Strange notion after Fear Factory/Misery Index gig (5150 vs Ampeg)

Torniojaws

They call me Juha
May 15, 2005
Espoo, Finland
www.vortechmusic.com
The two guitarists in Misery Index used Ampeg VH-140C and Peavey 5150. Guess whose guitar was damn clear and articulate, yet still growled like no other? And who could not be heard properly at all and it was all a mush?

Yes, you didn't guess it. The 5150 was completely lost and I couldn't hear a damn thing the guy played, except when he played alone. While the Ampeg was throughout the entire gig 100% clear and articulate. And from a quick search, that amp gues for about 300 euros used :loco: And I always thought 5150 was supposed to be the master of fast stuff :Smug: In fact, I got a small GAS for the Ampeg, especially since it's so cheap and sounds exceptional :headbang:

And on another note:

Chris' Krank amps sounded fucking killer live :worship:

Edit:
Oh yeah, I stood right on the frontrow in the middle. The sound was very nice overall in that spot throughout the three bands (M.A.N., Misery Index & Fear Factory), though :)

Hello, TJ. Tell Tero that PZ says "Hi".

What cabs were the M.I. guys using. I've got a vh140c myself and am curious to hear what other folks are using with it.

Torniojaws said:
And I always thought 5150 was supposed to be the master of fast stuff :Smug:

Who told you this? The 5150 is tight, but as 006 will tell you, it's not tight enough for stop on a dime meshuggah type stuff, that's where amps such as the ENGL Powerball reign king.

I saw Soilwork live about 2 years ago. Both players used 5150s that I saw on both sides of the stage. I viewed the concert from an upper balcony, right in the middle of the stage. The guitar sound was most excellent. Ola's guitar was crystal clean but Peter's was mushy. They had the exact same setup. When Peter solo'd however, I could hear it very clearly. All this could be due to the micing techniques, the board levels/EQ, etc.

I used to have a vh140c. It was great back in the day but ended up growing out of the tone on it. Didn't sound that good. Don't remember it being anywhere neer the tone of a boogie or xxx. Mine was a newer one. I hope I didnt get rid of somethin great. Oh well. Needed studio gear :)

I think the guitarist of Misery Index plays his Ampeg VH140C with the matching Ampeg cabinet, if you want to hear the sound of the Ampeg VH140C listen to Suffocations Souls to deny, it was Ampeg VH140C through Vader Cabinet I think, I'm not sure with the cabinet.
I think this amp was played or is played by one of the guys in Dying Fetus, I'm not sure because I wasn't in front of the stage and on pictures I only could see the Ampeg logo, but Sparky (the Misery Index guitarist with the Ampeg) was in Dying Fetus a few years ago I think.
Odious Mortem are using one VH140C, too.

Who told you this? The 5150 is tight, but as 006 will tell you, it's not tight enough for stop on a dime meshuggah type stuff, that's where amps such as the ENGL Powerball reign king.
Tight for very fast grind style stuff (240-330 bpm or even more)

Incidently, Q from Rotten Sound uses a 5150, but then again his live sound isn't all that great even when he's the only guitarist

StefTD said:
I think the guitarist of Misery Index plays his Ampeg VH140C with the matching Ampeg cabinet, if you want to hear the sound of the Ampeg VH140C listen to Suffocations Souls to deny, it was Ampeg VH140C through Vader Cabinet I think, I'm not sure with the cabinet.
I think this amp was played or is played by one of the guys in Dying Fetus, I'm not sure because I wasn't in front of the stage and on pictures I only could see the Ampeg logo, but Sparky (the Misery Index guitarist with the Ampeg) was in Dying Fetus a few years ago I think.
Odious Mortem are using one VH140C, too.

Yea he was in DF. The other Guitar player in MI is Mark. I used to hang out with him some before he moved to join Misery Index. I thought when he joined he bought that same Ampeg as Sparky plays but maybe not, or he changed..... but I'll ask him next time I talk to him and see what gear him and Sparky use.

anyone ever blame the sound guy? Maybe he cranked the one guitarist louder than the other. I did sound for misery index before kevin tally left for chimera. and was shocked cuz they had to be the quietist death metal band ever. and at 90% of the metal shows i've been to, one guitarist in a band is always cranked louder than the other.

