like porcupine tree, pink floyd, or bands like bloodbath or atheist..doesn't matter, it all makes me happy when i listen to it, cause i get enjoyment from the music.

the only depressing band (and i listen to MANY bands) i can think of at the moment, is katatonia, and i listen to them very rarely. actually i think part of the reason i'm not a big fan of theirs is because of this depressing feel i get from their music. so, obviously, if that turns me off, then all of the other music i listen to, i don't feel is depressing me, because i wouldn't want to be any more unhappy than i am, with everyday events..

metal music although slated to be depressing..to me, isn't at all :)

the_drip said:
Iw as listening to Credence yesterday and my roomate (black female vocalist) started singing along and she turned it into an R'n B tune.

that was depressing.
god damn! o_O

interesting what waz and others mentioned, that they don't like listening to depressing music when they're depressed...but for me, when i'm depressed, that's the only kind of music i feel like listening to. i dunno, embrace the whole spectrum of emotions i guess...that's my excuse anyway. maybe i like being depressed by music.

I love depressing music, especially depressing metal. It is very relaxing and it makes me feel warm and special inside. It's very hard to explain. It doesn't necessarily make me a depressed person, but rather it motivates me to get through life. This may sound funny, but I always think about girls I like when I listen to the depressing music, or any music for that matter.

if you are really depressed (clinically?) i don't think you want to listen to any depressing music. who wants to get worse, and more depressed?

but if for example your girlfriend leaves you, and you "feel" depressed, sad etc. you want to listen to "depressing" music to feel comfort in a way.

yeah man when i was depressed cuz i was in love with this girl....all i would do was listen to depressing songs...mostly porcupine tree and opeth...like i was so in love with her, and she didnt like me...so id listen to prodigal or trains by porcupine tree....rain keeps falling down the glass, the good times never seem to last... that always made me feel really sad, but at the same time i enjoyed the overwhelming emotions it brought in me...its like it expressed how i felt...it made me want to make the girl i was in love with listen to it....and the other song trains, the part where he goes always the summers are slipping awaayeeay...that always made me sad cuz id always think about this girl and how i was never gonna get her...and also the part...im DYING of love...in trains...man that always killed me...it doesnt really hurt when i listen to it now, but it did back then...id also listen to opeth's april ethereal..everytime i listened to that i got emotional and would think about this girl....especially when the riff came on at 6:45..to me that was such a sad riff...the rain was waving goodbye...and then take me awaaaayyy that part is soo emotional.

other songs like stars die, even less, lips of ashes, shesmovedon by PT were songs i listened to when i was depressed...just the mood of the songs fit the mood i was in perfectly...i just wanted to connect with the music.

sonata arctica's-tallulah....man that killed me..i listened to that song while i was hopelessly depressed and in love with this girl...that song made me so sad.."i see her walking hand in hand, with long haired drummer of the band....in love with her, or so it seems...he's dancing with my beauty queen"

the long haired drummer of the band was the girl i loved BF to me at least

full moon also got me...and random matchbox 20 songs and 3rd eye blind songs...like 3am, closing time,hows it gonna be and other kinda depressing songs about girls...and also 80's love songs...like breakfast club type stuff...if you were here-thompson twins \m/ lol

also face of melinda. the girl i like has black hair. lol

also rebel yell cover by children of bodom always made me sad. something about the way he had clean vocals, and the way the keyboard sounded in that song.. last night a little dancer came dancin to my door...insert sad keyboards...yeah the girl i liked is a a dancer too lol...pretty much all these songs i listen to close my eyes, think about all the times i laughed with her and all the images of when were together and her smiling...with my eyes closed listening to the music...then i think that i'll never get to have it...that she'll never love me like i love her...

the one time I had no choice but listen to MAYH was when I met someone from internet.
we've been talking since 3 years and i'v been kinda obsessed with her.
then we finally got to meet.
she was travelling from Mexico to Canada.
she had to change planes at Las Vegas
she had 2 spare hours to spend at airport at Las Vegas before she was going to fly to canada
so I drove 6 hours from San Diego to Las Vegas, got to meet her and spent like 1h together at airport. then i "bidded her farewell" and she "turned her back and walked away", passed by airport security, and went towards to her plane, while i was watching her walking away. (ending credits was playing inside me head at that moment lol)

and guess what?
after witnessing her leave,next morning I had to drive 6 hours back to San Diego.
and the only thing I could do, was to listen to this part for 6 hours in my car. (just listen,rewrind listen again,rewrind..looping)

" Run away, run away.
Just one second, and I was left with nothing.
Her fragrance still pulsating through damp air.
That day came to an end.
And she had lost in me, her Credence"

I don't know, i could really relate that part of DoTF to what happened the day before. The lyrics, that's literally what happened me the day before.

+ april etheral's clean vocals part.. you know what i mean.

and ummm the conclusion: depressing music INDEED makes you depressed and could make you cry for 6 hours while driving..

NineFeetUnderground said:
apparently the word catharsis isnt in too many peoples' vocabularies.

Depressing music is indeed a cathartic experience. At least for me.

interesting what waz and others mentioned, that they don't like listening to depressing music when they're depressed...but for me, when i'm depressed, that's the only kind of music i feel like listening to. i dunno, embrace the whole spectrum of emotions i guess...that's my excuse anyway. maybe i like being depressed by music

i agree with you.Depressing music is great and you can totally in it when you are listening.I listen some depressing songs all the time but i enjoy much more when im in a bad and drowning mood.