Roll Call - Whom here is from IL ?

I seriously have not heard of any of those Chicago area bands.
Are these metal bands, or any band with a female singer?
Just curious.

Metal bands! Here are some links and pictures.. (Yeah, I was bored. >_>)

damenation2011smallpost.jpg

Avariel
avariel.jpg

Deadmanswake
1303173157_img0.jpg

The Unvoiced
TheUnvoicedBandPhoto.jpg

Losing Scarlet
66471_160769853947689_100000440262767_417224_923902_n-300x200.jpg

Angelical Tears
angelicaltears.jpg

Shield of Wings
58013647.jpg

A Sound of Thunder
997-4.jpeg

Solarsphere

Lindz Riot of Mary and the Black Lamb
10825_202341.jpg

I dont like when people have to advertise the fact they have female singers. I think bands should get the attention they deserve on merit and not the fact they are trying to sell a "hot girl" in thier band. This is why I like bands like Crystal Viper. You dont see them pushing the fact that they have a female singer. When people push the fact it makes the other members of the band seem less important.

I dont like when people have to advertise the fact they have female singers. I think bands should get the attention they deserve on merit and not the fact they are trying to sell a "hot girl" in thier band. This is why I like bands like Crystal Viper. You dont see them pushing the fact that they have a female singer. When people push the fact it makes the other members of the band seem less important.

I actually agree with you, but not all of these bands do the whole, "hot chick" theme. Some of them are just, "We're a band, and our singer happens to be a girl". These festivals don't generally sell sex; just music with a common theme of singing chicks. Luckily, most of them sing differently! You've got your obligatory opera vocals, your rock vocals, your gritty vocals, ect.

@ Duchess - Lots of great links there. Thanks ! I am going to check them out. I totally dig chick front metal.

As far as the advertising Hot Chick front persons, It's still a selling point. It's advertising. I dont see any way around it, especially if the front person is an attractive female.

There's a huge list of bands, movies, music videos, that were pushed by the fact there was a hot chick in the video or movie.
( Whitesnake, Warrant, Aerosmith, etc. ). That "hot chick" sold the product to millions.

It's just the nature of our advertising culture. I agree, I dont like gross exploitation, but advertising and pushing your female vocalist to the front is just something that will continue to happen. I know we can all agree to that.

LOL... Heck, My band does that to me ! Pushes me to the front that is. I guess I'm the hot chick.

I am a pro photographer by trade. I shoot lots of bands and I always check with them about the "hot chick" in the for-front. Surprisingly, every band I've shot says they want their female the focus of the images. They understand it's selling point. I usually end up shooting both ways. Lady as the focus, lady off to the side.

My old band used to do that, but the guys I'm with now (at least my guitarist) want it to feel more like I'm an equal member instead of a big focal point.

Personally, I think he's just jealous of my perky tats... :D

LOL... in Veronica's defense, she's really nice, and she uses gritty female vocals. She hugged me, when I first met her!

It was an AWESOME hug... >_>

Chicago native (Lane Tech HS, here), born and raised...now live in the NW 'burbs of Atlanta

number of friends in bands up that way - Aeth3r, Rock U, VVX among others...

to show *MY* age - used to hang at the Thirsty Whale when Enuff Z'nuff used to play there all the time
grew up on punk/metal/hair
knew The Alley when you could only enter THRU the alley
and i remember when "night games at Wrigley" were protested

as for food...Orange Garden at Irving/Lincoln/Damen for some tasty Chinese (and a 1920s feel to the restaurant) :)

Chicago native (Lane Tech HS, here), born and raised...now live in the NW 'burbs of Atlanta

number of friends in bands up that way - Aeth3r, Rock U, VVX among others...

to show *MY* age - used to hang at the Thirsty Whale when Enuff Z'nuff used to play there all the time
grew up on punk/metal/hair
knew The Alley when you could only enter THRU the alley
and i remember when "night games at Wrigley" were protested

as for food...Orange Garden at Irving/Lincoln/Damen for some tasty Chinese (and a 1920s feel to the restaurant) :)

What years did you go to the Whale?
I was there various times between 90 and 93.

Funny you mention "showing your age" in relation to all things Chicago.

At band practice this weekend, we were talking about all of our first exposure to Savatage. Most first heard them when MTV played "Edge of Thorns" For me, it was hearing "Hard For Love" on WVVX!

LOL... in Veronica's defense, she's really nice, and she uses gritty female vocals. She hugged me, when I first met her!

It was an AWESOME hug... >_>

Yeah, I really like most of what I have heard of Benedictum.
You can not deny though that they use all of her "assets" to help promote the band though....

Yeah, I really like most of what I have heard of Benedictum.
You can not deny though that they use all of her "assets" to help promote the band though....

No, I can't..

..but I can't deny that I'm not jealous, either. XD Seriously, that woman is MASSIVE. She's got a real Wonder Woman physique, and I'm like, a hobbit compared to her!

What years did you go to the Whale?
I was there various times between 90 and 93.

Funny you mention "showing your age" in relation to all things Chicago.

At band practice this weekend, we were talking about all of our first exposure to Savatage. Most first heard them when MTV played "Edge of Thorns" For me, it was hearing "Hard For Love" on WVVX!

i was there 89-92 (when i moved to GA the first time)...chances are we would have seen each other/literally run into each other :)

oh man...WVVX...total flashback :)
::grabs her walker and heads out::
speaking of Savatage...
my friend Agatha and i actually snuck into a Savatage show when we were 15/16 years old...sigh...those were the days

i was there 89-92 (when i moved to GA the first time)...chances are we would have seen each other/literally run into each other :)

oh man...WVVX...total flashback :)
::grabs her walker and heads out::
speaking of Savatage...
my friend Agatha and i actually snuck into a Savatage show when we were 15/16 years old...sigh...those were the days

Where was the Savatage show?