Reunited Sanctuary Begins Writing New Material

buzz21

Medicated
May 4, 2003
San Diego, CA
www.mpp.org
Reunited '80s cult metal outfit SANCTUARY, which features in its ranks current NEVERMORE frontman Warrel Dane, has begun writing material for a new studio album. Dane tells MetalSucks, "Wait 'till you hear some of the new stuff! I've got a song that I've been working on the last few days. It's pretty frickin' cool. . . It sounds like 'Into The Mirror Black' stuff [SANCTUARY's second and most recent album, which came out in 1990], which obviously is the evolution of our sound."

Regarding SANCTUARY's decision to reunite after almost two decades of inactivity, Dane says, "I know I said years ago that I wouldn't do this. That was probably because most of [ the members of SANCTUARY] weren't really friends. We didn't talk to each other."

He adds, "The ending of that band was weird. It got kind of ugly at the end. Eventually, we grew up a little and started talking to each other again. Now, we're in a place where we're good friends again. Which is cool, 'cause we're all different people now.

"I had always thought that Len [Rutledge, SANCTUARY guitarist] … He tried a couple bands after SANCTUARY broke up, but then he kind of quit doing music. One day, it occurred to me that he's too talented to not be doing something. I thought, maybe we should work on something together and see what happens."

According to Dane, his signature high-pitched vocal delivery, which has been largely absent from some of NEVERMORE's most recent recordings, will make its return on the forthcoming SANCTUARY CD. Dane says, "I am going to go back and take more voice lessons before I even think about recording another SANCTUARY record. I have to! I haven't been using that aspect of my voice for years because in NEVERMORE, I don't think it's really appropriate. When you're singing that way, you have to be consistent. And since you're never too old to learn anything, why not go back and take lessons?"

Nice to see that this is gaining steam and according to the comments at BM - a lot of other people are excited about it too. To hear WD say he was going to go back and take lessons shows you that he is dedicated to this.

Has anybody heard about the lineup? I'm guessing Warrel, Lenny and Jim are in, but are they also pulling in Budbill and Blosl?

And since you're never too old to learn anything, why not go back and take lessons?"

That's awesome - even without the whole reunited Sanctuary deal, it's great to see you've got this attitude. Not many people who are establisehd in their line of work would take lessons to get even better - lot's of respect WD!

Why is another band being discussed in the Nevermore forum again? Who are these 'Sanctuary' fellows anyway? Is WD doing guest vocals for them or what?

"Thus that which is the most awful of evils, death, is nothing to us, since when we exist there is no death, and when there is death we do not exist."

I thought that should be brought up ITT. Thanks for the quote, Brooks.

That was an interesting video....nice to see them giving Sanctuary some props, that is one of my favorite covers. I was wondering if she'd try to match Warrel on that piercing part where he sings "tell the hookah (smoking caterpillar)" but she didn't even attempt it!

That was an interesting video....nice to see them giving Sanctuary some props, that is one of my favorite covers. I was wondering if she'd try to match Warrel on that piercing part where he sings "tell the hookah (smoking caterpillar)" but she didn't even attempt it!

This is still the most epic performance of this song I have ever seen, WD is genius:

Last edited by a moderator: