Riverside = Pink Floyd

Thanks for THAT LaserCD!!! Wow - what a great song.
I'm really getting excited about this band

When I saw them at NEARfest, they were completely immersed in their music (As was I in the crowd). They were certainly not statues, but stage presence was not high on their agenda. They delivered some very passionate playing, combined with beautiful delivery. I cannot speak highly enough of their set. I think they fit in at PP great (they were certainly too heavy for NEARfest).

and that's just fine for me!

Please don't think I am off on some pompous rant here... but if a band is just playing straight ahead metal (which I DO enjoy) and not dazzling us with proficient instrumentation then mix it up a bit with some craziness (ie; Threshold's performance)

...but if what you do requires some concentration - then by all means concentrate! It's all about the music at that point anyway, and less about stage presence... yet, as a result I AM entertained

I like it either way (speaking about metal here folks!) - which is why PP is a great setting for both tastes.

Martin

Riverside is a perfect blend of Pink Floyd, Opeth, Anathema and Porcupine Tree imo.

However, Riverside is still millions of light years ahead of all of these bands. They're the best band in the entire universe, and I can't wait to see them at ProgPower. Yes, I'll be by the rail, center-stage.

They rule the progressive scene, period.

And yes, I'm more of a Riverside fanboy than John and Greg w/ Pagan's Mind.

Fanboy! =P

Well, it's all a matter of our personal tastes.. I find Pink Floyd, Anathema and Porcupine Tree to be way more intersting than Riverside..

Regardless, Riverside is going to kick as at PP! :headbang:

Can someone who has seen them before please give us a glimpse of what we're going to see? Not much action, right? I can't imagine that we're going to see a lot of stage presence up there (i.e. movement). Although I have been wanting to see them since the first album came out, I didn't expect it to happen at PP. I am hoping that there is a signing session for the big power metal headliner during the same time so I don't have to hear all the "power" people whining about how boring Riverside is. More room for us proggers...:)

I actually saw them live before I was familiar with any of their studio material, and immediately got all their cds. It's not a very energetic live show at all, but a very intense and absorbing one.

Personally, I'd take Riverside over Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree, Anathema and so on. Admittedly, they didn't originate the style, but I still find them to be notably more interesting. I enjoy Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree (mainly In Absentia) and what little I've heard of Anathema but I don't listen to any of them nearly as often as Riverside. I could care less who originated the style, I'm going to listen to the band I most enjoy, derivative or otherwise.

As far as a first CD to get goes, I'd stick with Out of Myself (although Rapid Eye Movement is probably my favorite at the moment). Then I'd probably check out Rapid Eye Movement*, Voices In My Head and Second Life Syndrome, in that order. :headbang:

*If you get Rapid Eye Movement, get the special edition, the title track alone is worth it.

I'm just glad that a band like Riverside has bursted the thinking man's rock bubble at PP. Now all we need is some Anathema, Porcupine Tree or Blackfield, maybe some Chromakey, Enchant, Green Carnation or some Rishloo.

riverside is riverside, they are not pink floyd, opeth, or jethro tull.

sheesh

Afraid that one is out the window... as much as I would love to have seen it (both of their dvds are cool... especially "Live under a Dam")

I did catch them on the US tour and it was great seeing them. A shame at what has happened. The show I went to was during a horrible snowstorm and only about 15 people were there. Had it not been down the street from my boyfriend's apartment in Albany, I probably wouldn't have made it out for the show as I really could barely see 10 feet in front of me. Sad to know that the $60 I spent at their merch table was probably never seen by the band. It'd be great if Glenn could one day get them to play PP just to show not all promoters are worthless and there is an audience in the US.

I'm just glad that a band like Riverside has bursted the thinking man's rock bubble at PP. Now all we need is some Anathema, Porcupine Tree or Blackfield, maybe some Chromakey, Enchant, Green Carnation or some Rishloo.

a GC reunion would be awesome for sure. Anathema I would love, and seeing Blackfield again would be way cool. Looking forward to the Blackfield DVD coming out in a couple weeks :) (if you get it, be sure to look for me on it :heh:)

I did catch them on the US tour and it was great seeing them. A shame at what has happened. The show I went to was during a horrible snowstorm and only about 15 people were there. Had it not been down the street from my boyfriend's apartment in Albany, I probably wouldn't have made it out for the show as I really could barely see 10 feet in front of me. Sad to know that the $60 I spent at their merch table was probably never seen by the band. It'd be great if Glenn could one day get them to play PP just to show not all promoters are worthless and there is an audience in the US.

