role call for Therion in Detroit - 10/1

aw it's too bad, but it's sometimes surprising when more than one good show appears in Michigan on the same night. I had to choose between Kayo Dot and Pat Metheny Group; I chose Kayo Dot for cheap-ness and I think they need the support. They were definitely very harsh on the ears and it was really funny to see half the bar get up and flee the scene when they started playing! I spoke a bit to DJ (the guy who does synth FX for the band) and he said that only 2 of the Kayo Dotters are from Maudlin; the rest are new. I found out later that Porcupine Tree played the Magic Stick that night and wondered who I would have really rather seen; but the past is past. I missed Meshuggah/The Haunted tonight, but that's not so bad because I'll be out with bells on in 2 weeks for the almighty Nevermore.

Flint...not a huge fan of that city, it's kind of scary really. Of course I was only there once, an old band I was in played a show with the Black Dahlia Murder at the Flint Local way back when BDM was still playing mosh breakdowns in their songs. I got a parking ticket. Not so fun. I'd go out there for attractive shows though.