Rome: Total War game information for the newbies.

I keep expecting the non-combative portion of the game to be more open ended like Alpha Centauri (damn that game for spoiling me with it's awesomeness).

Ok, say you burn a city to the ground, will the faction who's city it was be pissed and become more aggressive? What about riots? If they happen, do you have to put them down with your army?

Can you get allies to help you with an invasion? Will other factions make alliances between themselves?

I'd read that you could choose to not actually do battles yourself, like if you set your army against another and didn't want to watch or command, the game would just make a victor. How does that work? Army size? Dice roll?

What do you actually do with cities of your own anyway? Just create units? Do you get to build walls? Perhaps build places for entertainment to avoid riots? Trade resouces? What?

You could just point me to a FAQ with that info if you know it. I didn't see this type of stuff in the official FAQ. Maybe I missed it though.

1. Well of course they would be pissed :p
And riots will happen if you can't keep the people under control.
2. Yes and yes.
3. well they take into account how many men and how good they are but if you did this in Medieval total war then you would suffer more casualties tho.
4. Yes, train units, get income from taxes and trade. And yes you will have to build buildings to keep the people under control and walls for defence and you will be able to zoom in on your city and see people on the streets and fights at the colosseum(according to some sources which is reliable). According to some sources if you build a wall and it is not finished when a army attacks it you will see a half-built wall on the battlefield.
5. There is no good FAQ that I know of I'm afraid :(
And don't go to the offical forum, they are a bunch of whiny little assholes.
Go here http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index.php?showforum=3 and use the search button.

More questions!

1) If you cannot build cities, and yet you can burn them down, can you build them back?

2) How do allied attacks work on the world map?

3) I've heard too many conflicting things. Will there be continuous play or not? Does the game make you stop playing when you meet the victory conditions or get to a certain date or can you keep playing like in Alpha Centauri?

4) Cities, again if you can't build them, do all cities start in somebodies possession?

Thanatopsis123 said:
More questions!

1) If you cannot build cities, and yet you can burn them down, can you build them back?

2) How do allied attacks work on the world map?

3) I've heard too many conflicting things. Will there be continuous play or not? Does the game make you stop playing when you meet the victory conditions or get to a certain date or can you keep playing like in Alpha Centauri?

4) Cities, again if you can't build them, do all cities start in somebodies possession?
1. We don't know yet, I guess we will see next week :tickled:
2. Well I guess you asked them and then they send an army and then attack when you do. The system they used in Medieval total war was very random but fun when it happend but they said that it better now.
3. You will be able to to keep playing after the deadline but you will not get any points for.
4. All factions have 3-4 provinces some even have 6-9 provinces and every provinces have 1 city in it.

I played the demo just now. Pretty cool lookin game at 1280x1024x32. I won the battle on easy mode 1466 kills to 160 (go me). I REALLY suck at M:TW though. I've never won a game on that one. If I don't get wiped out, the game time ends long before I can finish conquering ALL provinces... :(

I have never "won" the campaign either on MTW.
I'm a defensive player when it comes to empire building.
I only go to war if I know that I can hit them hard without them moving into my lands.