Roland JV 2080 synth module

Ericlingus

Prettiest Hair Around
Oct 31, 2006
Does anyone here have one of these? I know some metal bands have used them in the past like emperor. I was thinking about buying a hardware synth that has a lot of bread and butter sounds that could also do industrial. They are on ebay for 300 bucks or 500 bucks with the expansion cards.

im just not sure about the expansion boards though. The 5050 can only take two of the SRX expansion boards. Is it worth it to get the 5080 for more money?

I've been perfectly happy with the XV-5050 (with 2 cards installed). Haven't had a need for the sampler part of 5080 (which I understood is read only??) and the editing is ok even with the smaller display once you get to know it. I wouldn't want to start from scratch without the editor software, but as there are so many useable sounds right out of the box, I usually manage just by tweaking the presets. Or I try some other synth, or layer or whatever.

Some good reading on the subject here:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/elec...2-one-roland-xv-series-synths-best-value.html
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/elec...t-notice-difference-between-jd990-jv1080.html
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/elec...-help-first-synth-roland-super-jv-1080-a.html

No wonder the JD-800 and XV-5050 sound so good compared to the other "lesser" modules and keys.. (disregarding JD-990 and XV-5080)

Tried the Fantom XR, sounded ok, but veiled and lacked a bit of that elusive presence.

im just not sure about the expansion boards though. The 5050 can only take two of the SRX expansion boards. Is it worth it to get the 5080 for more money?

I guess that depends but fwiw, there is way more on the srx then the sr-jv cards. For example, srx orchestral expansion is the equivalent to orch 1, 2 and some of the voices card.

would you buy the 5050 if you were me and was looking for a hardware synth that had good bread and butter sounds along with the ability to do some industrial/trance? I don't have much money to spend. No more than 400-500 dollars.

Yes. Unless I stumbled on a very good priced 5080. I've seen 5050's go for 2-300€ around here.

Good point on the SRX cards, JonWormood, forgot to mention that.

This thread has once again reminded me to do something about mine. It's probably been tossed around too many times, half the sounds are garbled and distorted, which according to Roland service, points to a motherboard failure / loose components / something else which costs too much to fix. Naturally, once I start looking for something, I can't for the life of me find a single one and when I don't need it, at least 3 pop up.. :erk:

man I just might get one. I could use another hardware synth. The 5050 seems nice with an expansion. Right now I have a Triton Le which is cool for trance/dance and stuff like that but not for any bread and butter sounds. Also there is something fucked up with it and some of the sounds have what sounds like audio clipping on them. I don't understand what is wrong with it. Luckily most of the sounds I like to use on it are okay. But the piano and drums especially are not useable because of it. Maybe I can see if I can get it fixed someday.

I have one. I'll never sell it. Preset sounds are pretty good, I have a few Xpansions and I use it a lot! I also use Korg synths, they sound completely different. Roland has the typical instrument sounds, Korg has the warm pads and strings 'n stuff. I remember the original prices of the JV2080, it's amazing they sell so cheap nowadays.

yay! I just picked up a XV5050 for 220 after shipping on ebay! Which expansion board should I get first?

yay! I just picked up a XV5050 for 220 after shipping on ebay! Which expansion board should I get first?

Good price. What sounds do you think you'll need? Go through the on-board presets and then think what do you want more of / better. For metal stuff, I think going the way I did would be "best", ie. Ultimate Keys and Complete orchestra. Symphonique Strings would be a good candidate I suspect, although sometimes the more "synthetic" strings work better in a busy metal mix. The World Collection sounds interesting ...

http://www.roland.com/synth/srx.html

Good price. What sounds do you think you'll need? Go through the on-board presets and then think what do you want more of / better. For metal stuff, I think going the way I did would be "best", ie. Ultimate Keys and Complete orchestra. Symphonique Strings would be a good candidate I suspect, although sometimes the more "synthetic" strings work better in a busy metal mix. The World Collection sounds interesting ...

http://www.roland.com/synth/srx.html

I've been trying to find a good "synthetic" string patch. Any suggestions?

I can't decide over complete orchestra and the dance one. It's a tough call. Both I'll need but I don't know which one will be more useful at first. I have a triton LE which has good dance sounds but is lacking in the orchestral department so maybe I'll go with that. The dance board is cheaper on ebay though. I wish my triton LE was working 100%. A bunch of the sounds have this horrible clipping sound on them. Luckily a lot of the electronic sounds that I use it either doesn't have or it isn't really noticeable. I called one place and It'll be 120 bucks just for him to look at it.