Remember when 5150's were considered to be crap?

Splat88

Jan 31, 2006
Vegas
I got a 5150 back in 1994 when I was a senior in high school. I caught so much shit for buying it from all my other friends that played in bands. They thought the amp was a joke. Everyone hated it for some reason and I guess Peavey had some sort of bad reputation but I loved it. Its funny how everyone liked 'my' tone, but when they played it they hated it. I remember seeing them used in guitar stores for like $350 and nobody would buy them. I think its hillarious now that those old 5150s are selling for $800 + on ebay.

You mean they're not?:Smug:

JK

I have one because they record well, but they have a buzz/fizz that's not pleasing. I prefer the Engl sound myself.

Well, when I tried the 5150 in the mid-90s, I didn't get a good sound from it right away. That's why I went with the Engl who blew away everything right out of the box. Haven't tried a 5150 since then ...

the first time I ever played through a 5150 it sounded like ass. too much preamp gain saturation, and it just sounded terrible. that was before I learned how to use a tube amp though, and the fact that you're supposed to turn down the gain and turn up the power section ;) since that first time playing a 5150 I've heard many bands sounding great playing through them, and many great recordings using them. so clearly it's how you use them. they're definitely a good amp.

Had mine for a year now, and it's rare that I reach for another amp to record. Well, the dirty stuff, anyway. I still use my rectifier for clean.

-0z-

OzNimbus said:
Had mine for a year now, and it's rare that I reach for another amp to record. Well, the dirty stuff, anyway. I still use my rectifier for clean.

-0z-

fair point oz
not a chance in hell of getting a useable clean sound out of the 5150! its too metal for clean lol :kickass:

my block letter 5150 rocks hard...as a matter of fact i like it better than my bitch ass expensive framus cobra :D
i still can't see how anyone could possibly prefer an engl over a 5150, though :lol:

Fragle said:
my block letter 5150 rocks hard...as a matter of fact i like it better than my bitch ass expensive framus cobra :D
i still can't see how anyone could possibly prefer an engl over a 5150, though :lol:

+1

"I wish i was trying to get hold of a 5150 when people were in the belief that they were shit lol!"
i hear you, man....i got my 5150 for 700 euro, which is quite a lot - they used to be 950 euro new, the 6505 is slightly more iirc.
now, some friends of mine play nothing but 5150s (guess what? swede style melodic death metal :lol: ) and they got their amps for 400 euro and 400 DM (=old german currency, 400 DM is about 200 euro ) respectively....damn!

edit: maybe i should add that nowadays the 5150s are even more expensive, so 700 euro is a lot but nothing compared to todays standarts

I remember trying out a 5150 a while ago. i thing it was when they just released the Ultra ( i almost got that one cuz of the light up logo). I remember not liking the tone, too oversaturated and compressed sounding. well ff to last year when i was looking for a head and i spent some time at the store dialing in a good tone. it was pretty good, but i found a deal on a used mesa and went with that. I wanted a master volume. that was one of the big turn-offs for the 5150. i didn't want to keep adjusting the clean\dist levels everytime i went from the rehersal room back home. I dug the footswitchable Fx loop though.

That 5150 clip w/ the voodoo mod is awesome.:kickass:

Hey maybe slightly ot, but was there ever any real difference between 5150 block and 5150 sig? All i ever heard was the transformer was better in block, but was it really, and would it affect tone much if at all?!

kev said:
Hey maybe slightly ot, but was there ever any real difference between 5150 block and 5150 sig? All i ever heard was the transformer was better in block, but was it really, and would it affect tone much if at all?!

I can't comment on this particular piece of gear, but transformers can make a huge difference. sometimes the transformer is what "defines the tone" of a particular piece of equipment. you might be surprised.

kev said:

A buddy of mine who's an avid 5150 user said ther was a differnce in the first run of the amps. he said they have more balls that the later versions. he told me thaey changed somethong but he didn't know exactly what.

Peace:headbang: