Riverside = Pink Floyd

Opeth is insanely more interesting than Riverside.
I hope this is not the case. I was really looking forward to checking out Riverside until I read this. Opeth is IMO absolutely the most boring band I have ever seen live hands-down. (And I've seen them live more than once, unfortunately.) I don't think there is any possible way in the world that any band could be less interesting to my eyes than Opeth.
Pink Floyd [...] However, Riverside is still millions of light years ahead of all of these bands. [...] They rule the progressive scene, period.
How can you be light years ahead of a band that practically invented the genre your band choose to follow? Pink Floyd made progressive music what it is. Without Pink Floyd, bands like Riverside would not even exist.

I hope this is not the case. I was really looking forward to checking out Riverside until I read this. Opeth is IMO absolutely the most boring band I have ever seen live hands-down. (And I've seen them live more than once, unfortunately.) I don't think there is any possible way in the world that any band could be less interesting to my eyes than Opeth.

I'm wayyyyy biased, but I couldn't disagree more about Opeth. I won't go on and on, but I couldn't just not respond :)

How can you be light years ahead of a band that practically invented the genre your band choose to follow? Pink Floyd made progressive music what it is. Without Pink Floyd, bands like Riverside would not even exist.

I know what you're saying but I don't really think it works like that. I certainly don't agree with saying Riverside blows Pink Floyd away (and I am a huge Riverside fan but it takes more than 3 great albums to dethrone Floyd), and yes Pink Floyd did pretty much define that style they're known for. That being said, you don't have to like the originator of a sound or style to like a band that came about through the evolution of that sound.

Case in point: I don't like the Beatles :)

I just think their clean tone and some of their riffs scream David Gilmour. The only hint of Opeth I hear is in the vocal tone. The music...not so much Opeth at all.

Opeth is more dynamic, but I wouldn't say that they're more interesting. I highly recommend that you check Riverside out. Don't let one negative comment stop you from listening to an incredible band.

Possessed practically invented death metal. Are they the greatest DM band ever?
The Big 4 popularized thrash. Are they the be all end all of thrash?
The point I'm trying to make it that just because somebody invented/progressed a genre doesn't make them the best. Although I don't agree with the statement that Riverside is better than PF, it's very possible that a band could come along in the future and dethrone PF.

Opeth is more dynamic, but I wouldn't say that they're more interesting. I highly recommend that you check Riverside out. Don't let one negative comment stop you from listening to an incredible band.

I know I didn't and I don't think anyone else mentioning Opeth meant it as a negative comment. From the sound of it, she doesn't like them live but seems to like their music enough to want to see them live. It's pretty ridiculous to think one band sounding like another band automatically makes them everything like the other band, especially how they play live.

Don't worry. I'm still planning on checking Riverside out, as I plan to with all the bands announced for next year's roster. I prefer to judge for myself, although it is always interesting to hear other people's opinions.
I know I didn't and I don't think anyone else mentioning Opeth meant it as a negative comment. From the sound of it, she doesn't like them live but seems to like their music enough to want to see them live. It's pretty ridiculous to think one band sounding like another band automatically makes them everything like the other band, especially how they play live.
If you are referring to me, I don't like Opeth - period. I never really cared for the studio stuff. (It just didn't do anything for me, probably because I'm really picky about the death metal I like, typically only certain melodic death metal bands.) Never-the-less, I have had many bands blow me away and win me over as a fan after seeing them perform live. So I gave Opeth a chance ... and they bored me to death :zombie: and to sleep :zzz: ... every time I saw them live (2 or 3 times and each time I had trouble keeping my eyes open). If you already like the band's music, you'd probably have a good time at their live show regardless of their on-stage performance (or lack-there-of IMO). If, like me, their albums didn't do anything for you, watching the band planted on stage, not moving and looking more bored then you'll probably feel watching them, is not going to improve your perception of their music.

The comment about them being "insanely more interesting" than Riverside caught my attention because I have had such poor live experiences with Opeth several times in the past that if Riverside's music/performance was being place so far below that of Opeth's, it seemed that there was a good possibility that I would not like Riverside. Of course IMHO if they are that far beneath Opeth in those areas then they have no place being on the PP bill at all. I have much more faith in Glenn, thus I will be checking into Riverside more and formulating my own opinion.

The hints posted here as to their sound is enticing... I've not heard the music, although I did find a copy or two available on feeBay which I will get... can someone be so kind as to provide the link for the myspace page for Riverside?

Once upon a time I lived in Riverside, CA and know that a simple search for "Riverside" will yield boring results - so I figured a fellow ProgP'r could help me out. Thanks!

Martin

checking it out now... thanks for that!

Maybe "Loose Heart" has been replaced with "Ultimate Trip Pt1"??? That song is just in at over 80 plays, so maybe that's it

I dont hear the Floyd, but I do hear remnants of Jethro Tull - and strangely enough reminds me a bit of Eloy

...came back in to edit my post just to say:
I REALLY LIKE THIS BAND! What a refreshing change from the run-of-the-mill - definitely on my "must see" list for IX

Martin

So, are you trying to say that I can't like power metal if I don't like say Helloween and Iron Maiden? Are you also trying to say that I can't like rock if I am not into the Beatles or the Rolling Stones? Or Elvis for that matter?

I kinda see where you're coming from, but your argument is not valid as far as I know. In my opinion Riverside is way ahead of Pink Floyd as far as music goes, simply because I like Riverside way way way more than I like Pink Floyd.

That being said, yes, I believe Riverside is way ahead of Floyd as far as I'm concerned. One may disagree or say I'm biased because I am their fanboy. It is what it is, whether you like it or not...

So, are you trying to say that I can't like power metal if I don't like say Helloween and Iron Maiden? Are you also trying to say that I can't like rock if I am not into the Beatles or the Rolling Stones? Or Elvis for that matter?

I kinda see where you're coming from, but your argument is not valid as far as I know. In my opinion Riverside is way ahead of Pink Floyd as far as music goes, simply because I like Riverside way way way more than I like Pink Floyd.

That being said, yes, I believe Riverside is way ahead of Floyd as far as I'm concerned. One may disagree or say I'm biased because I am their fanboy. It is what it is.

I have to agree here. Regardless of who influenced who, often the 'derivative' bands end up being much more enjoyable for me, and the Riverside/Pink Floyd situation is yet another one where this holds true.

Can someone who has seen them before please give us a glimpse of what we're going to see? Not much action, right? I can't imagine that we're going to see a lot of stage presence up there (i.e. movement). Although I have been wanting to see them since the first album came out, I didn't expect it to happen at PP. I am hoping that there is a signing session for the big power metal headliner during the same time so I don't have to hear all the "power" people whining about how boring Riverside is. More room for us proggers...:)

I have to agree here. Regardless of who influenced who, often the 'derivative' bands end up being much more enjoyable for me, and the Riverside/Pink Floyd situation is yet another one where this holds true.
I didn't mean to imply that you can't enjoy a band more than a band than preceded it. (Sorry if it came across that way.) I just find it hard to believe that Riverside (or most other progressive bands for that matter) has done more for the progressive genre than Pink Floyd. I was only trying to say it seems contradictory to say that you are "light years ahead of" a band that preceded your time in a style of music - you can't be ahead if you came after. It would be sorta like saying that Primal Fear is light years ahead of Judas Priest. They may be better than Priest currently (IMHO), but I wouldn't say that they were light years ahead, simply because they came after Priest. :)goggly: I hope this is making sense. I'm starting to confuse myself. :lol:)

To say that you think Riverside is better than Pink Floyd, or that they have expanded the boundaries of what Pink Floyd was a catalyst for, is a fine opinion.

Can someone who has seen them before please give us a glimpse of what we're going to see? Not much action, right? I can't imagine that we're going to see a lot of stage presence up there (i.e. movement). Although I have been wanting to see them since the first album came out, I didn't expect it to happen at PP. I am hoping that there is a signing session for the big power metal headliner during the same time so I don't have to hear all the "power" people whining about how boring Riverside is. More room for us proggers...:)

Well don't expect a Brainstorm-esque set ;) . When I saw them at NEARfest, they were completely immersed in their music (As was I in the crowd). They were certainly not statues, but stage presence was not high on their agenda. They delivered some very passionate playing, combined with beautiful delivery. I cannot speak highly enough of their set. I think they fit in at PP great (they were certainly too heavy for NEARfest).

Thanks for the link and the song tip. I will definitely be giving these guys a few more listens and will probably be picking up one of their albums soon. Would you recommend the album that "Loose Heart" is on (Out of Myself)? Or is there another album I should be checking out for a first purchase?

Well you really cannot go wrong with any of their releases. To be honest, I think my favorite release from them might be an EP.. :lol: It is called "Voices in my Head", and it has a few of my all-time favorite tracks from them (Acronym Love and The Time I was Daydreaming).