rolling movie thread

ok, must see bad taste. pine cone throwing is deep.

watched The Vanishing - the original, not the keiffer sutherland one. i'd seen it before, but jodi hadn't. she'd seen the keiffer one but this one's obviously better. much more small feeling without stupid hollywood ending.

Cabin Fever, which was annoying with its use of profanity (do they seriously think people talk like that?) but was not completely void of interest. i think the very ending was totally the best part.

They, a Wes Craven film that was just- bad. no interesting characters and crappy ending. thoroughly forgettable. hopefully.

In that one scene where Burt lights the fire outside the cabin and shoots that guy, Ben and I counted the number of times the three actors used the word fuck and it was well over 20 for about 6 lines of dialogue. It was essentially every other word in each sentence. I also like the gratuitous slow motion, male fan service after the girl canoes across the lake, what a classic film. PANCAKES!

"zombie lake" last night. the cover is so awesome and i always wanted to rent it from the video store as a kid but was never able to. then it went up for sale for two bucks from the video store (on DVD!!) and i snapped it up.

even considering its translated from french, the dialogue is pretty bad.

i watch the seventh seal last night. this Ingmar Bergman is really onto something. and an amazing look for a film from 1957.

xfer said:
p.s. lars von trier sounds like Grover, if Grover spoke Dutch.

I watched The Element of Crime the other day and von Trier had a small role and I thought that his english was perfect/accentless and nothing struck me as weird about his voice, but then I watched the documentary about him on the same DVD and I totally thought he sounded like grover.

Lars Von Trier and Ingmar Bergman are very similar personality-wise in a lot of ways

I saw Twilight Samurai last night and it was amazing. Even though you know where it's heading, it still surprises and has impact.

iandork, i think it has something to do with the strangled way people speak dutch...he didn't speak english in the five obstructions.

saw House of Flying Daggers last night. some cool visuals, but overall the movie was pretty much a boring waste sprinkled here and there with incredibly creepy chinese cultural things. does the woman ALWAYS need to be saved by the man!!!

I watched The Seventh Seal last night too, along with Last Tango in Paris. I loved The Seventh Seal and plan to watch a lot more Bergman. I liked Last Tango, but I think Bertolucci has done much better.

Other recent viewings:

Code 46. Much better than I though it would be and gorgeous to look at, but not as good as good as it could've been.

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie. It was hilarious and I now need to see as much other Buñuel as I can get ahold of.

Deadwood Season 1 Disc 1. The pilot episode was kind of boring, but after the second one it seemed worth it to introduce the characters and I'm completely hooked.

Finally got round to seeing once were warriors. Some of the music seemed a bit dodgy, but a most worthwhile film.

Saw some other film on wednesday about Casablancan street kids trying to afford a dignified funeral for their recently killed friend, which was really good, but can't remember the name...

in terms of television, I just finished watching my Season 1 DVD of Samurai Jack, and I think it's great. the first episode (completely unfunny) and the last episode (hilarious) are the best.

watched the Neverending Story last night which I thought held up fairly decently despite some silly "special" (as in ED) effects and overacting children. In fact, I found it to be a bit better than I remembered. My wife however, who was seeing it for the first time, thought it sucked. "the book was much better"

uh, i finally saw The Grudge (that was our valentine's day- woot). it was dece, having never seen Ju-On, but i still want to see that. but i don't really like s m gellar. her and julianne moore bug the crap out of me.

I finally saw Lawrence of Arabia and it truly is a remarkable epic. I definitely need to see it on the big screen to fully appreciate it, but it was pretty frickin' sweet regardless.

I've watched tons of stuff recently. Some notable ones:

Taegukgi: The Brotherhood of War. The action sequences were pretty well done, but that's about all that is worthy of any praise. The screenplay was so unbelievably riddled with cliches that it completely ruined any potential emotional power the movie might have otherwise had, and besides the well done action sequences it was pretty technically disappointing as well. Crummy, often ineffective lighting, average shots, etc. It's a shame that this is the only film about the Korean war (to my knowledge), cause it certainly doesn't do the tragic piece of history any kind of justice.

Heat. By far the best 'cops and robbers' flick i've ever seen. I don't know how I missed it until recently.

All About Lily Chou-Chou. Terrible and pointless. I think the people who gave it favorable reviews mistook it's utter lack of emotional depth for intentional and artistic ambiguity or something, but it was ungodly long and almost impossible to endure.

The Celebration (Festen). Totally amazing movie, and it epitomizes using the Dogme 95 restrictions to the film's advantage.

The Battle of Algiers. It was just as good as I expected it would be from all of the praise it's gotten, but I found it far more engrossing than I expected considering I knew pretty much nothing about the situation depicted going in.

Ran. Not as good as some of the other Kurosawa movies I've seen, but still very very good.

Alphaville. Completely awesome. I loved the zany futuristic vision. It made me want to see a lot more Godard.

Morvern Callar. A very pretty movie with an awesome soundtrack that was ultimately crap because there was next to no plot and the characters were so insipid and annoying that just about anyone would dislike them.