happy/depressing music

Static

Manically depressed robot
May 5, 2002
Wellington, NZ
Visit site
Just something I've noticed, happy people listen to happy music, unhappy music seem to like harder or less happy music. This doesn't neccessarily apply to some people, but I tend to listen to my happier music when I'm in a happy and when I'm not feeling so happy, my metal.

For example: My friend was depressed for years and listened to Slayer, when he got into drum and bass and rap, he seemed to change completely, and was suddenly a really happy guy.

Do you think that what music a person listens to is in any way an indication of how happy they are? I think that one of the main reasons Opeth is inaccessible is that they hardly ever play only completely brutal or very beautifully in their songs. The fact they have an almost even mix between happy/sad(or angry) means many people cannot stand one or the other.

I can agree that sometime the mood we are in affects the style of music we listen to, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the music dictates our mood. For example, I often listen to Anathema when I'm feeling very well or prefer something up-tempo and "energetic" when I 'm not very well. I don't think that music can make you feel depressed if you're not already close to that emotional state. You can express the way you feel through music but I can't understand how something like the thing that happened to your friend happened. The things we like are supposed to be a "mirror" of our character and emotions but I don't believe I could get depressed just by listening, for example, to My Dying Bride. As for Opeth, I never really associated their music with extreme happiness, since even their more melodic moments are rather melancholic. Anywaym I don't think that difference in feelings can dissuade people from liking them, because nobody is angry or happy all the time. Our emotional state changes constantly so every style of music can have a place in our preferences.

Originally posted by Kveldssanger
I can agree that sometime the mood we are in affects the style of music we listen to, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the music dictates our mood.

i agree. my mood pretty much dictates the music i listen to, esp. if i'm in an extremely happy, pist, or depressed mood. like when i'm pist i'll throw on skyclad to get a nice dose of pist off sarcasm. when i wanna mellow out, usually outcomes Black Water Park.

when i'm happy and i wanna listen to metal i'll prolly throw on Helloween or some other power metal band.

Well, for me depressing music is catharsis-like way to purification. When I'm down, I can listen sad music for hours to maximize my feeling, to reach the bottom of my sadness. When I have wallowed enough in that almost ridiculously depressing and melancholic feelings, I can after that stand up and face the World with one black moment richer...

Well, I'm pretty happy now, and all I listen to is depressing music. ;)

Anyway, to me, it feels more real and honest. If it has that, then I can respect it. Generally, a lot of happy music does not feel honest to me.

There was a post about this not to long ago in the off-topic forum, and I explained that I feel that it is more likely that a depressed person will be attracted to depressing music rather than a person listening to depressing music and becomes depressed.

Besides, happy music will depress the hell out of me. :lol:

Originally posted by TheLedTool
There was a post about this not to long ago in the off-topic forum, and I explained that I feel that it is more likely that a depressed person will be attracted to depressing music rather than a person listening to depressing music and becomes depressed.

yeah i´d agree with that.
but sometimes i´ve noticed that by putting on a jolly "up beat" tune i might go into a jolly mood myself.

but people have said to me that they thought one would end up depressed if one started listening to "instert musician". i´ve never really agreed with that. i don´t think you can GET depressed just by listening to some type of music, either you´re depressed already or it just doesn´t affect you..
well, that's what i think anyway :)

I'm probably going to end up repeating a lot of what I've said before, but...

I think if a song makes you depressed, I think it's generally not because of you just listening to music as much as it what the music is SAYING. There have been times where music has tapped into what I was feeling or, even at times, hiding, and THAT is what has caused the sadness. The meanings in music definitely can have profound effects. I would say that a profound effect would not necessarily be positive and negative in the immediate moment, but would be more useful long term...

Other times, it's what it has represented. I know it had been sort of depressing thinking of songs that reminded me of my ex-girlfriend. But that's nostalgia. That could happen with ANY music.

Also, about the guy who started listening to hip hop and became happier, maybe that music just suited him better. Or, he just needed a change in his life.