I remember an Ampeg guitar head back in the early 90s, that had a lock on it (an actual lock for an actual key) to lock the amps settings! I think Zakk Wylde endorsed it too! Not sure, the 90s were all about the colors man , you know!o_O Is this the same head. I never tried it. Couldn't get it unlocked at the store!:mad:

Krankenstein (two of them).

He also had four 4x12" cabinets and two 2x12" or 1x15" (I couldn't see them fully) cabinets.

anyone ever blame the sound guy? Maybe he cranked the one guitarist louder than the other.
The venue (Pakkahuone) is the second most respected in Finland, only second to Tavastia in Helsinki which is another legend. The guys are hardcore professionals and the equipment is world class there, so I don't think it was the sound guys to blame.

don´t want to be off-topic but does anyone know what soulfly play with these days ? I saw them live last saturday and their guitar sound was really bad, way toooooioooo thin and fizzy, it sounded like the same amps used in the last album but way worse. Marc Rizzo and the drummer confirmed to be great musicians though

Gnash said:
Which head was he using, Revolution or Krankenstein? I'm picking one up based soley on this response!:err: Nah, I gotta get my mitts on a Krankenstein!
Can't wait till they come to KC area!::Smokin: kickass: :puke:

I have a krankenstein, and in france (in lyon at least) i couldn't expect triyng much heads, so i just played on the krankenstein and bought it... can't tell you how the revO sounds but i think it's killer like krankenstein is...:worship:

btw, i'm playing it for the first time in a gig... hope that it won't disappoint me !!! :cry:

cobhc said:
This post is sort of misleading given that None, DEI and chaosphere were all recorded w/ boogies (generally considered looser than the 5150).

egan. said:
This post is sort of misleading given that None, DEI and chaosphere were all recorded w/ boogies (generally considered looser than the 5150).
right and right. mesa's always seemed sloppy to me when playing through them, but some really tight recordings have been captured using mesa. I heard that Decapitated uses mesa rectifiers, and they have one of the tightest guitar sounds I've ever heard.

Gnash said:
I remember an Ampeg guitar head back in the early 90s, that had a lock on it (an actual lock for an actual key) to lock the amps settings! I think Zakk Wylde endorsed it too! Not sure, the 90s were all about the colors man , you know!o_O Is this the same head. I never tried it. Couldn't get it unlocked at the store!:mad:

Those weren't the 140C's, those were tube heads. I think the series was the VL series, but not too sure. Pretty sweet amps, I think Lee Jackson had a hand in those designs, but not 100% sure.

_RiseInside_ said:
don´t want to be off-topic but does anyone know what soulfly play with these days ? I saw them live last saturday and their guitar sound was really bad, way toooooioooo thin and fizzy, it sounded like the same amps used in the last album but way worse. Marc Rizzo and the drummer confirmed to be great musicians though

Seems like it's always hard to tell what Max and co. play as I think it's different stateside vs. overseas, at least that's the way it seems. Last time I saw them, 2nd leg of the Prohpecy tour, Rizzo had a JSX and another head (a Marshall I think) in his roadcase. I've seen Rizzo play Mesa Rectos, Crate Blue Voodoos, and various Peavey's. I've seen Max with BV's, XXX's, 5150's and his Crate cabs. Max is still listed on Peavey's site as a XXX and 5150 user.

Bobby Burns is using Peavey Pro Bass heads and cabs I think. I know he did for the album.

Some of Dark Ages stuff was recorded in Serbia as well, which I would presume would not have top shelf stuff. Max said it was pretty low budget. And, he produced Dark Ages himself, so it may not be as polished as past works. Soulfly's tones have always seemed a bit off to me, never really dug them on any album...But, funnily enough, Max is one of my biggest influences and Soulfly one of my favorite bands.