Review of the Shadow Fall/Soilwork/CoB gig

seventi

Viva Lonliness!
Mar 8, 2002
The Third Place
Visit site
Part 1

Started my ride towards the big capital at 4 and after one hell of a circling around in a city which looked like it had been ripped up badly after a nuclear attack (all the digging, and making new roads delayed us). We had some hard time finding Arenan but found it with no problems when we saw 1000 metalheads all in leather & black going in one direction towards one building. Around 7.15 my friend and I were standing in the que to the local with every eye starring at us (let’s just say that we don’t look too metal). 15 minutes later we got in and around 8 the first band entered the stage.

Part 2 Shadow Fall
The first thing I noticed when this band entered the scene was the out of this world long dreads the singer had. MY FUCKING GOD, his hair was so long he could use those dreads to wipe his ass and when he was headbanging all the other members had to stand 2 meters away from him to survive his attempt of killing them with it. I had never heard Shadow Fall before and they were quite good. Probably a band I will check up sometimes later. The singer was really good and had a nice stage presence.

Setlist (random order):
Idiot Box
For What Blood
Thoughts Without Words
Some new stuff from their latest album “The Art of Balance”

Part 3 Soilwork

Soilwork was so nice, lending Shadow Fall their equipment so the arrangements between the sets wasn’t too long. Around 8.45 the band entered the stage and started off with a song from their new album. Speed was really cool and humble. A friend once told me that he had problems pulling off the clear parts in their songs when playing live and although I noticed it, he was really good and hadn’t that much of a problem. When playing some songs from the new album many ppl in the crowd were singing along and after the song Speed asked us how come we now the text. He said: “You haven’t downloaded any of our songs from the net, have you? That’s allright, ROCK ON DUDES!” He was really humble and joking with the fact. He also talked about their friends in In Flames. Soilwork played for 45 minutes and it was now the crowd was getting wild. It was mostly under “Follow the Hollow” and “Chainheart Machine” the crow was wild.

Setlist (random order):
A new song from Figure Nr 5 which I don’t know the name of
Natural Born Chaos
As We Speak
The Bringer
Follow the Hollow
Needlefeast
Chainheart Machine
Rejection Role
Figure Nr 5
And one more song from their new album

Part 3 Children of Bodom

Now, this was the time all hell broke loose!! After one hell of a waiting for the band to enter the stage they came on around 9.50. The crowd was all wild and the pressure so high from ppl I almost got suffocated. Firstly, their band logo and one big ass picture of the reaper was unfolded behind them. The reaper was so big it almost covered the whole background of the stage. They started off with one kick ass intro. It was like hearing the clown from the movie IT talking to children in the most obscene way. A disgusting voice talking about murder and death. After that two huge projector beams were lit and started moving all across the place giving us a “trancefeeling”. First song was Needled 24/7 and they kept on for 1 ½ hour. In the middle Alexi dedicated the song “Every Time I Die” to the recently departed member of Finntroll. One cool thing they did was when the band’s member of electronics Janne Warman and Alexi started battling with each other and trying to overcome the next one in pulling off the coolest solo. Warman did a solo on keyboard and Alexi tried to pull off one even better on guitar. They kept on like this for 15 minutes and the crowd was all wild. Later on their drummer had a little solo sessions and just fooling around on drums. The band played until 11.15.

Setlist (random order)
Needled 24/7
Sixpounder
Chokehold
Angel’s Don’t Kill
You’re Better Off Dead
Hate Crew Deathroll
Probably one more song from their latest album
Bodom After Midnight
Everytime I Die
Hate Me!
Kissing The Shadows
Mask of Sanity (not sure if this was the one
Silent Night, Bodom Night
Towards Dead End, Black Widow or Wrait Within (not sure here as well)
Deadnight Warrior
Lake Bodom
It was around 15-16 songs I think.

Conclusion

One of the best gigs I have ever seen!! The bands were awesome and really nice to their fans. All you who think Soilwork are selling out should reconsider. They were really cool and the music sounded great live. After this I don't mind the band taking on the new direction.

Girls, girls, girls. Yeah. Some girls looked like death itself had been brought upon them, but there were some really beautiful, not looking metal at all!

But with a tour like this one it’s better to have 2 bands instead of 3 because ppl were getting tired in the end and almost none was getting wild. My back started to hurt because I was standing for 4 hours and just jumping around. Soilwork was better live than I thought and CoB sounded even better live than on their albums!! With one word: AMAZING!!!!!

Haha, I answered the topic on hmas too but anyway.... ;)

Sounds like I missed a great night... cant wait until bands like this get to play up here in the north of the country :)

I was there too...the gig fucking smoked.
3 of my friends got the Shadows Fall guy in their heads when he stage-dived :lol:
Shadows Fall and CoB:s sets owned, Soilwork was sort of a dissapointment since they played pretty lousy songs and the singer kept losing his voice.
I loved the way CoB opened up with Needled 24/7 and Hate Me!,
the noise from the audience was enormous when Hate Me! started like 1 second after Needled ended.
Really loved the gig.

NP: Dark Tranquillity - Ex Nihilo

I also have the full set list for CoB, not in the right order but who cares:
Needled 24/7
Hate Me!
Silent Night Bodom Night
Sixpounder
Deadnight Warrior
Lake Bodom
Towards Dead End
Bodom After Midnight
Every Time I Die
Kissing The Shadows
Chokehold Cocked N Loaded
Bodom Beach Terror
Angels Dont Kill
Youre Better Off Dead
Hate Crew Deathroll
Downfall

Shadows Fall played Idle Hands, Of One Blood, Thoughts Without Words, Destroyer of Senses, Idiot Box and some song from the first album i couldnt remember

Soilwork played Light The Torch, Natural Born Chaos, As We Speak, Follow The Hollow, Rejection Role, Figure Number Five, Needlefeast, The Bringer, Distortion Sleep and closed up with The Chainheart Machine

Needled 24/7
Hate Me!
Silent Night Bodom Night
Sixpounder
Deadnight Warrior
Lake Bodom
Towards Dead End
Bodom After Midnight
Every Time I Die
Kissing The Shadows
Chokehold Cocked N Loaded
Bodom Beach Terror
Angels Dont Kill
Youre Better Off Dead
Downfall

Suprise suprise, same set list as on Finland tour.

But they also played "Somebody put something to my drink"

stefan86 said:
They changed guitars a couple of times.
Dunno which guitar when and such things, but they changed when they played Sixpounder.

Alexi said in a interview that on some songs they used 7 string guitars==> the guitar changing.

Damn, Cob became a international superstar now. I heard that they will come to poland this summer so Im unfukcingbelievalby happy :D

But can anyone tell me what was their guitar shapes?

BodomiC said:
Damn, Cob became a international superstar now. I heard that they will come to poland this summer so Im unfukcingbelievalby happy :D

But can anyone tell me what was their guitar shapes?

Hehe, say nazdrowie to Alexi from me!:D

Thanx for correcting the setlist for me! Damn, so many song!!
Also, I saw Alexi chaning guitars all the time between the songs, so he probably used many for different purposes