rival studios

I recently had a band get shady on me trying to cut corners on cost they owed me for studio time.

In the end they got a great recording for less than they initially budgeted for.

Few months later, I see them going to this other local kid who charges $5 less per hour. His stuff is decent to ok but I haven't heard any improvements in the last year.

But the end result of their latest demo was mediocre and the vocals were terrible. (I spent 6 hours alone making the vocalist sound good with about 12 pluggins)

I know they would have sounded far better had they come back to me again, especially since I improve after every couple of bands.

The only thing that made me feel better about the competition is hearing that their demo sounded worse.

Surprises me how much bands are willing to sacrifice their sound quality for a few dollars per hour though.

Jesus, what a bitter piece of shit - at least justice is served if he doesn't get any decent clients! Still, I think you ought to at least post SOME kind of a defense of yourself, even if it's just something like "Actions speak louder than words, let customers choose which sounds better" - I don't think that'd be considered stooping to his level, cuz you're not ripping on him, but if it were me I'd wanna have SOMETHING to try to keep my reputation intact (though at least, from what your saying, the only people that listen to him are people close in your area).

good idea...I just posted a blog myself....without referring to him to much though...since 99% of my clients have never heard of that studio and 100% of all important bands never will ;)

www.myspace.com/lsdtonstudio

cheers

good idea...I just posted a blog myself....without referring to him to much though...since 99% of my clients have never heard of that studio and 100% of all important bands never will ;)

www.myspace.com/lsdtonstudio

cheers

Such losers ;)

@topic
I also think to not think about a band leaving too much is right. Of course it's a bit shocking sometimes, but life must go on :)

But what I wanted to add is that I have the feeling a lot of bands get dazzled by big equipment very fast.
Like it is automatically better if the mixing desk is huge.

i actually found out the producer i thought recorded them actually didn't, but it sounded justs like one of his mixes. they found some guy i've never heard of.

But the end result of their latest demo was mediocre and the vocals were terrible. (I spent 6 hours alone making the vocalist sound good with about 12 pluggins)

thats awesome! i actually did get a little justification hearing them re-record a song of theirs i recorded for them. overall, it's a buch cleaner sounding mix, but i am still the master of melodyne for fixing out of tune notes :heh:. their newer mix isn't as forgiving as i was.:rolleyes:

+1

I think these bigger studios get pissed because unfortunately they have spent thousands of dollars on equipment and haven’t spent that time or energy in learning and keeping up with the craft. This profession requires learning constantly. Ego is the kiss of death for this and eventually, if not corrected, you will be handed to your hat.

Personally I would rather have a guy who can utilize 100% on a $500 all-in-one multi-track rather than a idiot who has a $50,000 setup who can only utilize 5% of it. Equipment doesn’t make the sound, people/minds do.

You say "they" and "them," Lasse - isn't it just one dude? And what did you ever do to him to make him so fucking spiteful? Jesus...

i would say that the best way to deal with "rival" studios is to not consider them as such...everyone who's making a living off this music shit(or who's trying to) is in the same boat together, and should support each other as much as possible, even if it means losing a client to another studio...and sometimes even sending them somewhere else if you can't meet their needs.

I find this to be the case 99% of the time here...Very disappointing.
very very true here...... I have a quarter million dollar studio near me, and it sound supprising bad for the amount of money invested.

But I lose alot of business due to the glamor factor.

And also on the other end of the spectrum...

I just recently had two bands that I recorded before, jump over to another studio because it was cheaper........ but got some shitty tracks.

So they holllar'd back at me to get the tracks redone.:lol:

It's a little unrealistic to believe that every client you record will remain loyal forever. I don't know if it's in any artists' best interest to record with the same engineer/producer for every single album they do. I can't think of many successful artists who do that.

I have an interesting little story...

I was talking with one of my best clients who I usually record at home. He was telling me how his band will be recording at the studio where I've been interning. That's great news, right!? Hold on... They are not going to actually record with me, but with one of the other engineers. DOH! A little bit awkward at first. The most important thing I had to admit was that the other engineer that "stole" the gig really is the tits. His mixes (and engineering skills) are probably better than anyone I've ever met. Yeah it sucks that I didn't get the cash, but I had to be honest with myself that working with the other engineer was really the best thing for the band. Now their myspace page features songs recorded by both of us and it really gives the different songs their own flavor.

I had a guy email three or four of my clients who are all top friends asking to do a free song for them recently. I kinda over reacted in my head at first, thinking he was just going through my friend list and emailing people, but then cooled down and figured the town is so small, it could just be coincidence. Even if he was doing that though, it's really not as big a deal as it seemed to me at first. I just stopped and thought about the nature of competition. Sure a band may get dazzled by nice gear, but if you do a better job than that studio, they're going to notice and spread the word at how much better you are than them. It even becomes a bigger deal. "Dude, this guy does way better and his studio looks like crap." The wow factor can go both ways when it comes to results.

I look at it this way. The only reason to be afraid of the competition is if you're insecure in your own abilities to do a good job.

It's hard to know what niche to fall into.

'Most cost effective.
'Best quality end result'
'Most approachable and easy going'

No matter which you slot yourself into, there will be bands looking for something else. Personally, I refuse to compromise my work and release demo quality, so in the past I have lost a bit of business that way due to people not wanting to pay the engineering rate to make my time worth the while. I always try to explain that I put 100% into each and every project, despite size and budget, but not all bands are after that. Many would much rather record with their drummer's cousin who has a Mbox mini and can record their album, because that's all you need right? :)

It's a tough industry, for sure, and being the very best you can be, head and shoulders above the competition is only square 1. Reputation, attaining & maintaining regular work is the rest of the battle.

Seriously Lasse did you smash his face with a hammer? Cannibal Corpse can help a lot lol
Well he's just jeulous ;)
Going on topic recently I couldn't track an album for a band I did a demo (that actually got them signed), I told them I was busy.
So when they told me they were going to record with another guy because I was busy I give 'em some advices, seriously I'm not jealous, I wanted to give help suggesting to track DI's along mic tracks, because I know how the other's studio guitars' sound is... the other guys produce shitty sounds (he's really a cool guy anyway but his tone sucks lol).
So basically I don't give a shit if you prefer working with other studios, I'm fine.
In the end they guys were so happy I reccomended to track DI's, I basically saved their asses lol.
Next time I think they won't hesitate to work with me again because I'm not an asshole.