Also, I wouldn't recommend Slayer to anyone personally. :lol: I'm really not impressed with them... they're just one of the kinds of band I laugh at. ;)

Just some thoughts.

I agree positive and negative music cannot make you either happy or sad by themselves, it does depend on your mindframe. However, I think they can both serve as catalysts to whatever mood you may be in. If you feel down, and listen to unhappy music, it will make you sadder, maybe without you even knowing it. It weird, but when I'm feeling either really down or really happy, its hard to listen to Opeth. For some reason I like it most when I'm in a 'moderate' mood, not down or up.

I suppose it depends what type of person you are, but I'm happier listening to happy music and sadder listening to unhappy music, but thats not all bad. Klemi mentioned a 'purification' when you feel down and let music tap into your emotions, I agree with that fully.

"happy/unhappy" music is an illusion. there are happy and unhappy listeners who like to use certain sounds to enhance their feelings. all emotions come from the listener, and can be created by extra-musical events too. this is not what music is about, it's too unique to be used like that and then thrown away when you're not into "wallowing" or "patting on the back" anymore.

real music makes me feel inspired. bad music doesn't make me feel depressed. ;)

good thread...

I agree alot with what Klemi and Static have been saying.
I think certain people are more comfortable feeling a certain way...whether thats happy or sad.
If a certain song or tune taps into a previously unrealised depth of the emotion your in, it has a profound effect. You realise something you didn't before, and it makes you or comfortable...even if its in your sadness...

I know I've said this before, but thats probably why I like Opeth so much. They force me to dig deeper to uncover the true emotion behind the song...even if there is a seemingly obvious emotional theme to it.

I agree with Led Tool:
"There have been times where music has tapped into what I was feeling or, even at times, hiding, and THAT is what has caused the sadness."

:rolleyes: I think understand. It's happened to me before. I, unlike what Klemi says, won't continue listening and get even lower. That doesn't work for me. It takes to long to get up again. What I do is listen to depressive music. It makes me feel better if you can believe that. Not worse. It's like a reminder that I'm not alone in pain.

I agree with Cutter:
"If a certain song or tune taps into a previously unrealized depth of the emotion your in, it has a profound effect. You realize something you didn't before, and it makes you or comfortable.

It does! Opeth was definitely the first band to really do that for me. It's become so sacred to me over the past years. Nothing else does it for me quite like metal.

:devil:

I think it's generally not because of you just listening to music as much as it what the music is SAYING.

Yes, true up to a point, but take music like Chopin. Not that it makes me feel depressive unless i´m in the mood for that, but i don´t really know what the music is saying really, there aren´t any lyrics, just notes.

all emotions come from the listener
i don´t think ALL emotions come from the listener. sure, the listener's emotions can make the emotions in the song (if any) more evident or deeper than they are. but to mention Chopin again, i´ve listened to him while in a holly jolly mood and just.. i don´t know what it is, but his music just seems to me to be so sad, i just feel this, i dunno, maybe empathy. maybe just a feeling of knowing there was someone who felt THAT depressed. maybe it has something to do with what Opet said.. maybe it does make me feel good to know that i will never feel as sad as Chopin.

whatever it is, i must say that i´ve just felt like there IS emotion in his music, i´ve felt like i could feel those emotions. that's why i disagreed with what you said D Mullholand, i think there is some music that has emotion.

When it's Friday night and I'm about to go out and party and get drunk I usually put some uptempo 70's funk on. Around 2 years ago I almost listened to funk all the time. Now I almost always listen to sad music all the time. I don't have a manic depression, but I find much more beauty in sad and beautiful music than in, more or less, pure energy music like funk or metal! In the last couple of months I've listened to the beatiful music created by Lee Hazlewood almost all the time!
It takes a lot to impress me, so I'm almost never mad or something. I'm usually happy or "normal". The music of Mr. Hazlewood doesn't really depress me, it simply gives me chills when I hear it because it's so beautiful and sad! It is a kind of depressing music though, but I prefer that at anytime! I'm not depressed, the music simply impresses me more than funk, metal, rock and so on and that's why I listen to it all the time!

