Riot - Thundersteel lineup reunion?

I love Riot and Thundersteel is an amazing album. That live footage is awesome. I've been waiting for someone to upload some Moore era live footage.

this was the best news of 2008
Tony Moore is the best singer riot's ever had.
having said that Rhett Forrester was great too.
hopefully this will give riot that classic edge back.
the only singers that have ever done a decent job of thundersteel are Tony Moore and Mark Reale in the original demo.

Hey, friends,

Just checkin' in - I've come across video footage of almost an entire Tokyo show from the Privilege of Power tour, and as soon as I get it processed we'll stream it from our new site, <http://www.riot8808.com>

We have a new MySpace page, too, & it will be there as well:

<http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=438269121>

Preparations for Sweden Rock are under way, writing a ton of new stuff, and we're adding some dates. I'll stop by again with more info soon:kickass::kickass:.

Thanks for keeping the faith!

TM
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/images/smilies/beerbang.gif

Just checkin' in - I've come across video footage of almost an entire Tokyo show from the Privilege of Power tour, and as soon as I get it processed we'll stream it from our new site, <http://www.riot8808.com>

Whoa, that's some seriously good news! :headbang:
At least for all those who (like me) didn't have the chance to see you live back then...

We have a new MySpace page, too, & it will be there as well:

Thank god you finally have decently designed web pages ;)

Preparations for Sweden Rock are under way, writing a ton of new stuff, and we're adding some dates. I'll stop by again with more info soon:kickass::kickass:.

I'll cross my fingers for a chance to see you live on this tour... Somewhere in the neighbourhood (Austria, Italy, Slovenia, Hungary) if possible :worship:

Hi! I'm writing from Tokyo.
TPOP Tour in Tokyo!! I was there! I was 12 years old boy and it was my first metal concert experience. It was really awesome show and I still clearly remember every moment of that night. When they started the show with On Your Knees SE, my brother and I went crazy!

Sorry for my poor English. I just wanted to tell that a Riot fan from Tokyo is looking forward to the Tokyo show footage online and reunion shows in Japan.

SHINE ON:headbang:

I just read through this thread now and noticed ultravoxxx is Tony.:OMG:
Konnichiwa Tony san! Hope to see you again in Japan.

Konichiwa, my friends!

It's not confirmed yet, but we've been asked to come to Japan for 3 shows on October 23rd (my birthday!) 24th and 25th.
Our manager won't let me say anything more until it's definite, but so far it looks good and the news will be on our websites immediately once we're confirmed. I haven't been to Japan for 20 years and I really hope it happens. If it does, I promise to dedicate 'On Your Knees' to you, so make sure that you're right up front! More soon...

Peace!

TM
:headbang:

Anybody checked out http://Markreale.com, wow new look and got some nice photos of Tony and Joe in studio and even a nice bio on Narita.... But I like video from Greece best seeing that I was at that great show with my friend. Love the Guy photos too, thanks Mark for all the great times...your rule!

fliper :loco:

Here's the latest:
May 1, 2009 - Warm-up show date confirmed! RIOT YouTube channel launched! Writing for a new album!

So far, so good, people. We've just concluded our first writing session as a band in almost 20 years and we're happy to say that it was a very productive get-together. After exchanging musical ideas long distance for the past few months, Mark and Mike recently joined Don and Bobby down in San Antonio, Texas where many RIOT songs have been written over the course of the last quarter century, including much of 'The Privilege of Power.' Getting together in the same room was a lot like getting back on the bike - it felt very natural and the chemistry between us was back in an instant.

"The material that Bobby and I have been writing sounds like the follow-up to 'Thundersteel' and TPOP; it's like we never missed a beat!", states Don. "The new stuff is in the same vein except even more intense! I describe it as "'Thundersteel' on crack!."

