Review: Ashes of Ares

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
It's been a while since I've written a review. I suppose inspiration and free time don't intersect as often as they once did. However, as I've completed my fifth spin of the new Ashes of Ares record and have a lazy Saturday ahead of me, I decided to write down some thoughts.

Despite the fact that I'm an unabashed Matt Barlow fanboy and had the opportunity to hear Matt hype this disc personally (during the interview I did with him for ProgPower), I went into this release with modest expectations. In my eyes, great music is less about the talent of the individual musicians executing it, and more about the quality of the songwriting that underlies it. I find this especially true of Power Metal, which tends to require a lesser degree of musicianship than many of Metal's more dynamic sub genres. And given that none of the members of Ashes of Ares have an established track record as composers, I kept my expectations in check.

Admittedly, the first spin through this disc did little to render my moderate expectations unjustified. It felt like a solid Power Metal disc, albeit one with Matt's powerful, impassioned vocals and Van Williams' intricate drum work. Had I given it a rating based on that initial impression, I likely would have awarded it a 7.8/10. However, with each successive spin, more and more nuance revealed itself, the melodies grew more captivating, and the depth of the songwriting became more clearly pronounced.

The natural comparison to draw here is to Iced Earth. To simply dismiss such a comparison would be shortsighted, as the primary audience for this release is fans of Barlow's former band. Sonically, Ashes of Ares is similar to Iced Earth. Their approach in terms of power, aggression and melody will feel reminiscent. However, Ashes is by no means a clone. Despite the fact that they've shared a vocalist and fit within the same sub, sub, sub-genre of (1) Dark (2) American (3) Power Metal, the two bands are quite distinct, especially when measured against Iced Earth later material. Ashes' sound is darker, possesses greater depth, and is less reliant on formulaic song structures.

It's at this point I'd typically comment on which tracks I count as my favorites. But the truth is, it's a moving target. If Metal bands released singles, I'd be hard pressed to guess which song would be chosen. Which is one of the things I truly admire about this record. Many strong albums rely on a subset of standout songs, surrounded by strong material, but material that none the less feels somewhat less than when compared to the stand out songs. Ashes' debut is built brick by brick, with each brick being as strong as the one it lies on top of, and with no weak points in the wall they construct.

As someone who's followed Iced Earth's career closely, it's been hard not to notice a theme common to many of the departures; Jon does not allow others to contribute to the songwriting. Given the songwriting prowess Jon demonstrated up to and including The Glorious Burden, that always seemed defensible. However, what Barlow and Vidales have put forth on this debut surpasses anything Jon has been able to muster in nearly ten years. In retrospect, it's clear to see that Jon's decision to maintain clarity of vision was more about ego than protecting the Iced Earth brand. What Ashes of Ares have delivered is superb. It's a breath of fresh air in a genre that has long since grown stale.

When I interviewed Matt, I asked him if he considered Ashes of Ares a full-fledged band, one that would engage in a regular cycle of writing, recording and touring. He answered, "Yes". Having heard what Ashes of Ares has to offer, I sincerely hope so.

I soooooooo can't wait to hear this album. I am a HUGE fan of Barlow's vocals

Nice review. Albums that tend to grow on me, are the ones that stay with me longer. Looking forward to hearing this one.

Given the songwriting prowess Jon demonstrated up to and including The Glorious Burden, that always seemed defensible. However, what Barlow and Vidales have put forth on this debut surpasses anything Jon has been able to muster in nearly ten years. In retrospect, it's clear to see that Jon's decision to maintain clarity of vision was more about ego than protecting the Iced Earth brand. What Ashes of Ares have delivered is superb. It's a breath of fresh air in a genre that has long since grown stale.

You make me curious here. Because I agree that the Iced Earth albums have been quite average for a long time, until they released Dystopia, which is the best IE since Something Wicked in my book, and one of their very best overall. If the Ashes Of Ares is better, than I'll surely be interested.

You make me curious here. Because I agree that the Iced Earth albums have been quite average for a long time, until they released Dystopia, which is the best IE since Something Wicked in my book, and one of their very best overall

I would agree with this, I thought Dystopia was the first time I really enjoyed the band in nearly a decade. I thought The Glorious Burden was horrible, as were the two follow ups.

As for AoA, I really hope that I enjoy the release as much as Zod seems to. Honestly to me the song they released matches the description of the modest expectation for me. I was hoping for some much more melody, or a memorable chorus. But again, I will not judge the album based on just one song. Glad to hear some good reports..

You make me curious here. Because I agree that the Iced Earth albums have been quite average for a long time, until they released Dystopia, which is the best IE since Something Wicked in my book, and one of their very best overall. If the Ashes Of Ares is better, than I'll surely be interested.
To my ears, Dystopia was a solid, but lackluster release. Granted, it was better than the train wreck that is Framing Armageddon and The Crucible of Man. However, it seemed like Jon relied way too heavily on the formula that had served him all these years, rather than any genuine inspiration. And while I like Stu as a vocalist, his performance on that album feels like little more than his best Matthew Barlow impersonation.

I thought The Glorious Burden was horrible, as were the two follow ups.
I'm going to disagree with you just ever so slightly on this and say that the "Gettysburg" trilogy is the finest 31 minutes of music the Metal genre has produced since Operation: Mindcrime.

As for AoA, I really hope that I enjoy the release as much as Zod seems to. Honestly to me the song they released matches the description of the modest expectation for me. I was hoping for some much more melody, or a memorable chorus. But again, I will not judge the album based on just one song. Glad to hear some good reports.
As for the Ashes disc, I feel it works best as a whole, and not as single tracks. The single they've released, while good, I would not consider to be among the strongest tracks on the album.

I have got to weigh in on this one. Totally agree with Zod here on the "Gettysburg" trilogy. Obviously, everyone has their own opinion of what is good or not and that's fine. But, some comments on here are serious head scratchers to me. I also have to say that I really enjoyed Dystopia too. IMO their best since The Glorious Burden. Caught the Dystopia tour in Columbus Ohio last spring, and thought the band sounded as good as I have ever heard them(and I have seen Iced Earth several times).

Great review on the AoA album Zod. I will definitely be picking this up at the show.

I'm going to disagree with you just ever so slightly on this and say that the "Gettysburg" trilogy is the finest 31 minutes of music the Metal genre has produced since Operation: Mindcrime.

ksbdd.jpg

For Me Ripper ruined much of that album with his high pitch for-high-pitch-sake wailing. Even if I could overlook that, it was a little too much of Jon's ham-fisted "Don't tread on me" nut job stuff all over that album. But as they say, different strokes for different folks.

As for the Ashes disc, I feel it works best as a whole, and not as single tracks. The single they've released, while good, I would not consider to be among the strongest tracks on the album.

Say what you will about Jon's writing, he knows how to write a catchy anthemic chorus. I was not really getting that vibe from the AoA song. But then again, I will wait and see when the album is released.

Say what you will about Jon's writing, he knows how to write a catchy anthemic chorus. I was not really getting that vibe from the AoA song. But then again, I will wait and see when the album is released.

Then how come he's only written one or two in the last, say, almost 10 yrs?

For Me Ripper ruined much of that album with his high pitch for-high-pitch-sake wailing. Even if I could overlook that, it was a little too much of Jon's ham-fisted "Don't tread on me" nut job stuff all over that album. But as they say, different strokes for different folks.

Well good news, then. He specifically referred to Gettysburg, which Ripper (whose voice I don't actually like) performed flawlessly on. Gettysburg is the best thing that IE's ever done, imo. I think it could've been better with Matt, but Ripper did the best I've ever heard from him on it.

Other than that I thought his tenure with the band produced lackluster results. And by the time Dystopia rolled around I found myself unattached from the band, so even though I can say it's not a bad album I can't much bring myself to care or listen to it often.

AoA, on the other hand, hearkens back to the IE that helped draw me into metal in the first place. So I have hopes for it. And based on Zod's review I believe that he and I have similar feelings/attitudes towards IE, so I am duly heartened about Ashes of Ares. And I am HUGELY pumped about getting to see their show at PPUSA, it should be amazing.

I think it could've been better with Matt, but Ripper did the best I've ever heard from him on it.

I will highly disagree with you here. I think it fits Ripper's voice more than it would have Matt's. Matt is fantastic at other Iced Earth stuff, but the stuff they did with Ripper never translated well when Matt sang.

I will highly disagree with you here. I think it fits Ripper's voice more than it would have Matt's. Matt is fantastic at other Iced Earth stuff, but the stuff they did with Ripper never translated well when Matt sang.

I don't mean as a 1:1 swap. That would not do well. I mean if it had been written with Matt in mind it could've been stronger. But I love it how it is.

He specifically referred to Gettysburg, which Ripper (whose voice I don't actually like) performed flawlessly on.
Flawlessly on the disc, and flawlessly each of the three times I saw him perform the trilogy live. No one was more prepared to hate Ripper in Iced Earth than I was. But his performance on the Gettysburg trilogy is simply stunning. I've never once made it through that trilogy without goosebumps.

Gettysburg is the best thing that IE's ever done, imo. I think it could've been better with Matt, but Ripper did the best I've ever heard from him on it.
Those songs drip with such raw emotion, it's impossible not to ponder how Barlow would have delivered them.

Other than that I thought his tenure with the band produced lackluster results. And by the time Dystopia rolled around I found myself unattached from the band, so even though I can say it's not a bad album I can't much bring myself to care or listen to it often.
This.

And again, I would say to everyone looking forward to this disc, be prepared to spend some time with it. I don't think it's an instant listen. It's not intended to be anthemic, like many of Iced Earth's more straight forward works. It's meant to be dark and powerful, and in this context I feel it succeeds immensely.

Admittedly, I'm very curious to see how many Top 10 lists this disc lands on.

I was completely unattached from IE as well for a long time and Dystopia won me back big time.

I'm going to disagree with you just ever so slightly on this and say that the "Gettysburg" trilogy is the finest 31 minutes of music the Metal genre has produced since Operation: Mindcrime. .

I get chills when I listen to this. An amazing piece of music.