role call for Therion in Detroit - 10/1

The ballad was probably "Siren of the Woods." On Therion's forum (at their site), Christofer mentioned they were adding it to their set on their east coast "return dates" due to fan requests. Very cool!

I'll be in New York City this weekend for Dead Can Dance at Radio City Music Hall (!), and I thought briefly about, ahem, "missing a flight" if one of Therion's shows was near NY, but alas, it didn't quite work out.

That ballad WAS Siren of the Woods. Right before they started playing it, Christoffer said "This next song is a ballad...it's called The Siren of the Woods!" *crowd goes wild*

Anyways. That Symphony X show you guys are talking about at Harpos. I was there also, and it was so terrible. 2 million opening bands that without fail sucked so hard I felt like killing myself. Then I KNOW SymX didn't get to play the whole set they wanted simply because of so few people there. That is the deadest/emptiest show I've ever seen at Harpos, even though Seven Witches & Symphony X were both good performers. Thankfully their winter '03 show at the Shelter w/ Devin Townsend was a blast from start to finish.

By the way, anybody going to Kayo Dot at Paychecks tomorrow? I'm planning on it.

TychoCelchu said:
That ballad WAS Siren of the Woods. Right before they started playing it, Christoffer said "This next song is a ballad...it's called The Siren of the Woods!" *crowd goes wild*

Thanks! I really enjoyed that one.

Anyways. That Symphony X show you guys are talking about at Harpos. I was there also, and it was so terrible. 2 million opening bands that without fail sucked so hard I felt like killing myself. Then I KNOW SymX didn't get to play the whole set they wanted simply because of so few people there. That is the deadest/emptiest show I've ever seen at Harpos, even though Seven Witches & Symphony X were both good performers. Thankfully their winter '03 show at the Shelter w/ Devin Townsend was a blast from start to finish.

Lol! :) Those bands were awful. On the upside, SX wandered around before their set and was real friendly to everyone. The Shelter show was definitely better. They still kind of got screwed for time though, as did the other bands. They had to start the show earlier than what was advertized and everyone had to cut their set. After two experiences like that I just hope SX will come back!

By the way, anybody going to Kayo Dot at Paychecks tomorrow? I'm planning on it.

Who's that?

I hit the Poughkeepsie show this past Wednesday. Only like 100 people there. Was majorly fun because I wasn't as tired compared to PP. Hung out afterwards and chatted with one of the choir guys for a good 30 minutes (the one who wears the leather suit). Horrible with names though so I can't think of it atm. Got some really nice pictures this time.

TychoCelchu said:

Sorry dude, I was at Paychecks when you were posting that.. I was there for Fillmore Slim. Who is Kayo Dot? I'm surprsed you didn't head out to Flint for the Halloween show :headbang: I was going to, then realized that I didn't have the $$ ... Next time I'm in D-town - we'll go to a show and rock out! :kickass:

okay, okay, I'll quit being an ass... :) Maudlin of the Well was a band that combined elements of prog, doom, death, goth, jazz, and just plain weirdness. In fact, they're one of the weirdest bands I've ever liked. ;) I haven't heard Kayo Dot yet, but it's masterminded by the same guy, Greg Massi, and I'm told it's in a similar vein.

booB said:
okay, okay, I'll quit being an ass... :) Maudlin of the Well was a band that combined elements of prog, doom, death, goth, jazz, and just plain weirdness. In fact, they're one of the weirdest bands I've ever liked. ;) I haven't heard Kayo Dot yet, but it's masterminded by the same guy, Greg Massi, and I'm told it's in a similar vein.

Yep - actually, I believe it was just a name change from Maudlin of the Well to Kayo Dot. I don't believe it's a wholly separate musical project that Greg Massi started.

www.kayodot.net

http://www.myspace.com/kayodot (better link for samples, etc.)

Am I the last to know of this group?

likely not. ;)

however, I didn't know they were touring... I missed 'em last time too. dammit.

I hadn't heard of them either, so maybe we're the last two. :) And when was Helloween in Flint? I totally missed that - not the biggest fan, but Flint isn't that far from me at all.

Kyra said:
I hadn't heard of them either, so maybe we're the last two. :) And when was Helloween in Flint? I totally missed that - not the biggest fan, but Flint isn't that far from me at all.

Not Helloween... Halloween. A Detroit local power metal act..

...yeah, I know :zzz: