Replacing toneport UX2 with...ideas? I have NO idea with this stuff and need help!

Dylan S

Celephai
Feb 27, 2009
Australia
Hey guys,

So my interface is a toneport UX2, and it's served me well, but I really think it's lacking a lot of tone and sometime in the next few months I am looking at getting something that will offer me a lot higher quality tracks and make things a lot easier. I'm also not worried about not being able to use gearbox or podfarm either because to be honest, the Nick Crow stuff is amazing and I use the pre-amps of my tube heads a lot, and I think other interfaces make the Nick Crow stuff easier to use, as they have lower latency and allow easier recording...or maybe not? I'm not 100% sure...

I have NO idea about anything else though, so I am open to plenty of suggestions. I am also probably going to be looking for a re-amp box around the same time, and whether or not I can get an interface that doubles as a re-amp box as well or what...I honestly am a complete nub at this.

I guess price isn't TOO much of an issue (I'll have around 1100 AUD) but I will also want to be buying a set of 707's when I get the money, as well as this interface and a re-amp box, so keep that in mind.

I am sorry I can't be more detailed in my post but hopefully I can ask more questions in the thread. :)

^For 1100 AUD, there is NO WAY he could afford 707s, a Firestudio and a re-amp box. You must be either rich or living in utopia, lol. For 1100 AUD, that is barely enough for the Firestudio and one EMG.

I might be able to stretch either way, or just go without 707's or something.

I have blackouts in my guitar but I'd just like to have some 707's as well because I think they might sound better for recording purposes.

A re-amp box is also a secondary issue as well, and although it'd be nice, my primary interest is having a good interface that will produce better quality recordings than my toneport. :)

707's have a tendency for getting extremely muddy even on a nice, thick mahogony body (Used to have a Schecter Hellraiser (Diamond Series) C-7)

Skip out on those and go for the interface I linked you.

That would make a WAY better difference.

707's have a tendency for getting extremely muddy especially on a nice, thick mahogony body (Used to have a Schecter Hellraiser (Diamond Series) C-7)

Fixed Jess ;) And while I'm not too keen on the 85/707, I like it A LOT more than the Blackout bridge!

And yeah Dylan, a better interface (with better drivers) will definitely let you get lower latency for ampsims and stuff; I would vote the Focusrite Saffire (not LE), seems like the perfect balance of value and quality of preamps/converters (definitely better than the Presonus), unless it too has had its priced hiked to retarded levels down in Oz!

Oog, however, I'm seeing that the Saffire actually doesn't have instrument inputs, but if you got a Redeye then you could re-amp and have your DI needs taken care of! :D

Oh wait, it does have inst. inputs, nevermind! So in that case, depending on the price difference, I'd go for a ProRMP, cuz the differences are so freakin' minor between it and the Redeye (but still, if you want the best... :D)

thanks for the responses guys.

The 707's would be going in my Loomis which is made out of ash...I have a set of blackouts in my hellraiser but I also have a spare 81-7 and a 60-7 i can swap out anytime I want.

I'll definitely look into those options too. :D It sucks Australia gets annihilated on so many price differences. :(

dylan, i had a UX2, then got a UX8, and i love it.

loads of features other interfaces dont have, and tone direct monitoring is so useful.

it's in a really sturdy 2U enclosure, mines already taken a beating in the year and a half i've owned it, but it's fine so far.

i really recommend it.