Riverside = Pink Floyd

a) When Mariusz is singing live, you can *really* feel everything that he is singing...He's a very honest vocalist i feel above anything else...I'd say starting with Out of Myself is best. It is a Concept Trilogy after all...plus the first track "The Same River" I believe is a track that really captures the essence of Riverside...

There is a particular vocal moment in their song 'The Curtain Falls'. It is the first notes that Mariusz produces (an "OOoooOOOOoooooooooooo"). My cerebrum tingles everytime I hear it. I CANNOT WAIT (have I said that yet? :)).

+1

I also note that Mikael has ramped up his audience patter a bit on the last Opeth tour, and has more crowd interaction.

Edguy or Brainstorm they aren't -- and thank Ghu for that! -- but when I'm watching Opeth, I'm watching great music being perforned, not a circus onstage. (and also watching out for mosh-pits nearby :err: )

Meanwhile...I'm really looking forward to Riverside's set. Prior to this, how often have they played the US?

thanks to hear someone agrees. I do wish Opeth would bring more old pre-still life tracks into their live set and that doesn't count demon of the fall.

To the people that think it would be better to just stay at home listening to the cd if a band isn't acting like a bunch of clowns on stage, you won't get it even if I described the experience further.

There is a particular vocal moment in their song 'The Curtain Falls'. It is the first notes that Mariusz produces (an "OOoooOOOOoooooooooooo"). My cerebrum tingles everytime I hear it. I CANNOT WAIT (have I said that yet? :)).

Yeah, the whole song is really amazing, maybe my favorite by them. I really hope they play it at PP along with Second Life Syndrome and Dance With The Shadow. :worship:

-- You can see if the band really can 'bring it' live -- these days, MANY bands, pop bands especially, just can't do it.

-- With some bands, including many bands in the progressive genre (whether they are prog-metal like Dream Theater, prog-death like Opeth, or prog-rock like Spock's Beard or Porcupine Tree or Riverside), the music itself is a joy to behold. No matter what else is happening on stage (or not), watching it being created in front of you and an appreciative audience is a privilege.

-- You can support the band by your mere presence. Buying the CD is great, but being there for their show shows your support even more.

-- You can buy merch directly from the band. 'Nuff said.

+1000000

I would love to see Ulver and based on their most recent material, it would definitely be the anti crazy stage show, mosh pit etc but like when I saw antimatter doing acoustic set, it was wonderful none the less

+1000000

I would love to see Ulver and based on their most recent material, it would definitely be the anti crazy stage show, mosh pit etc but like when I saw antimatter doing acoustic set, it was wonderful none the less

You've seen Antimatter? I'd LOVE to see them...

yeah, I'm with you guys as well.. A good show doesn't necessaraly mean jumping around on stage...

I do wish Opeth would bring more old pre-still life tracks into their live set and that doesn't count demon of the fall.

Did you go to their last tour? They were doing Night and the Silent Water, Under the Weeping Moon and The Amen Corner. Unfortuantely that's the only tour in awhile they've touched on Orchid or Morningrise, but on the couple tours before that I've seen them do When and April Ethereal too.

Personally I keep hoping they'll put songs like Godhead's Lament, Serenity Painted Death, and Reverie/Harlequin Forest into the set :kickass:

To the people that think it would be better to just stay at home listening to the cd if a band isn't acting like a bunch of clowns on stage, you won't get it even if I described the experience further.
I think you have gotten the wrong impression. I don't need a band to "act like a bunch of clowns" to be entertained. No one said that anyone had to "jump around," do back flips or cartwheels, twirl and throw their drums sticks, or do any other specific action that has been stated or implied in this thread.

But live music, IMO, should show the life of the band. I understand that there are similar elements in some cases, but it's not a classical orchestra ... it's a metal band! If I was going to see an orchestra or an acoustic set by someone, I would expect too much in the stage presence category. But when I go to a metal show, or even a rock show, I want to be entertained by a live performance, which, to me, means more than just standing or sitting on the stage playing some songs.

If I pay to see a band live, I'm coming in hopes of more than just music. I want to see something from the band themselves. Yes, they are up there playing, and live sound is different from the sound you get from your stereo at home, but when I pay to see something "live," I don't feel I'm just paying for the music, I'm paying for the show. You don't need to be Cirque du Soleil, but you should do something more than stand there.

Regardless of the comments on this thread about that not being important, it will still be a major factor for me when seeing any live metal or rock show. I still plan to check out Riverside's live show next year, but unless I find that I am totally blown away by their musicianship on the albums between now and then (which sounds like it could be possible), if their stage presence (or lack there of) bores me, I'll probably listen to a few songs and that go grab dinner.

I checked out some RIVERSIDE stuff. Actually, a lot of it and I love the mellow heaviness. I know it's an oxymoron, but...PINK FLOYD did this oh so well. I don't know how to put it into words, but RIVERSIDE and PINK FLOYD can make something that seems so atmospheric and mellow sound like a safe hitting the ground. And sometimes that comes across to me as "heavier" than the heaviest metal of any genre. I guess that's the best way for me to describe it. It's hard to convey in words a feeling music gives you sometimes.

I checked out some RIVERSIDE stuff. Actually, a lot of it and I love the mellow heaviness. I know it's an oxymoron, but...PINK FLOYD did this oh so well. I don't know how to put it into words, but RIVERSIDE and PINK FLOYD can make something that seems so atmospheric and mellow sound like a safe hitting the ground. And sometimes that comes across to me as "heavier" than the heaviest metal of any genre. I guess that's the best way for me to describe it. It's hard to convey in words a feeling music gives you sometimes.

I think I know what you are trying to say, and I totally agree. As far as I'm concerned, "heavy" isn't a sound, it's a feeling. You're not playing heavy music just by kicking on a distortion pedal, it's all about the resulting feeling. An example which I usually use for this argument: Black Sabbath. By today's standards they are not "heavy" in the sense of their sound, but the feeling they convey is undeniably heavy. I was drawing a blank here for other words to use than sound that would work better, so I hope my post makes sense :heh:

I'm surprised no one mentioned Arena. First band I thought of when listening to Riverside. Another Pink Floyd-influced band. If you like Riverside, you should definitely check them out.