Residence Inn already sold out?

Residence Inn Atlanta Midtown/17th Street

I think they are gonna open more fingers crossed !

I hope you're right, but if for example the huge 2-bedrooms suites are really sold-out, with the "pay right now-no cancellation" shitty rules, it's very unlikely that some more will open.

If they didn't open all studios and suites, then it could happen. Right now, it still says that the studios are almost sold-out, the 2-bedrooms ones have been sold-out since Sunday, the 1-bedroom still are available.

I'll keep on checking the site. In any ways, I doubt they'll lower the rates.
I'll say it gain, this "special event" policy the Residence Inn applies this year sucks really bad.

Here is the cranky customer letter I am sending off to the hotel management as well as the corporate headquarters. Yes, it's all about the marketplace and the fact that even with this pre-pay crap, they will probably still sell all their rooms, but being a whiny little bitch once in a while is fun :). (FWIW, as of 1/20 in the evening, I am seeing available rooms for Wed-Sun stays.)

Dear Marriott Rewards Customer Relations,

I am writing to express my frustration at the reservation practices recently implemented at the Residence Inn Atlanta Midtown, whose management have apparently decided to take an antagonistic stand to a group of loyal customers who have provided them no small amount of business every year for almost a decade and a half.

Every year in the Fall, Midtown Atlanta is host to a music festival called ProgPower USA, held just a block away from the Residence Inn at the concert venue Center Stage. With the exception of two years when I was unable to travel, I have stayed at the Residence Inn Midtown Atlanta every single year for this event since 2003. My regular stays at this Residence Inn, as well as stays at Marriotts for my annual professional conferences, and stays at many Fairfields, Courtyards, and other Residence Inns, etc while on family travel, are all together how I have been able to (slowly, yes, but deliberately) achieve Silver Elite level in the Marriott Rewards program.

When attempting to make reservations for this coming Fall 2014’s stay at the Residence Inn Midtown, I encountered something totally new – the management of the hotel have not only cranked up the room rates by a significant proportion, but have also now implemented a policy of “special event” status for the week, requiring full payment in advance with no cancellation or changes allowed.

One has to wonder why, after more than a decade of standard reservations, I am suddenly faced with the requirement of about a $1000 out of pocket payment 9 months in advance of a 4-night stay in September. This is particularly puzzling since I was able to make reservations just a few blocks away at the Atlanta Marriott Suites Midtown for the same dates, with no such nonsense. The requirement to pre-pay the room this far in advance is an affront to the loyalty that I (and many other attendees) have shown to this hotel for many, many years. In fact, it makes me wonder why I have been bothering to show loyalty to the Marriott brand itself for so long, when that loyalty as a customer is clearly not valued in return - at least not by this particular hotel. After this experience, I am much less inclined to give priority to Marriott hotels when I am considering my travel arrangements in any circumstances, not just this one.

Sincerely disappointed,

Dr. Kenneth H. Luther

<I only trot out the "Dr" for rare circumstances like this!>

Here is the cranky customer letter I am sending off to the hotel management as well as the corporate headquarters. Yes, it's all about the marketplace and the fact that even with this pre-pay crap, they will probably still sell all their rooms, but being a whiny little bitch once in a while is fun :). (FWIW, as of 1/20 in the evening, I am seeing available rooms for Wed-Sun stays.)

I am writing to express my frustration at the reservation practices recently implemented at the Residence Inn Atlanta Midtown, whose management have apparently decided to take an antagonistic stand to a group of loyal customers who have provided them no small amount of business every year for almost a decade and a half.

Every year in the Fall, Midtown Atlanta is host to a music festival called ProgPower USA, held just a block away from the Residence Inn at the concert venue Center Stage. With the exception of two years when I was unable to travel, I have stayed at the Residence Inn Midtown Atlanta every single year for this event since 2003. My regular stays at this Residence Inn, as well as stays at Marriotts for my annual professional conferences, and stays at many Fairfields, Courtyards, and other Residence Inns, etc while on family travel, are all together how I have been able to (slowly, yes, but deliberately) achieve Silver Elite level in the Marriott Rewards program.

When attempting to make reservations for this coming Fall 2014’s stay at the Residence Inn Midtown, I encountered something totally new – the management of the hotel have not only cranked up the room rates by a significant proportion, but have also now implemented a policy of “special event” status for the week, requiring full payment in advance with no cancellation or changes allowed.

