Review: Ashes of Ares

Wanted to post a few things here, I rarely make my way over here so any flaming i probably wont see......BUT

1 I prefer Ripper over Barlow for most Iced Earth stuff, and yes I've seen them many times.

2 I have not HEARD Ripper do High notes for the sake of high notes since he was in Winter's Bane back in 92-93. Example? Delcaration Day, it's done as a Climax.

Next topic, has Stu left Iced Earth and do musicians leave because they are not part of the creative process?

I have had contact with a few people who have worked with Jon and the answer to this is largely no, BUT in Stu's case keep in mind Stu is only on break from Into Eternity, at some point I do think he will move on.

Finally I really like the AoA album so far, what stands out most to me is that Van's drumming is quite a bit different than what IE usually did.

Great first listen! Only reaffirms why this disc was going to be a blind buy for me (and why Glenn was willing to book the band w/o having anything from them to listen to).

Standout tracks after one listen:

1. Dead Man's Plight
2. The Answer
3. What I Am

I'm sure this disc and the new Fates Warning will be my top two discs of 2013.

Next topic, has Stu left Iced Earth and do musicians leave because they are not part of the creative process?

I have had contact with a few people who have worked with Jon and the answer to this is largely no, BUT in Stu's case keep in mind Stu is only on break from Into Eternity, at some point I do think he will move on.

I haven't heard him leaving, and I think he would be stupid to do so. Yeah he has more input into Into Eternity, but I have a hard time believe they'll get beyond the level they've been at. I think he's a good fit for Iced Earth. As for musicians leaving for that reason, I honestly think it depends on the person and band. Ripper didn't quit; he got canned for him "not being into it" live.

I haven't heard him leaving, and I think he would be stupid to do so. Yeah he has more input into Into Eternity, but I have a hard time believe they'll get beyond the level they've been at. I think he's a good fit for Iced Earth. As for musicians leaving for that reason, I honestly think it depends on the person and band. Ripper didn't quit; he got canned for him "not being into it" live.

Ripper wasn't canned, he was forced out by Matt's return, I actually live VERY close to Ripper here in Akron, Ohio. Jon actually never even formally let Ripper know this, he just announced that Matt was back. lol Ripper says he knows when he steps in for a singer if the original singer returns he will have to leave, and that is what happened with both Judas Priest and Iced Earth.

Also as far as that goes he has said that Jon is hard to work with, he will toss blame all on one person as if nothing could possibly be Jon's fault. He said though he isnt blameless as when all this went down he was already looking to go back to doing Beyond Fear, and Jon was well aware Tim wanted out of Iced Earth ASAP.

I think Stu will be around for an album or 2 more and then find his way back to Into Eternity.

I haven't heard him leaving, and I think he would be stupid to do so. Yeah he has more input into Into Eternity, but I have a hard time believe they'll get beyond the level they've been at. I think he's a good fit for Iced Earth. As for musicians leaving for that reason, I honestly think it depends on the person and band.

Yep, every situation is unique and rarely is there just one reason for a split. Many musicians leave bands because they want to spend more time with their families and/or make more money for their families while trying new career path. For Matt, that new career path was law enforcement. I'm thrilled that Matt has been able to continue his career as a songwriter and musician with Ashes of Ares while also balancing his law enforcement career and life as a family man. Absolutely amazing accomplishment. You will be hard-pressed to find a nicer, more humble guy than Matt Barlow.

Ooo Zod is a LIAR about Jon Schaffer, and you get your panties in a bunch about it.

You didn't just make a point. You got offended because you're a fanboy. You got pissy because someone criticized your hero. Grow up.

Now back to Ashes of Ares... those of us who have heard the album know that it's not only going to be a great set at PPUSA, it's also a much better record than anything Iced Earth has put out in a long time. (oh wait, I'm going to get pummeled now because I am LYING.

Ironically Angra Rules, You too didn't just make a point. You got offended because you're a General Zod fanboy. You got pissy because I criticized your hero for making statement that was obviously factually incorrect. Grow Up, err, I mean, KNEEL for Zod!

Yep, I'm a well-known Schaffer fanboy on this forum. I stuck up for Jon on a issue in this thread based on fact and then get ridiculed by all the offended General Zod fanboys on this forum -- who then have the audacity to tell me to calm down and not get offended. :Smug: Sorry, I don't kneel for Zod.

P.S. You didn't answer any of the questions I asked you in my previous post.

P.S.S. After one listen, I think I might end up liking the Ashes of Ares better than anything Iced Earth has done since Horror Show with the exception of The Crucible of Man which I absolutely love. Just an opinion and no need to call anyone a liar about an opinion.

Ironically Angra Rules, You too didn't just make a point. You got offended because you're a General Zod fanboy. You got pissy because I criticized your hero for making statement that was obviously factually incorrect. Grow Up, err, I mean, KNEEL for Zod!

Yep, I'm a well-known Schaffer fanboy on this forum. I stuck up for Jon on a issue in this thread based on fact and then get ridiculed by all the offended General Zod fanboys on this forum -- who then have the audacity to tell me to calm down and not get offended. :Smug: Sorry, I don't kneel for Zod.

P.S.S. After one listen, I think I might end up liking the Ashes of Ares better than anything Iced Earth has done since Horror Show with the exception of The Crucible of Man which I absolutely love. Just an opinion and no need to call anyone a liar about an opinion.

I noticed you switched from GB to HS there, haha!

3516712818_can_t_we_all_just_get_along_xlarge.jpeg

Ripper wasn't canned, he was forced out by Matt's return, I actually live VERY close to Ripper here in Akron, Ohio. Jon actually never even formally let Ripper know this, he just announced that Matt was back. lol Ripper says he knows when he steps in for a singer if the original singer returns he will have to leave, and that is what happened with both Judas Priest and Iced Earth.

I think Stu will be around for an album or 2 more and then find his way back to Into Eternity.

True, but I still sorta consider that canned. Doesn't matter though. It still is a shitty way for him to find out.

As for Stu, I guess only time will tell. I will say this though, if he doesn't stick around, I think it's time to put Iced Earth to rest. There aren't many bands with that many different singers.

True, but I still sorta consider that canned. Doesn't matter though. It still is a shitty way for him to find out.

As for Stu, I guess only time will tell. I will say this though, if he doesn't stick around, I think it's time to put Iced Earth to rest. There aren't many bands with that many different singers.

Oh I can name a few who have survived that many vocal changes, Seven Witches, come up off the top of my head, but there are many more.

As for being canned, Matt actually got canned for TGB to be honest about it. But I kinda feel both ways about it. Ripper wanted out and Jon never told him he was out. I agree its a crap situation. But he does what he wants now, and I get so see a lot of it and I got say it's a pretty cool setup what he does now.

As for Stu, I have NEVER thought Stu was the perfect guy for the job. When it was announce he got the spot I remember thinking there's at least 10-15 guys floating about out there that'd do way better. I think we might on the next album or 2 see why he picked Stu, I will be very surprised if the new albums aren't going to slowly erode at least some of the power metal elements from IE. We will see.

ha-ha-haaa_gp_253804.jpg