Royer Labs 121 vs 101

which one do you prefer : RL 121 or 101 ?

Votes: 5 62.5%

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • sm 57 :-)

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

dcb

nerd
Dec 7, 2008
which one do you prefer?

tracked by barressi btw. a little dull for my taste. but : i do prefer
the 121 slightly, its a little more detailed, a little more high end.
but i wanna save some money, haha, so you guys tell me you like the 101 better, pleeease! ;-)

Close Miced :
121 :
http://www.royerlabs.com/audio/R121-R101/1R-121Closerthm.wav

101 :
http://www.royerlabs.com/audio/R121-R101/1R101CloseRthm.wav

6 INCHES AWAY :

121 :
http://www.royerlabs.com/audio/R121-R101/R121-R101/2R-1216inch.wav

101 :
http://www.royerlabs.com/audio/R121-R101/2R-1016inch.wav

I would go with the 121 personally; seems to be a very diverse microphone from what I've seen other people doing with them. Apparently captures low-end very effectively, would be a useful blend with, say a 57 :D

On the 6" away tracks, the 101 sounds a bit dull, but with a nice midrange. The 121 sounds like it captures more high end, but it's also a bit scooped sounding. With the close miced tracks, I prefer the 101. Judging from these files, the 121 seems to exhibit a much greater proximity effect than the 101. Overall though, it's a toss up between the two 6" tracks. Depending on the context either mic could work just fine. If I had to make a choice though, I'd go with the 101 just because I really hate the way that 121 sounds up close.

On the 6" away tracks, the 101 sounds a bit dull, but with a nice midrange. The 121 sounds like it captures more high end, but it's also a bit scooped sounding. With the close miced tracks, I prefer the 101. Judging from these files, the 121 seems to exhibit a much greater proximity effect than the 101. Overall though, it's a toss up between the two 6" tracks. Depending on the context either mic could work just fine. If I had to make a choice though, I'd go with the 101 just because I really hate the way that 121 sounds up close.

Ribbons are super sensitive to proximity effect. Its kind of the point of using one a lot of times. I like both. Not on monitors at the moment though. If you're interested in a mic for guitars look at the shure ksm ribbons. The red and black one is supposed to be amazing. I'd love one.

i know the R121 very well and one amazing thing I an say about it is, that it takes EQ unlike ANY OTHER mic I've EVER tried. No matter what you do it STILL fucking sounds good. Very easy to rid of the bad bits and 99% of the good bits stay unlike a 57 which can get all fucked.

Love the 121. Wish we still had it.... got my eyes on a pair of 101's, though!!!

I've gotten some custom ribbons made which resemble the 121. I love them to bits, they take EQ amazingly well as CJ said. I was using one on vocals for a while, they're a little dull but a good high shelf just made things lovely.

yeah, i have worked with ribbons in the past, and everyone says they take eq very well. thats cool, cause im mostly an "eq" guy, more than moving mics around for ages.

anyone every blew a 121 ?

Had a quick listen at home on my AKG 240s and the 121 was more pleasing to my ears, with smoother mids. More highs yes, but most definitely nothing grating going on there. The 101 on the other hand had a bit of nasally up-front quality to the upper mids, maybe slightly more aggressive, but I fear that might overpower the whole sound, especially when stacked. Also on the 6" files it was more woolly on the low mids than the 121. I would love to hear both of these mics coupled with a 57 for the bite (as seems to be the norm).

It's always surprising to hear ribbons at first, when you're so adjusted to hearing condensers and dynamics for the most part.

yeah, i have worked with ribbons in the past, and everyone says they take eq very well. thats cool, cause im mostly an "eq" guy, more than moving mics around for ages.

anyone every blew a 121 ?

I think they have a lifetime warranty policy.

I prefered the 121 but both sound good.