One has to wonder why, after more than a decade of standard reservations, I am suddenly faced with the requirement of about a $1000 out of pocket payment 9 months in advance of a 4-night stay in September. This is particularly puzzling since I was able to make reservations just a few blocks away at the Atlanta Marriott Suites Midtown for the same dates, with no such nonsense. The requirement to pre-pay the room this far in advance is an affront to the loyalty that I (and many other attendees) have shown to this hotel for many, many years. In fact, it makes me wonder why I have been bothering to show loyalty to the Marriott brand itself for so long, when that loyalty as a customer is clearly not valued in return - at least not by this particular hotel. After this experience, I am much less inclined to give priority to Marriott hotels when I am considering my travel arrangements in any circumstances, not just this one.

Sincerely disappointed,

Dr. Kenneth H. Luther

Really well said.

Sincerely disappointed,

Dr. Kenneth H. Luther

Well played, sir!

Has anyone that booked under the Special Event Rate actually had their credit card billed yet? I'm not even seeing a pending charge on my account, but all of the various charges I've made over the weekend and yesterday are showing as either posted or pending. Curious if they're being slow to actually run the cards.

I have Marriott Gold status and I'll be double-damned in hell if I'm going to pay $1000 for a 3-4 night stay at a Marriott or any other brand property under similar, rip-off circumstances. When there is a Marta station near by and other hotels within walking distance, I can find somewhere else to stay, easily, and will. With as much $ as I have spent over the years at Marriott hotels, including this one, the RI Midtown can kiss my buns of steel. Scalping us, repeat dependable customers, insults me, is un-cool, and is not fucking metal!

I have Marriott Gold status and I'll be double-damned in hell if I'm going to pay $1000 for a 3-4 night stay at a Marriott or any other brand property under similar, rip-off circumstances. When there is a Marta station near by and other hotels within walking distance, I can find somewhere else to stay, easily, and will. With as much $ as I have spent over the years at Marriott hotels, including this one, the RI Midtown can kiss my buns of steel. Scalping us, repeat dependable customers, insults me, is un-cool, and is not fucking metal!

Not Pleased with The Marriot :fu:
We should BOYCOTT !!

Residence Inn Midtown/Historic has a reported bedbug problem.
http://www.bedbugregistry.com/hotel/GA/Atlanta/Residence-Inn-by-Marriott-Atlanta-Midtown%2FHistoric

Regency Suites has reported bedbugs too.
http://www.bedbugregistry.com/hotel/GA/Atlanta/Regency-Suites-Hotel

Courtyard Midtown has em:
http://www.bedbugregistry.com/hotel/GA/Atlanta/Courtyard-Atlanta-Midtown%2FGeorgia-Tech

Super 8 Midtown is buggy:
http://www.bedbugregistry.com/hotel/GA/Atlanta/Super-8-Atlanta-Midtown-Ga

I will be staying at the Hyatt Atlanta Midtown (used to be a Wyndham). Its been completely renovated, so everything in there is new. Its a mile from Center Stage, on the same street as the Hilton but (according to Google) only a tenth of a mile further away. No reports of bedbugs. I purchased my reservations through AAA Travel, and am paying $466.66 (what a number - includes taxes and fees) for three nights: Sept 11, 12, 13. It would be cool if some of my PP metal brothers and sisters booked some rooms there too. Here is the info:

Hyatt Atlanta Midtown
125 10th Street NE
Atlanta, GA 30309
1 404 443 1234
http://www.atlantamidtown.hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html
http://goo.gl/maps/uz8NU
http://bit.ly/1f4C4mQ

This is the other Residence Inn. The one which is nearer the Center Stage and that has this sucky "special event" policy this year is at this address and is not mentioned in that bug report:
1365 Peachtree Street NE

The one you're talking is at
1041 W Peachtree St Nw

I stayed at the Super 8 (now America's Best Value Inn) at PP 2012 and didn't get any bedbugs (thanks god!).

I'm surprised more folks haven't mentioned the new hotel, Hilton Garden Inn-Homewood Suites Atlanta Midtown. It's walking distance to the venue (10-15 min walk) and 2 blocks from the Midtown MARTA station (1 stop away from the Arts Center station). Also, it's near Publix and Mac's Liquor Store.

97 10th Street NW, Atlanta, Georgia, 30309 1-404-524-4076 Located at 10th St. and Williams St. - across from the Chinese Buddha restaurant.

