Riverside = Pink Floyd

hoodaman

Is it live or is it Dave?
Dec 19, 2006
I've been listening to Riverside for the past week along with the other PPIX bands and I have to say, Riverside sounds like a mix of Pink Floyd and a little bit of Jethro Tull thrown in too. The heavy guitars every once in a while set it off.

As I'm typing this, the title track to Second Life Syndrome is playing and I can't help but be amazed as how much it has that "Shine on You Crazy Diamond" feel to it.

They're not the heaviest thing around but that doesn't make them any less enjoyable to listen to.

Good stuff.

Has anyone else equated Riverside to Pink Floyd?

Later,
Dave

is that on one of their studio releases? I can't seem to find it...

Thanks.

Actually, a good bit of the stuff on SLS has that vibe. I think it's partially their clean tone and their style of riffing in the calm parts.

I mentioned to Michael it actually reminds me slightly of Opeth if you just removed all the heavy parts to their songs, ala Damnation.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing them. Although IMO, Evergrey's Night to Remember set was the reason I started going to PP...

The Jethro Tull influence is not as heavy as the Pink Floyd influence but I think it's more present on the studio album.

They are REALLY good live! I saw them at nearfest a couple years ago! Their performance was great, but I couldn't really enjoy the show that much because of the atmosphere at Nearfest...

I've been listening to Riverside for the past week along with the other PPIX bands and I have to say, Riverside sounds like a mix of Pink Floyd and a little bit of Jethro Tull thrown in too. The heavy guitars every once in a while set it off.

As I'm typing this, the title track to Second Life Syndrome is playing and I can't help but be amazed as how much it has that "Shine on You Crazy Diamond" feel to it.

They're not the heaviest thing around but that doesn't make them any less enjoyable to listen to.

Good stuff.

Has anyone else equated Riverside to Pink Floyd?

Later,
Dave

:lol::lol::lol:

This is so funny because i said the same thing to Micheal the other night and he was vehmently protesting against it being ANYTHING like that.

And i don't think it sounds like Opeth at all. Opeth is insanely more interesting than Riverside.

In my opinion though, Riverside sounds like stoner music or something stoners listen to when they're high LOL. I found, from what i heard, the music to be incredibly boring. :erk: Just my humble opinion.

Porcupine Tree, Pink Floyd, Opeth, and Anathema go into a blender, and out comes Riverside. The influences or hints of these bands are there, but to me there's no one that really sounds like this band. Their music has held up very well for me since Out of Myself was first released, and I'm elated that they're on next year's bill, as they're tops on my list of bands I very much want to see.

Riverside=Pink Floyd?

Sorry, no.

For me, lyrics are equally as important as the melody, and Riverside cannot touch PF in that area.

Pink Floyd has created some of the most socially conscious, mind-changing lyrics ever. Riverside lyrics describe love lost or gained, unrequited romance, and the pain of failed relationships. Riversides lyrics will never drive the way you think about how society works, the ills of the world, or how to affect change beyond your own emotions.

All of that said, Riverside makes this concert for me--their albums kick my ass and they are by far the top draw.

They are REALLY good live! I saw them at nearfest a couple years ago! Their performance was great, but I couldn't really enjoy the show that much because of the atmosphere at Nearfest...

You mean the old man vibe didnt do it for ya? :zombie:

I also enjoyed the hell out of their set. I cannot thank Glenn enough for getting them (I can stop bothering the piss out of him now because of it ;)).

Any 'slow' and 'atmospheric' band gets (often improperly) said to sound like Pink Floyd.

Riverside sounds nothing like Pink Floyd.

If you want to say they draw their 'slow' and 'atmospheric' sound from Pink Floyd, as if P.F. invented these qualities then go ahead.

Riverside is a perfect blend of Pink Floyd, Opeth, Anathema and Porcupine Tree imo.

However, Riverside is still millions of light years ahead of all of these bands. They're the best band in the entire universe, and I can't wait to see them at ProgPower. Yes, I'll be by the rail, center-stage.

They rule the progressive scene, period.

And yes, I'm more of a Riverside fanboy than John and Greg w/ Pagan's Mind.