The Atlanta review

Jani Laiho

Aug 25, 2004
the atlanta show was great. and no...they did not stick to new songs. they played 3, boo fucking hoo. anyway, i got some pictures, i havent gotten them developed yet, but hopefully they will come out alright. yeah im too poor to go digital, sorry.

well besides the 3 bands...there was another appearance at this show....a truck.....promoting aqua teen hunger force. the new dvd or something. i thought it was cool, the truck, and just went back to talking in line. and like 20 minutes later, the fucking mooninites come out of that bitch and just walk around and shit. it was awesome as hell! i didnt get to take a picture with them but i got them on my video camera.

amon amarth...they played a good show..they actually got booed at the beginning, people were saying "FUCK YOU! WE WANT BODOM!" and i thought oh....this must be Trivium...its not really anything that intrests me really. i knew 1 or 2 songs by them, and i didnt even know that it was them that played the song, i heard them at a friends house. but i met all of them after the show, and they were pretty cool guys. i asked the lead singer if i could have his pass, it had bodom tour on it or something, and he's like...naaaa, and walks away. their lead guitarist wasnt really social though, and he almost got hit by a car...lol.

trivium actually played well....they had a lot of heart, its just......they were completely gay lol. their guitar player was completely out of place. he was taller than the whole band, looked like he was from a METAL band, and just played a somewhat different style. the dude could actually shred, i will give him that. that japanese lead singer just got on my nerves. he had a lot of energy and shit, but i mean he just acted retarded and said STUPID shit to the crowd. the only thing metal about this band was their lead guitarist. their just all around hardcore. people doing stupid shit in the pit. i got more busted up during their set than i did at bodom's. only because you have all these hardcore fags doing their stupid shit in the pit. everyone in the front was just getting pissed(everyone on my side anyway).

alright, now about bodom's set. their set list was about like this, and this isnt in any order...besides the first 2:
intro: Twist and Shout...lol
Living Dead Beat
Sixpounder
Hate Me, Silent night bodom night, angels dont kill, we're not gonna fall, hatecrew deathroll, follow the reaper, Then they did Bodom after Midnight, and right before the solo...stopped....and Jaska started the Bodom beach terror beat...they played Bodom Beach, finished it, and picked up right where they left off on Bodom after Midnight....this is something tons of bands have done before, but it was still pretty cool to see again, so any 14 year olds that were there and saw this, NO bodom are not geniuses. they also played Every time i die, downfall, jaska had a solo....janne and alexi dueled, it was pretty bad ass, roope came out on stage when alexi said goodnight, and said something into the mic like "While the rest of the guys are getting drunk i will play for you" and he just went off on guitar, it was fucking awesome. they played needled 24/7, chokehold, they even did that gay britney spears shit for a little bit. but the coolest shit i saw, because im such a big fan of them, they played motley crue's Wild Side, and Too Young to fall in love. they did something else after those 2 that i cannot remember, but it was really cool to see them do those 2 songs.

after the show was really cool this year. Janne didnt run the fuck away this time, he stayed and talked to me and my cousin and our friends. i mentioned that to him. the conversation was about like this "yeah last year you ran away from everyone." Janne: "really?.....i did that?.." :looks confused: Me: "yeah..you popped on some shades and threw your hood on and just walked off like you were hiding" Janne :long pause: "....oh! yeah...i did that :laughs:" and he explaied something about seeing fans all the time and sometimes wanting to get away or something. who knows, there was a girl with him that night so....hmm.. but he was cool about taking pictures and stuff. i accidently blinded him with my video camera though, he was like ah! dude! and laughed. i got Henkka to talk into my camera, he was like, dude whats up! and stuff like that, he signed my stuff, took pictures and talked into my camera some more. he even had a finnish flag, someone gave to him for independance day. which i forgot about. i was going to bring a finnish flag too. but we talked for a good while, he was pretty cool around all the fans. Roope......crazy mother fucker. i talked to him one on one for about 20 minutes..when i first met him inside we talked and i was like, Dont leave! you got more awesome fans!, and he laughed. he signed my posters and was like "i really like this picture..its cool" and i asked him to sign my other poster with him and alexi playing, and i mentioned how it said Alexander's name at the top, instead of his, and he commented on it. i didnt even try to get to alexi because he was so swarmed at the stage. Henkka actually saw the poster of roope and alexi, after signing the band poster, and was like..hmm, ill fix that, and he crossed out alexander's name..and wrote Roope above it. and he was anxious about it, he was like, hey ill sign this too! alright? Jaska was really cool, as usual. Janne, before going in, i asked, jaska and alexi are the only ones i havent got to talk to yet, and my cousin billy, like ive posted before, never has met bodom, so janne was like okay who do you need? and after a while jaska came out, looking for his phone or something, and he took pictures and talked for a while. and my friend kenny was like, "hey dude....alexi is the only one we havent got to sign our stuff yet, could you tell him we're out here waiting" and i was like, i mean its cool dude, dont go to any trouble, and he was moving his hands like naah dude, its completely fine, dont even worry about it, ill be back". and about 3 minutes later the door opens and their guitar tech was looking around, and alexi walks out, and i walk up to him and he holds out his hand and greets me. then my friends walk up. he said something like, so you are the guys out here waiting? and he signed our things, took pictures. and it was awesome because he came out strictly for us. and i figured yeah...alexi...he isnt gonna give a shit, he's gonna go to sleep in there. but the dude came out and hung with us for a while. he commented about it, because we were asking if it was any inconvinienvce and he was like, well no i mean they said that i had some people out here waiting, and i know you guys are cold, so im not gonna leave you out here. but with all the kids not being around him, he was really a cool guy. we talked and laughed about some stuff, and i told him my girlfriend stacy wasnt able to make it tonight, and he was like oh thats too bad. and i had a camera and he saw it and laughed and i was like..come on man, talk a little. and he asked my name, and was like Jordy? and patted my shoulder and was like alright Jordy...you filming? and he was like, Hey! Jordy!.......FUCK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and flicks off the camera and was like, hey stacy whats up! see you next year, and kisses his fingers and laughed. but he was really cool about everything, and even came out for the 4 of us. and like i said, to anyone who is wondering, because i thought this for a while myself, alexi isnt an asshole when its 1 on 1, just you and him. but when he's fucking swarmed, i guess thats when he gets shy as hell or annoyed or something. plus we didnt ask any douchebag questions about his guitar playing or anything, we just talked.