Similar turnout in western MA. It was an awesome show, even if it was snowing, and there were only 15 of us. Aside from drinking with the band, I was able to take in the set from less than a foot from the band (the "stage" only rose a foot up from the floor too). I cherish the signed cds I had them tag, as well as a sweet 'Acoustic Verses' signed poster.

I hope this is not the case. I was really looking forward to checking out Riverside until I read this. Opeth is IMO absolutely the most boring band I have ever seen live hands-down. (And I've seen them live more than once, unfortunately.) I don't think there is any possible way in the world that any band could be less interesting to my eyes than Opeth.

I love Opeth but I think that they need to play more songs from their pre- Still life era as they are starting to sound too samey the last few cds even though it has gained them so many more fans.

I don't go to see Opeth or Riverside to dance in the aisles. I go to be totally engulfed in the amazing music.

I don't go to see Opeth or Riverside to dance in the aisles. I go to be totally engulfed in the amazing music.

+1

I also note that Mikael has ramped up his audience patter a bit on the last Opeth tour, and has more crowd interaction.

Edguy or Brainstorm they aren't -- and thank Ghu for that! -- but when I'm watching Opeth, I'm watching great music being perforned, not a circus onstage. (and also watching out for mosh-pits nearby :err: )

Meanwhile...I'm really looking forward to Riverside's set. Prior to this, how often have they played the US?

I don't really understand the point of going to a concert for musical precision vs. a stage show, whats the difference of hearing it on CD? It would most likely be better if not 100%...

Cool !! So they are prog rock ? I have been waiting for another Sieges Even (German prog rock band) to slap me in the face. I will haved to check them out.

Bryant

I've been listening to Riverside for the past week along with the other PPIX bands and I have to say, Riverside sounds like a mix of Pink Floyd and a little bit of Jethro Tull thrown in too. The heavy guitars every once in a while set it off.

As I'm typing this, the title track to Second Life Syndrome is playing and I can't help but be amazed as how much it has that "Shine on You Crazy Diamond" feel to it.

They're not the heaviest thing around but that doesn't make them any less enjoyable to listen to.

Good stuff.

Has anyone else equated Riverside to Pink Floyd?

Later,
Dave

I don't really understand the point of going to a concert for musical precision vs. a stage show....

-- You can see if the band really can 'bring it' live -- these days, MANY bands, pop bands especially, just can't do it.

-- With some bands, including many bands in the progressive genre (whether they are prog-metal like Dream Theater, prog-death like Opeth, or prog-rock like Spock's Beard or Porcupine Tree or Riverside), the music itself is a joy to behold. No matter what else is happening on stage (or not), watching it being created in front of you and an appreciative audience is a privilege.

-- You can support the band by your mere presence. Buying the CD is great, but being there for their show shows your support even more.

-- You can buy merch directly from the band. 'Nuff said.

-- You can see if the band really can 'bring it' live -- these days, MANY bands, pop bands especially, just can't do it.

-- With some bands, including many bands in the progressive genre (whether they are prog-metal like Dream Theater, prog-death like Opeth, or prog-rock like Spock's Beard or Porcupine Tree or Riverside), the music itself is a joy to behold. No matter what else is happening on stage (or not), watching it being created in front of you and an appreciative audience is a privilege.

-- You can support the band by your mere presence. Buying the CD is great, but being there for their show shows your support even more.

-- You can buy merch directly from the band. 'Nuff said.

I'd rather see a band present themselves greatly to entertain, I mean every band at PPUSA was great, Sonata was lame stage wise. If I didn't love their material I easily would've been turned off.

Dream theatre, haha. One of the most boring bands ive seen. I havent seen Opeth though :p

Well last 2 points are irrelevant to mine, I like going to shows and I go to any show I can and I buy merch at every concert i go to, if prices are fair :)

Just some points I'd like to make...

a) When Mariusz is singing live, you can *really* feel everything that he is singing...He's a very honest vocalist i feel above anything else...I'd say starting with Out of Myself is best. It is a Concept Trilogy after all...plus the first track "The Same River" I believe is a track that really captures the essence of Riverside...

b) I think it'd probably be best to describe their live show like they did their latest album as an "oneiric experience" Even though they might not be as much of a party of whateve as Pagan's mind was or something...I think they're aiming for something different. And will hopefully pull it off flawlessly...

c) They have, and will most likely play material with a variety of moods/atmospheres etc, i doubt it will be boring.