Review: Ashes of Ares

ksbdd.jpg

For Me Ripper ruined much of that album with his high pitch for-high-pitch-sake wailing. Even if I could overlook that, it was a little too much of Jon's ham-fisted "Don't tread on me" nut job stuff all over that album. But as they say, different strokes for different folks.

I thought Owens did a fine job, but I'm with you on the lyrical content. It was the last IE album I bothered with. If AoA fills that void, I'm all for it.

As someone who's followed Iced Earth's career closely, it's been hard not to notice a theme common to many of the departures; Jon does not allow others to contribute to the songwriting.

Do you consider writing lyrics part of the songwriting process? Because if you do, I'm going to call you out on what is then a blatantly false statement that, "Jon does not allow others to contribute to the songwriting." And I'd start with the fact that Stu Block is credited with writing or co-writing the lyrics for 8 of the 10 songs on the Dystopia release.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dystopia_(Iced_Earth_album)

:Smug:

I think Ripper got a bad rap a little bit. A lot of the problems on the two albums he was a part of were problems with boring songwriting (no problems with Gettysburg, still phenomenal). It's easy to blame him for that since there was such a dramatic change in the singing style, but it also corresponded with a big drop in the songwriting quality, and I think the fact that not even the return of Barlow could redeem "Crucible of Man" from being an awful album absolves Ripper of any responsibility for what happened to IE. Seeing him perform the songs live convinced me that Ripper put 110% effort into those songs.

Shaffer is just out of original ideas, and no matter how many new members come through his revolving door, he's not going to be able to put out anything decent again. Three faceplant albums in a row isn't a slump, it's a drought. The river is dry. It's not the lyrics that are the problem. The riffs are boring, the song structure is repetitive, and the vocals are OH MY GOD repetitive. Stu Block is a good singer with a unique voice. Why he is choosing to ape Barlow's style when he has a perfectly fine style of his own is maddening to say the least, and it was a large part of why I was so disgusted with "Dystopia". Say what you will about Ripper, he brought his own voice to the songs he performed on.

All that aside, as for as the new AoA album goes, I have only four words to say. I WANT IT NOW!

As someone who's followed Iced Earth's career closely, it's been hard not to notice a theme common to many of the departures; Jon does not allow others to contribute to the songwriting.

Do you consider writing lyrics part of the songwriting process? Because if you do, I'm going to call you out on what is then a blatantly false statement that, "Jon does not allow others to contribute to the songwriting." And I'd start with the fact that Stu Block is credited with writing or co-writing the lyrics for 8 of the 10 songs on the Dystopia release.
Has Stu departed the band? My comment reads that "a theme common to many of the departures" is that "Jon does not allow others to contribute". That's a true statement, as that is a theme common to many of the departures. That aside, I'm well aware that Matt has written lyrics for years. But that doesn't change the fact that Jon has made clear that Iced Earth is a dictatorship, not a democracy, and that his "my way or the highway" approach has been a factor in a number of departures.

Which entertains me compared to his libertarian bent.

Not at all. It meshes perfectly, as artists joining his camp know perfectly well how it is run, and it is arbitrarily their decision to participate or not.

Free marketplace suggests he can run his business however he decides, and if that makes it difficult to always find the best talent, that is a consequence of his business decision.

Reconciles 100% for me.

Which entertains me compared to his libertarian bent.
Admittedly, I had the same thought as I wrote that. But I get it... Iced Earth is his baby and he has the right to watch over it as he sees fit. And while I feel Jon is a fantastic songwriter, I think he'd do well to involve people he could truly collaborate with.

I don't disagree. He needs some freshness injected into what he's doing. It's probably nearly impossible to be the sole creative force behind a project for this long and still keep everything fresh enough to please people.

Has Stu departed the band? My comment reads that "a theme common to many of the departures" is that "Jon does not allow others to contribute". That's a true statement, as that is a theme common to many of the departures. That aside, I'm well aware that Matt has written lyrics for years. But that doesn't change the fact that Jon has made clear that Iced Earth is a dictatorship, not a democracy, and that his "my way or the highway" approach has been a factor in a number of departures.

Why did you fail mention that the now departed Matt has written lyrics for years in your original post? Do you really want me to go back and list all of the songwriting credits the other departed band members have made to the band over it's 30+ years? Sure, Jon has the majority of them, but in no way has he, "not allow(ed) others to contribute." That statement is simply false no matter how you try to skirt around it with your way for words. And given that you are a Schaffer hater as much as you are a Barlow fanboy, it really qualifies more as a lie.

And since when does one's own private, personal business has to be a run like a public democracy among it's employees? The band is Jon's business and as it's owner, he has the right to make executive personnel decisions that he believes are in his band's best interest. Everyone else in the band besides Jon are his employees. Why? He negotiates the record deals with the labels and signs the band member's paychecks.

And that's the way things work in the "real world" outside of the music business. That fans and critics like you fail to understand that bands are a business venture and not some warm happy family where Kumbaya is sung at the dinner table every night never fails to amaze me. All personal relationships over time are stressed to one degree or another. Band leaders dump members just like spouses dump each other (i.e. divorce) when their differences are irreconcilable. It's a risk you take when you enter into such partnerships.

That Jon wanted to start his own business, follow his own dreams, and walk down his own road is why America exists and is why it appeals to so many others outside of it's borders. Very similar thing with Glenn. He wanted to start his own festival, book the bands he liked and run the festival as he sees best fit. Crew have come and gone. Bands have committed and then de-committed.

If you want to invest your life's savings in starting your own business and then give people you hire off the street equal ownership and equal say in that business when they never invested financially in your business (remember, you're paying them, not vice-versa), then you are certainly free to do so. Given your highly democratic virtues, I'm sure you will be more than willing to compromise with your employees every there is a disagreement just to keep everyone happy - even if it's not in your best interest.

Freedom, liberty...except in my house where I'm the dictator. It's entertaining, not nonsensical.

Since when do the rules that govern a democratically elected government in a democratic country with over 300 million taxpayer citizens suddenly apply to one man's personal business.

:puke::puke::puke::puke::puke:

Admittedly, I had the same thought as I wrote that. But I get it... Iced Earth is his baby and he has the right to watch over it as he sees fit. And while I feel Jon is a fantastic songwriter, I think he'd do well to involve people he could truly collaborate with.

We'll, if you really, "get it," and can acknowledge that, "Iced Earth is his baby and he has the right to watch over it as he sees fit," then you really didn't need to take your personal shots regarding Jon's personnel decisions in your review of Matt's new album, would you?

Whoa, who pissed in your cheerios? Some off-hand comments and light-hearted observations got your panties that wadded? Lighten up.

Whoa, who pissed in your cheerios? Some off-hand comments and light-hearted observations got your panties that wadded? Lighten up.

Lies and deception coming from people hiding behind an alias on their computer does piss me off, especially when they are directed at somebody they've never known personally.

And given that you are a Schaffer hater as much as you are a Barlow fanboy, it really qualifies more as a lie.

First of all, I readily admit I'm a huge fan of Barlow's voice. I state that in the first sentence of my review.

Second, my review was nothing more than a forum post. It's kind of bizarre that you feel the need to "call me out", as you put it, because you don't care for the wording of one sentence.

Finally, I don't dislike Jon at all. I've interviewed him twice, and thought he was a very likable, very personable guy. The first time we spoke, I was his final interview on a day he had dedicated to doing interviews. He still spent 20 minutes more with me than he needed to. If you've followed this thread, I said only a few posts ago, that I think that "Jon is a fantastic songwriter". And a few posts before that I said, "the Gettysburg trilogy is the finest 31 minutes of music the Metal genre has produced since Operation: Mindcrime." I'm not sure how this qualifies me as a "Schaffer hater".

Published today. On their facebook, Freddie writes: "Here's the second track-by-track breakdown of the album. In two weeks we play ProgPower USA. If you're there, you'll be able to pick up the album.

-Freddie"

Last edited by a moderator:
TheFiddler said:
Blah blah blah I will defend Schaffer til I die blah blah blah

So you got offended and is making a huge deal out of the fact Zod said something negative about Jon on his review? What the hell is wrong with you?

Do you send angry emails to everyone who writes a bad review about an Iced Earth album too? What's next? Should we expect a deranged, non-sensical, screaming and crying video a la "Leave Britney Spears Alone?"

Somebody is a little obsessed it seems...

The album officially drops Tues., Sept. 17, so ProgPower USA attendees will get their hands on it before anyone else!