Rhapsody of Fire splits into two.

I think it's odd that after all these years together, the band would split into factions like this. However, I like the possibility of two good bands coming out of this. I look at it like the original Angra split. "Rebirth" and "Ritual" were two of the best power metal releases of the decade as far as I'm concerned. Hopefully, we'll have similar results with Turilli and Staropoli.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

I think it's odd that after all these years together, the band would split into factions like this. However, I like the possibility of two good bands coming out of this. I look at it like the original Angra split. "Rebirth" and "Ritual" were two of the best power metal releases of the decade as far as I'm concerned. Hopefully, we'll have similar results with Turilli and Staropoli.

On the one hand, I'd love to see this happen also, and see double the QUALITY material.

On the other hand, I'm a little concerned about the "quality" part. I feel like with the last few Rhapsody albums they are just sort of treading water. It's gotten to the same point that bands like Gamma Ray, Helloween, and Edguy have all reached, where I just feel like they are rehashing the same stuff over and over.

Honestly, it's probably as much me as it is their material, as maybe the power metal thing is getting burned out for me, but somehow...... I listened to "Legendary Tales" this weekend, and it sounded AWESOME all over again. Yet I listen to "Chaos to Eternity" and don't get anywhere near that same vibe. Intrinsically, nothing is WRONG with the material on it. It just feels like I've heard it all before at this point.

I'm certainly open to whatever they put out, as silly as this whole split thing is, but I'm skeptical also as to just how fresh any of it will be.

It's gotten to the same point that bands like Gamma Ray, Helloween, and Edguy have all reached, where I just feel like they are rehashing the same stuff over and over.

That SO isn't fair to put Helloween and Gamma Ray in the same category as recent Edguy. Helloween still puts out quality releases album after album. Are they going to re-create the wheel? No, but who wants them to? Same with Gamma Ray, though I do think they're much more inconsistent. Edguy? They're on a downward spiral. :lol:

While I didn't love the latest Eguy in comparison to their older CDs, I wouldn't say they're on a "downward spiral". Their songs are still good, they're catchy, they're fun. It's not like they're suddenly autotuning Tobias or something.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Yes, but the Angra camp was always operating at a creative level well above what Rhapsody was doing.

While I didn't love the latest Eguy in comparison to their older CDs, I wouldn't say they're on a "downward spiral". Their songs are still good, they're catchy, they're fun. It's not like they're suddenly autotuning Tobias or something.

:yow::yow::yow:

Wow, I could not disagree any more. Essentially, you're saying that they maintained the same level as the Vain Glory Opera/Theater of Salvation/Mandrake/Hellfire Club streak. I mean, sure the latest 3 albums have fun songs, but I think they're way over the hill on their way down by now.

Yeah, you are right about Edguy...... Debate all you want whether they are on a downward spiral or not, at least their albums are not sound the same all the time. And I do agree: I much prefer a new Helloween to a new Edguy nowadays!

Maybe Hammerfall would be a better comparison: I hear no real changes since their debut?

Anyways, point remains the same: I'll need to hear something impressive from either half for me to really be excited about this at all.

(And even Angra I believe has hit a flat spot with their last couple albums, sadly.)

Maybe Hammerfall would be a better comparison: I hear no real changes since their debut?

Yeah, I'd say so. Which is sad, because I'm a giant Hammerfall fangirl. Their latest CDs have been mostly disappointments, with a few gems sprinkled throughout.