Originally posted by Gleemonex
i don´t think ALL emotions come from the listener. sure, the listener's emotions can make the emotions in the song (if any) more evident or deeper than they are. but to mention Chopin again, i´ve listened to him while in a holly jolly mood and just.. i don´t know what it is, but his music just seems to me to be so sad, i just feel this, i dunno, maybe empathy. maybe just a feeling of knowing there was someone who felt THAT depressed. maybe it has something to do with what Opet said.. maybe it does make me feel good to know that i will never feel as sad as Chopin.

whatever it is, i must say that i´ve just felt like there IS emotion in his music, i´ve felt like i could feel those emotions. that's why i disagreed with what you said D Mullholand, i think there is some music that has emotion.
notice the underlined parts in the quote and see how that correlates with my previous post.

you see, there's a universe of music out there that can't be reduced to a word like "happy" or "sad" - or are you saying that every piece of music you listen to can be reduced to a simple emotion-word? besides, you can't know what emotions Chopin felt when he composed his piano pieces -- the emotions he felt might've put him into a state of inspiration, but the music, once he starts playing/composing, instantly gets a life of its own. you can only know the emotions *you* are feeling, and then you suddenly project them onto the sounds you hear.

Chopin's music is very minor-based, and right now in the Western culture minor tonalities are perceived as "sad". in China or Africa i don't think Chopin's music would have the same "sad" effect. as soon as you go beyond tonality into rhythm-dominated music, or noise, or free improvisation, or atonal music, or just about everything, you won't be able to tell the "emotion" because the emotional responses to such music are not culturally established. what i'm trying to say, that our emotional responses to music are mostly created of two factors:
1. instinctive reaction to sounds which might signal "threat" or "safety" (like, harsh sounds resemble a sabre-tooth tiger and are perceived as "dangerous", as opposite to the sounds of birdsong).
2. cultural responses to certain musics that are ingrained from early childhood.
the mystical idea of emotion in sound doesn't have any rational basis. for me, as i said, when i see/hear immense creativity, i am instantly inspired. when i hear something fake, i'm bored and my attention goes elsewhere.

finally, i never said that music doesn't cause emotions or that emotions are bad. it's good that music makes you feel something, you know, i have an emotional connection to some music too, but these connections usually depend on you being in a certain special mood (caused by an event, or just a thought) at least once when listening to a certain music, and then this mood is associated with that music for many, many following listens.

You make some good points D Mullholand. It makes sense that if you grow up exposed to a certain type of music, your going to be more familiar and comfortable with it.

I never thought of the cultural divide between music...I always thought music touched something more primal than mere race or religion.

whats the racial demographic on this board? I've seen plenty of members from the US, Europe, Australia, New Zealand...but haven't seen many from Africa...or the Asian continent?? or the islands... are you out there?

I don't know. It's hard to come up with examples just like that... :lol: I know that when I'm depressed, sometimes I'll listen to a poignant song over and over.

Some ones often:
Soundgarden - Overfloater
Black Heart Procession - Blue Tears
Mad Season - Wake Up
etc.

I'm sure there are others, as well. I do know that there have been times that music has tapped into what I was feeling, and provoked unhappy feelings. But it's all for progression of myself, it seems. I do inevitably feel better getting a chance to express those feelings.

These are generally from specific experiences though. I know that music can tap into it as well as lyrics. I recall a night I heard Nirvana's "Over The Mountain" (for those who don't know, it's a bootlegged song that was never released as a recording), and I immediately felt sadness from it. I've listened to that song many other times without that effect, and I do not feel the lyrics of the songs were what caused that effect... Anyway, I feel that it took something subconscious and brought it to the forefront. I like that. I think the best music does that.

When I'm pissed off I listen to aggressive music like Meshuggah or Static-X. I somehow difuse myself to the music so I don't have to go beating people up...
When I'm feeling joyous I put on Hellacopters or some other lighter rock and Have a blast!
When I feel sad I put Katatonia or some ambient shit...
Opeth I can listen anytime. It has all the feelings.
I would lose my mind if someone puts happy happy joy joy music on when angry or sad...