Reversing the track

outbreak525

Jun 15, 2010
I want to learn how to reverse a track of a song WITHOUT having the cymbal overheads reversed, so instead of having the reversed cymbal effect on each beat, the cymbals ring as if they were played completely regularly.

I figured this would be an easy task, but I'm stumped. Any clues on how it is done?

? What are you dealing with? it should be easy enough, just reverse every other track other than the cymbals...

or are you dealing with a compilation of instruments from only a single audio source...? Because if so, I've not a clue and doubt it's comparable to actually having the project files and choosing exactly what it is you want reversed

I think he wants to retain the reverse effect on the drums as well with the exception of cymbals, no? Course you could follow the same logic by muting the cymbals, etc. Then bounce -> reverse.

Well I want the drums to sound as if they were actually being played.
Thus creating the effect that the song was written reversed of what it actually is.
It's almost like unlocking a new dimension to the song you wrote. I'm quite excited to hear the end result, but nothing seems to be working right.

So you want the drums to be reversed, but the cymbal hits to be forwards? Correct? If so, it's not going to be easy (that I can see). Simply reversing the drum tracks and not reversing the cymbal tracks won't work. That spot where the cymbal hit should go on the beginning of the now reversed track...will actually be at the end of the cymbal track. Nothing will match up. The only way I can see doing it is to manually slice up each cymbal hit and drop them in (on a new track) to match the placement of the reverse track.

I don't know it surely, but some Reverb Plug-Ins like the Wave PlugIns do have a reverse function- the reverb will be played backwards before the actual beat.

maybe this is the effect you are looking for. It sounds like it is played backwards, but it isn't :D

If you're using programmed drums you'll have to manually re-program. If not, your drummer will have to learn that part backward. I don't think he'd like that too much...

I'm so sorry ahjteam, your video is great and I highly appreciate it, but I shoulda been more specific.
Not only do I want the cymbals to sound normal, but the rest of the drum kit to sound normal too.

I've taken the drum track (unbounced) that I wanted to do this to, and literally reversed the programmed track completely, so the drums are being played opposite of what was originally programmed.
Now, I've bounced down the REST of the song minus the drums regularly. I took that bounced down file and I reversed it.
What I want to do is match up the drums to the reversed sound file.

This has turned out to be a daunting task indeed, since there are quite a good amount of tempo changes in the song.

I'm thinking that all I need to do is use math and figure out the tempo changes in reverse.
The song ends in 110bpm, so I made the beginning 110bpm but it for some reason the drums don't want to match guitars and etc.

This is really tough to do.

Huh? Huh?

I don't get what you're trying to do. Are you saying that you have pre-recorded drums, and you want to reverse what's being played without the actual hits being reversed?

Daunting task indeed. There's a few options but none of them convenient.

If you have some plugin that lets you track hits and turn them into midi, you could reverse midi as Anssi did in that vid. If your purpose is simply to listen how the drum patterns would sound like if played backwards.

EDIT. actually, I still don't think I get what you're trying to do.

so basically what you want to do is to get the reversed reverb effect on all the drumhits? Then just unmute all the hits also and blend the reversed track to taste, possibly apply reverb to the insert of the reversed midi drum bus, 100% wet, bounce that

Haha I understand how confusing this sounds.
Bear with me.
Everything but the drums must sound reversed.