rolling movie thread

Yesterday:

Million Dollar Baby: impressive cast doing an impressive job. The story is fairly generic but enjoyable. Liked a lot. After Mystic River and this one I am beginngin to think that Eastwood is one of the best director of actors out there, even though he might not have the best visual or make the best directorial choices.

Maria Full of Grace: Catalina Sandino Moreno deserves her Oscar nomination. The rest of the movie is good but nothing spectacular

Takeshi Kitano's Zatoichi: Expected better after having seem many of the 60's and 70's Zatoichi. Was a bit too messy for my taste.

Well it depends if you like to see the same story over and over again. Some were very good, some pretty bad. The only problem is that I really can't tell which is which. They were playing every sunday evening on IFC so all they said was it was the Blind Swordsman from 1972 etc..

I finally saw The Motorcycle Diaries last night...I kept expecting a little more from it (pissed me off the volume was kinda low, so i didn't catch all the nuances of the argentinian dialog, fuck you subtitles), but towards the end of the movie there were some great moments at the leper colony, great character development of Ernesto Guevara, compliments perhaps to a good adaptation of the Che's diary? I wonder when it was 1st published and how much intregrity and faithfulness it has to the real experiences of the journey. Regardless a good (a lil short of great) film.

and i came acrosss this today when lookin for dvd info: http://imdb.com/title/tt0318462/board/nest/14681306
priceless

Kurosawa's The Idiot (which netflix sent me accidentally instead of von Trier's The Idiots, not that I minded too much). I read that it would be hard to follow if you're not familiar with the Dostoyevsky novel upon which it's based, but it wasn't too bad besides a few jarring shifts in tone that were obviously a result of important stuff being cut out. I liked it, though, it was a very well done film despite its flaws.

I watched:

The Woodsman, which was difficult and very good.

Santa Sangre, which was awesome, though not quite as weird as I expected.

Ichi the Killer, which had a better story than I expected and just as much mindless violence.

Rashomon, one of the best movies I've ever seen.

Vanity Fair, which I found a lot more entertaing than the overlong book that I had a really hard time finishing.

Anchorman, hilarious at times, obnoxious the rest of the time.

I saw Hide and Seek - it was actually totally awesome! Until... the "surprise twist" which was predictable, tired, and stupid. Basically it's a good movie with a Hollywood ending. Like The Serpent and the Rainbow! But I don't know about its replay value... it was definitely scary the first time.

i want to say about Hide and Seek that I thought it was funny how similar it was to the last movie that starred DeNiro and a Kid (Godsend).

(spoiler)

They parallel in these ways: DeNiro is a doctor. He's the good guy. There's a kid who starts off normal and gets weirder and weirder throughout the movie but the reason is a mystery. Throughout the movie, an outside party is frequently called for advice. Finally it's revealed that DeNiro is secretly the bad guy, and he starts clubbing things with an axe. Oh also in both movies the kid is very good looking.

I finished the first two chapters of Fanny & Alexander last night. It's really, really good and just starting to get really exciting after a bit of a slow start.

I made my wife watch Bad Taste with me last night and she HATED it. Well actually, she did laugh at a couple parts, but overall was a total sourpuss. Lame.

It may not totally hold up perfectly over time, but I loved this movie when I first saw it on video 15 years ago.