okay well its time to finish this long fucking thing. and i will do so by saying....godamn.....there were so many hardcore and emo kids there, it was stupid. wearing bodom shirts, but dressed in girls pants, and those sideways hats and shit. and...get this shit...alright, atfer the show there were a couple of mini-vans with moms and dads, and younger siblings, parked and waiting for their kids. what kind of shit is that?

Jani Laiho said:
but the coolest shit i saw, because im such a big fan of them, they played motley crue's Wild Side, and Too Young to fall in love. they did something else after those 2 that i cannot remember, but it was really cool to see them do those 2 songs.

Really? Did they say why or something?

why what? they said they had been playing them for fun lately, and just played around on stage with them...they played like 10-15 seconds of each

Shadeg said:
Really? Did they say why or something?

I think they played those riffs while Janne was playing the intro keyboards to Downfall and before the initial riff came in.

Jani - that was a good review! :) It's possibly the best I've read on this board so far. Aqua teen hunh? Sounds like an added bonus! But anyway, I caught Janne and I was alone so it was really cool too. I've met him about three times before, but this time I had my Accept the Fact booklet so he seemed pretty flattered and wondered "how I got it in the states?" " I also showed him my Hatebreeder booklet that he's signed before. Jaska walked up to a small crowd in front of their tour bus and I tried to tell Jaska something, but was drowned out by everyone yelling "Jaska! Could you get Alexi for us?" :Smug: but yeah, I've never met Alexi before, but he was really cool. He shook hands and hugged some "OMG Alexi!!!1" fans. I made some small talk about how I've seen them seven times and what he thought of the weather? I thought it was cold and I told Alexi he was probably used to this weather and was like "Man, this isn't fucking cold" He signed by Hatebreeder booklet which is now signed by everyone in the band and Alexi even signed my Accept the Fact booklet (Alexi played the Sombody's Watching Me cover). Yeah, that was kinda long, but your review brought some good memories in my head. Peace.

Cool...thanx for sharing!:) And it's great to know that Allu has *not* become a total selfish rockstar asshole. (Alright theres the swarmed thing but thats understandable...)

yeah i mean i found out when its just you and him, or him and like 3 other people that are together then he is alright and normal. and there were plenty of OMG ALEXI fans there. i think its really shitty that they ask other band members to find alexi for them. i talked to all of them individualy. i asked Jaska to get alexi, AFTER I met everyone else. and because 3 of my friends were waiting for him to say hi and everything. and he was cool about it, he said he knew we were waiting in the cold and eevrything.

Jani Laiho said:
why what? they said they had been playing them for fun lately, and just played around on stage with them...they played like 10-15 seconds of each

Ah of course. Misunderstood you there, thought they played the full songs.. I didn't remember until now that they did play Wild Side in the beginning of Downfall in Nosturi too. Really nice review btw.

Yes it was a fucking amazing show, I was there the first time Ive seen them live I had a great time one of the best Ive ever been to.
Jani Laiho said:
okay well its time to finish this long fucking thing. and i will do so by saying....godamn.....there were so many hardcore and emo kids there, it was stupid. wearing bodom shirts, but dressed in girls pants, and those sideways hats and shit. and...get this shit...alright, atfer the show there were a couple of mini-vans with moms and dads, and younger siblings, parked and waiting for their kids. what kind of shit is that?
Yes, I was so annoyed by them, there were anoying kids doing stupid shit.
Good review.
Here is mine that I posted from another board:

Well last night was the big night I was finally able to see one of my favorite bands of all time and IMO probably the most talented heavy metal band as of now, Children of Bodom.
Well we got their kinda late and caught the last 2 minutes of Amon Amarth, I couldnt really make a good judgement on them really, didnt hear too many of their songs and all I remember is the singer drinking something out of a horn lol.
Trivium was up next, they were ok, not really my style, fun to move around to but I wasnt a big fan of his singing. The singer kept having to justify himself the entire time, he would have to tell the crowd to put hands in the air or start a pit, but to me things like that should occur naturally by the mood of the crowd. Anyway they really enjoyed playing and were excited, it was alot of fun.
During the last Trivium song I made my way to the front to prepare for Bodom, the sound crew was fairly quick with sound checks and all that compared to some of the other shows Ive been to. Finally Children of Bodom come out opening with their new song Living Dead beat in which i got really amped and excited, Alexi comes out with an amazing performance. His voice sounds perfect and they are playing every single not together exactly as it should be, you could easily argue they sound better live then on the recording. They play a couple older songs and Alexi gets the crowd moving and excited. They played an amzazing setlist (although there were a few others i was hoping for). A favorite moment of mine was when they combined Bodom After Midnight and Bodom Beach Terror, that was really great. Then there was a crazy drum solo which allowed the crowd to regain energy, then they played a handfull of older ones with a few off of the newer albums. Then another great moment of the night was the solo battle between the guitarist (alexi) and the keyboardist, was amazing. Keep in mind that the keyboardist was drunk off his ass playing with one hand the board facing the crowd and drinking at the same time note for note with what Alexi was playing, both are some of the best musicians I know of. They played a few more and ended their set with an amazing performance of Hatecrew Deathroll, they added in a singalong chorus near the end, this is one of my favorite songs next to Bodom Beach Terror. They had no choice but to play an encore and played 3 or 4 more songs. You could tell all of them were having a great time doing what they do best.
I had a great time, 3rd best night of my life (the other 2 were Danzig concerts). Here is the setlist if interested (not in order):

Living Dead Beat
Six Pounder
Silent Night Bodem Night
Angels Dont Kill (a favorite of mine)
Follow the Reaper
Were not Gonna Fall
Needled 24/7
Bodom After Midnight/Bodom Beach Terror
In Your Face
Every Time I Die
Are You Dead Yet
Hate Crew Death Roll
Chokehold
Downfall
Hate Me!

Great concert, however security were dicks. They almost kicked my friend out for "cursing" they thought he was cursing towards staff and they threw him out, he eventually was able to convince them to let him back in after apologizing. Then my other friend was in the pit and punched some guy and the guy got pissed and was able to get him thrown out for good halfway through the concert. Then ther was almost a fight between my friends and another couple guys who were starting shit. So there was potential for 4 out of 7 to of us to get kicked out.

Jani Laiho said:
alright, atfer the show there were a couple of mini-vans with moms and dads, and younger siblings, parked and waiting for their kids. what kind of shit is that?

what's wrong with that? my dad drove me and my 4 friends to the gig, and 2 of them are 18. his mom was being a douchebag and didnt let him drive. if your parents are willing to drive you that kicks ass. I remember my dad also picked me up from ozzfest (my brother was in the car, he came along for the ride, what's wrong with that), and pretty much all the other concert's i have been to.

so what's your beef with parents picking up their kids from the show?

and good review btw

You're Ugly said:
what's wrong with that? my dad drove me and my 4 friends to the gig, and 2 of them are 18. his mom was being a douchebag and didnt let him drive. if your parents are willing to drive you that kicks ass. I remember my dad also picked me up from ozzfest (my brother was in the car, he came along for the ride, what's wrong with that), and pretty much all the other concert's i have been to.

so what's your beef with parents picking up their kids from the show?

and good review btw

i dont have a beef dude, i just hated the 13 year old kids there acting like idiots. they tried to prove to everyone that they were bad ass and more metal than anyone there...then at the end of the show here comes mom and dad in a mini van.....yeah, you're hardcore! the only problem i have is kids trying to prove something at a concert, when normal people just go to have a good time

Jani Laiho said:
i dont have a beef dude, i just hated the 13 year old kids there acting like idiots. they tried to prove to everyone that they were bad ass and more metal than anyone there...then at the end of the show here comes mom and dad in a mini van.....yeah, you're hardcore! the only problem i have is kids trying to prove something at a concert, when normal people just go to have a good time

oh ok, im sorry man i misinterpereted you. I thought you didnt like the metal fans who went to the concert to have a good time, but had to get picked up by their parents because it was their only option. I see your point now and i agree with it, sorry it wasnt clear to me the first time.

sounds like a fun time, sucks i didn't go.

I'm not sold on the "scene" here. Seems forced - 98% of the crowds here in Atlanta are into metal because it's "trendy". Real shame - down with EMO!

yea, i was there, it ruled. Trivium's singer is gay, the trivium fans were faggots. 3 trivium girls behind me kept screaming cuddles. After trivium alot of the kiddies disappeared though luckily.