Round 1: Less favorite Opeth album

Round 1: Less favorite Opeth album

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What's wrong with Delieverance? I thought it was an excellent, solid album. Only thing that I would say is wrong with it is the lack of songs (5 tracks isn't much for an opeth cd).

This is a tough one not becuase of content but due to personal "listening enjoyment". In a strictly musical sense, Deliverance is my least favorite. BUT the poor quality recordings of the first two albums, and my dislike of Mikes mid-range screams make those a far less "enjoyable" listen. Those first two are frustrating. So many neat ideas and riffs, but so little cohesion and, IMHO, sub-par vocals (technically decent, but sound like shit) really kill it for me.
Im still going to pick Deliverance, and although i think its a good, solid album with great individual segments, i think it falls particularly short of the three classics preceding it.

It's unfortunate that Orchid is losing. I voted Still Life. Nothing about that album intrigues me. The only songs I can tolerate off of there are Moonlapse Vertigo, and SPD. The rest is boring. I could go into much greater detail about why I don't like the album, but meh, I have a lot to say about it.

I personally adore orchid and Morningrise. If you look at opeth tabs, youll see there is a clear different between Orchid/Morningrise/MAYH and Still Life/Blackwater Park/Deliverance and I personally like the old style better.

Black Rose Immortal said:
I personally adore orchid and Morningrise. If you look at opeth tabs, youll see there is a clear different between Orchid/Morningrise/MAYH and Still Life/Blackwater Park/Deliverance and I personally like the old style better.
The riffing is very different yes. I too love the riffing style from the first two albums.

I preffer the MAYH/Still Life era of riffing/composition. It shows a marked maturity over the debut and the weaker follow-up (Morningrise). Orchid/Morningrise sounds like it was just a matter of locking yourself away for a while with a guitar, write some simple melody, record it, then try to find some counter-melody to play over it. Repeat this process until you have an album's worth of riffs and then arrange them in the most cohesive way possible.

MAYH and Still life, being concepts, started out with focus on the whole, and through that you'll find the structure is more complete.

Orchid. Reason? I have a 6 disk CD changer in my car and 7 Opeth CD's. Had to make a call.