Reverb send on snare and toms

ArroldW

Sound Engineer/Producer
Dec 22, 2010
San Diego
www.myspace.com
I've been reading around the forum and I saw "... sending the snare and toms to a reverb send to make them blend better.." can anyone explain? I mean; I get that you add reverb to the snare and toms to make them fit better in the drum mix but when I think of sending the snare and toms to one track with reverb on it I think of a louder/duller snare and toms in the mix...:ill:

You have two tracks, Snare track, and reverb track.
Send your snare to this reverb track. Get a nice reverb sound but make sure it's set to 100% wet so that only the wet processed signal is going trough.
Add some Eq on your reverb track, Something like HP@300Hz, LP@6000Hz. You can also add some compression on it.
Bring the volume completely down on your reverb track and slowly bring it up while listening to your whole mix. Blend to taste. Make sure not to make it too loud or it will muddy up the mix.
You should look at the reverb on your snare as something that's there but not something that's popping out at you. So set it lightly.

Hope I answered your question.
___
Jeff

either plate or room. hall maybe for the HUGE snares for like rock bands would be nice to know how to use.

Usually something like a dark plate is just fine. You can set the pre-delay of your reverb to about 10 to 12ms.

You have two tracks, Snare track, and reverb track.
Send your snare to this reverb track. Get a nice reverb sound but make sure it's set to 100% wet so that only the wet processed signal is going trough.
Add some Eq on your reverb track, Something like HP@300Hz, LP@6000Hz. You can also add some compression on it.
Bring the volume completely down on your reverb track and slowly bring it up while listening to your whole mix. Blend to taste. Make sure not to make it too loud or it will muddy up the mix.
You should look at the reverb on your snare as something that's there but not something that's popping out at you. So set it lightly.

Hope I answered your question.
___
Jeff

SWEET. Thank you for the help. one absolutely last question. When sending the snare and toms do I send it post-fader [post pan] or pre-fader [post fx]? ([[I'm a reaper user haha]])

Well damn I never expected that.

What about delays and such?

delays would be inserts on tracks as well
there's really no reason to use an fx send unless you need multiple instruments to work on the same reverb setting at once

even then, you can bus those tracks into a common group and throw reverb on the group

If your using reverb and delay as inserts on snares and vocals and things like that, How do you cut out the junk frequencies from the reverb like anything below 300Hz and above 6Khz?