Intially, we were hoping to come up with 6 or 7 tunes and ended up with over a dozen really strong song ideas we'll be developing beyond the demo stage. The next step is for Tony and Mark to work on melodies and lyrics. Says Tony: "Don, Bobby, Mark and Mike have sent me some incredibly rich and challenging instrumentals, and while I'm practicing day and night to rebuild 'the Voice of Steel', I'm also looking deep inside to find stories that will do justice to this inspiring new music. I'll tell you this much - right now it sounds like what you would expect if the five of us had kept progressing together the whole time. It's intense music and promises to be a tour de force that runs the whole gamut of what Metal can do. I've set expectations pretty high, but this band has never settled for less. I can't wait to share the new songs with our true fans who've waited as long as we have for this to happen."

Mark had this to say: "I'm definitely having fun putting myself back into the type of mindset we were in as a band when we created 'Thundersteel' and 'The Privilege of Power.' The five of us working together - Don's crazy riffs, Bobby's insane drumming, Tony's soaring vocals, and having the luxury of Mike's second guitar this time around - makes for a unique collaboration."

We are all excited about going into the studio to record this album, which will get under way over the summer. We've had the video camera running throughout this writing session and will get some footage up soon. Until then we thought it would be cool to start off our YouTube channel OfficialRiotNYCTV with a rare live clip of the song 'Fight Or Fall.' This footage was recorded in Tokyo, Japan on the 'Thundersteel' tour in 1989. It was our first time there and is a great memory for all of us.

Last but not least and back to the present - we finally have a confirmed date and venue for our pre-Sweden Rock warm-up show! RIOT will be kicking out the jams at the Scout Bar, Ste 101, 19314 US Highway 281 in San Antonio on Tuesday, June 2. Check the Scout Bar website for club info. We couldn't be more thrilled to be able to get out in front of our fans in what has long been our second home: San Antonio, Rock City! So mark your calendars, spread the word, and c'mon down and help give us a proper send off! We'll see you there!

I'm stoked with the fact I'm seeing Riot this Saturday! :worship:

I really am quite confident that the new album will deliver. Mark Reale knows his stuff, Riot has never released a truly bad album. Also, Faith and Fire proved that Tony can definitely still sing.
I also wish they'd recapture some of that strange spirit of TPOP, I haven't really heard anything quite like that album. It's not prog metal but it sure is more progressive and unique than 97% of the prog metal coming out these days. Not saying the new album should specifically have a horn section or anything like that but I just hope to hear that openminded adventurous approach with perfect instrumental and vocal execution.

I hope I get a chance to see them on tour, but if I can't hopefully their new album will be in the style of "Thundersteel".

OK, here's what they played. This is all from my head so it's not in order except for the first two and the last two.

Narita
Fight Or Fall
On Your Knees
Sign Of The Crimson Storm
Metal Soldiers
Johnny's Back
Storming The Gates Of Hell
Flight Of The Warrior
Swords And Tequila
Bloodstreets
Wings Are For Angels (new song, killer!)
Dance Of Death
Outlaw
Thundersteel
Warrior

Everybody was in top form, great show. The new song was fast and very technical. Obviously can't analyze it much better than that (didn't even expect to hear a new song) but it was 100% Riot, I can say that.

What an excellent festival this was. Very few disappointing performances and just a great atmosphere. I might do a short review at some point but anyway the top 5 for me were Riot, Jon Oliva's Pain, Journey, ZZ Top and rather unexpectedly... Foreigner!

Tsorl, can you tell how much time Riot played? Here in Spain (Metalway festival) they´re going to play 1 hour but the Sweden Rock set list is quite longer.

A couple of things about it:

1. I´d prefer that they had focused only on "Thundersteel" and "Privilege of power" songs.
2. Totally disappointing that they played "Sign of the crimson storm" (the only keak "Thundersteel" song) and not the overwhelming "Buried alive".

Anyway, counting the days for seeing them, one of my two favourite bands playing mainly songs from one of my top10 albums ever :worship:

They played for 1h 15min so expect a few songs cut out. For me this was the first time of seeing Riot in any lineup so the few older tracks were no problem at all. Anyway, I don't think you'll be disappointed.:kickass: