Revisiting Shadow Gallery

Bamafan

Sep 11, 2010
Heart of Dixie
With the announcement of SG's first ever PP appearance, I dusted off my entire Shadow Gallery catalog. This band really writes some amazing songs. While I am partial to the genius of Tyranny and Room V, Digital Ghosts is more appealing to me than when it first came out. Dare I say it? It is proggier than their previous releases.

It's funny, but I actually pulled out Room V a couple of weeks before PP. It had been a couple of years since I'd given it a listen and had forgotten what a great disc this is! "Lamentia" can still turn on the waterworks. :cry:

Hell yes! I was so excited when I hear they were playing, been wanting to see them since forever!!! Been a fan since back at Carved in Stone! Crystalline Dream!! Digital Ghost is great too but their master piece is definitely Tyranny, great concept album! So looking forward to them playing!

Bear

I'm still partial to Carved In Stone - of all the free CDs I got for review during a brief stint running a fanzine in high school and college, that was one of only two discs that stuck with me (the other being Lethal - Down). I like Tyranny and Legacy well enough, and the only song I listen to from Room V is Archer of Ben Salem, but I always go back to Carved In Stone more than any other SG disc.

I have probably listened more to their self titled album than any other, but I was sucking up any and all prog in those days. It's all good though. I've had the hardest time getting into Digital Ghosts than any of them.

I fucking love this band to no end. They're one of those 'special' bands to me. You know the kind: the feeling goes beyond just 'loving' the band, and is more a feeling of connection, that your life wouldn't quite be right without them.

I feel that 'Tyranny' is the best place to start, then either 'Carved in Stone' or 'Room V'. I feel 'Legacy' is their weakest album, but don't avoid it. There is some gold on there. 'Shadow Gallery' is a horribly underrated album. It contains some of their best ever material, and deserves a place in your collection. 'Digital Ghosts' is great, but the sad fact that Brian Ashland isn't Mike Baker takes away some of the Shadow-Galleryness, to me. It's still definitely them though, and it's still definitely excellent.

God, I wish I wasn't at work right now. I might have to run out to my car just to listen to 'Christmas Day' real quick. Seriously, the combo of 'Ghost of a Chance' and 'Christmas Day' makes for one of the most amazing closings to an album that I've ever heard. It gives me chills; it moves me to tears; it's part of my soul. This all may seem rather hyperbolic, but I really do feel that strongly about this band.

So, in closing: should you get all of their albums? Do you like breathing air?

Never did get around to picking up Room V or Legacy. Probably one of those cases where I never found it reasonably priced and a strong desire to have it. (It happened again during ProgPower, because Zane's lone copy of Room V was $16.)

I still think that Carved In Stone and Tyranny are the must-own albums.

Carved in Stone is my favorite....Crystalline Dream is just amazing. I also like Dont Cry, Just Remember. I need to listen to their other ones...although their new album rules too.

I think most people agree that Tyranny is their masterpiece and one of the all time best prog metal/concept albums ever.

But then I really enjoy most of their other records as well. Honestly it is hard to rank Room V, Legacy and CiS, because it just depends on my mood.. They all have their great moments.

Digital Ghosts is a solid record too, I wish they would have used their new singer on the whole record though. The guest vocalists interrupted the flow of the album in my mind, since I saw it as an introduction to SG 2.0. It is not to say those songs are bad, on the contrary, Venom is easily my favorite song on the album (the vocals are amazing). Maybe they will have something new out in time for the fest.

I just went and downloaded Digital Ghosts from iTunes. I had a brief but torrid affair with Shadow Gallery and I still can't figure out why we broke it off.
I'll be moving the rest of the catalogue to my iPod soon. It's so easy to forget about some great cd's that just get lost along the way.