Review of Detroit Show

BastrdDrmr

Jul 29, 2002
Green Oak, michigan
Visit site
Well, I just woke up. Here is how the show was...

The sound during this show was pretty fucking horrible actually, but it always is at Harpo's. JimAnsell, if you read this, you have no fucking excuses this time dude. You tried to defend Harpo's after Symphony X got fucked in the ass there, but for real, Harpo's is a horrendous venue.

The heat was fucking insane. Everyone played a shorter set than they were supposed to because of this heat. I swear Unearth only played for like 15 minutes it seemed like. They were all right, nothing great, but they turned a few heads when the guitar player was doing some 3 string sweep behind his head. Then Chimaira came out and man, they sucked hardcore. I'm not familiar with them but they were fucking unbearable to listen to. Most people seemed to be glad once they left but some people did leave after Chimaira was done.

Next, Soilwork came on. I cannot believe how shitty the sound was. It's not that something was completely blowing out something else, like the drums totally blowing out the guitar, for instance. It was just mush kinda. I don't know how else to describe it. Their set kinda sucked, but oh well. It was kinda short as well.

Soilwork's set:
The Flameout (opener)
Figure Number Five
Needlefeast
(after this in no particular order)
Distortion Sleep
Bringer (-the clean intro, LAME!)
Light the Torch
Follow the Hollow
Rejection Role (closer)

In Flames came on next. They had a slightly better sound than Soilwork just barely, but like Soilwork, I don't blame it on the band. I blame it on the piece of shit venue. Their setlist was quite a bit shorter than all the others on this tour, and they didn't do a few songs I was really hoping for here like Coerced Coexistence and Scorn. The songs that I believe were dropped were Coerced Coexistence, Scorn, RTR, Clad in Shadows, and Minus.

In Flames set:
Watch Them Feed (opener)
(no particular order from here on)
Behind Space
Moonshield
Episode 666
Gyroscope
Clayman
Only for the Weak
Pinball Map
Bullet Ride
System
Drifter
Trigger
Cloud Connected
Colony (closer)

Now for the good part. My friend and I stuck around for awhile after and were able to meet every single member from Soilwork and In Flames and got my Chainheart Machine and Whoracle CD sleeves signed. Let me tell you, they are some cool ass bastards. From Soilwork, Sven, Bjorn, and Ola Frenning were especially cool. From Soilwork, Jesper and Bjorn were really cool. I asked Jesper about Jotun, and he said to expect it on future setlists. :headbang: The only guy I talked to that wasn't that cool really was Anders, but he was sort of being mobbed. I guess I can understand that. Anyway, cool show and I pray they play a venue that doesn't suck next time.

Yeah I've talked to In Flames too, and they are all really cool. I got the same vibe with Anders, but I only caught him at the last moment. Had a good discussion with Bjorn though.

EDIT: OO and Jesper said he thinks Dimension Zero will be coming to the US. :headbang:

3 string sweeps don't sound that impressive even behind your head. Now if he was doing some Mike Romeo or Petrucci stuff behind his head THAT would be impressive.

Battman said:
That setlist was considerably shorter (IF and Soilwork) than the Toronto date, but at least you got Moonshield. Sorry to hear you didn't get CC (the good one).

That's cool that they played Moonshield. I dunno if I will be able to catch them this leg of the tour...the closest that they are hitting by me is San Antonio. I just recently moved to Texas and am pissed that I will be missing the Chicago show on the 6th (where I just moved from).

Hail In Flames! \m/

I met them last year, even picked a photo with Björn and Daniel (and Jesper's Hand).
I hope I am going to meet 'em also at VIENNA METALFEST in August, but we'll see! At least I am sure the show will be great!