1000410_555426447847532_1612574013_n.jpg

537111_10151429766852943_635638879_n.jpg

Residence Inn Midtown/Historic has a reported bedbug problem.
http://www.bedbugregistry.com/hotel/GA/Atlanta/Residence-Inn-by-Marriott-Atlanta-Midtown%2FHistoric

Regency Suites has reported bedbugs too.
http://www.bedbugregistry.com/hotel/GA/Atlanta/Regency-Suites-Hotel

Courtyard Midtown has em:
http://www.bedbugregistry.com/hotel/GA/Atlanta/Courtyard-Atlanta-Midtown%2FGeorgia-Tech

Super 8 Midtown is buggy:
http://www.bedbugregistry.com/hotel/GA/Atlanta/Super-8-Atlanta-Midtown-Ga

I will be staying at the Hyatt Atlanta Midtown (used to be a Wyndham). Its been completely renovated, so everything in there is new. Its a mile from Center Stage, on the same street as the Hilton but (according to Google) only a tenth of a mile further away. No reports of bedbugs. I purchased my reservations through AAA Travel, and am paying $466.66 (what a number - includes taxes and fees) for three nights: Sept 11, 12, 13. It would be cool if some of my PP metal brothers and sisters booked some rooms there too. Here is the info:

Hyatt Atlanta Midtown
125 10th Street NE
Atlanta, GA 30309
1 404 443 1234
http://www.atlantamidtown.hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html
http://goo.gl/maps/uz8NU
http://bit.ly/1f4C4mQ

Careful with these posts... one report from some guy who "swears" his room must have had bed bugs three years ago does not constitute a "problem". For whatever it's worth, I saw another bedbug site that didn't have any of these hotels on it, but had the Artmore listed.

Careful with these posts... one report from some guy who "swears" his room must have had bed bugs three years ago does not constitute a "problem". For whatever it's worth, I saw another bedbug site that didn't have any of these hotels on it, but had the Artmore listed.

Very true. I saw a report once that said every single hotel in Las Vegas has had a report of bed bugs. May be true, but an incident or two doesn't mean there is a current or consistent problem.

After staying there for the first time in years a couple of years ago, I doubt I'll be back. The quality of the place really has gone downhill. I don't mind walking, and there are enough options where I don't have to go there if I don't need to.

I'm surprised more folks haven't mentioned the new hotel, Hilton Garden Inn-Homewood Suites Atlanta Midtown. It's walking distance to the venue (10-15 min walk) and 2 blocks from the Midtown MARTA station (1 stop away from the Arts Center station). Also, it's near Publix and Mac's Liquor Store.

97 10th Street NW, Atlanta, Georgia, 30309 1-404-524-4076 Located at 10th St. and Williams St. - across from the Chinese Buddha restaurant.

I just booked A 1 BEDROOM SUITE-2 QUEEN BEDS-NONSMOKING
Price (6 nights x 161.10) 966.60
Taxes 154.66
Room Subtotal 1,121.28
AAA RATE
Full Kitchen
Living Room
Breakfast & Dinner
Swimming Pool ETC ...

It's A Win Win :danceboy:

I agree Jen. I had booked this hotel months ago. We're staying Monday the 8th through Sunday the 14th and it's costing less than a grand for the whole stay (that's including taxes and everything). I'll walk the 10-15 mins and save myself the bullshit involved with staying closer to the venue.

Very true. I saw a report once that said every single hotel in Las Vegas has had a report of bed bugs. May be true, but an incident or two doesn't mean there is a current or consistent problem.

Well I'm not expert on hotels. I don't travel much, and I have no idea which one is best or anything like that. All I know is I don't want to bring back those satanic bugs and I have no other way of knowing what to avoid except web sites. This will be my first PP, and Stratovarius (AND ESPECIALLY JOP) is drawing me out from under my rock. So I guess I have to stay somewhere, right? Too bad PP isn't a 24x7 event. OR IS IT??? :Smokedev:

After staying there for the first time in years a couple of years ago, I doubt I'll be back. The quality of the place really has gone downhill. I don't mind walking, and there are enough options where I don't have to go there if I don't need to.
I think I'm going to just stay at America's Best Value Inn. I don't care if it's fancy smanshy, I just need a bed. Well, two, since I doubt my buddy will want to spoon with me. :) Maybe I'll finally run into you, since we go way back on the XM board.