Rumors About Opeth's Turn To Black Metal Roots...

Oct 26, 2002
RainbowLand
www.youtube.com
...I've heard a couple of people on this board (well, not actually heard, but saw, since there's no audio on this message board...BUT I DIGRESS!) that Opeth, after making the mellow, clean vocaled DAMNATION, will make a new album with Black Metal influences?

This is VERY interesting, but I don't know if it's true or just a rumor. I heard they would take a long break after the DAMNATION CD and tour.

It would be cool though...

yea, mike has to bring back the black metal type vox one last time , before he cant any longer....he still does advent good live so....

Personally I don't think that Mike thinks "hrrm.. I want to make something blacky/deathy"

it's probably all just about making music and whatever it turns out to be.. that's what it is..

Opeth never have been easy to label.. personally I don't even really try...

in that that is interesting. I personally do not know where Opeth could really go after what they've done so far, but then again, I probably would have said that between previous albums anyways, so I'm just going to sit back and trust that Opeth will release another masterpiece within the next year or two, but I hope that they don't lose their identity, which I don't think would happen.

That idea really excited me when I first heard it actually. Of course, them being Opeth and their sound having been shaped into what it is, you can rest assured that the record won't be your standard tremeloed out, corpse paint fest.

It's really interesting to imagine Opeth with some darker drive. I'm really anticipating this one. Let's hope they bring back the dual melodies too.

They could take the Emperor's Throne :p
No seriously , it's WHoooooohoooooooo

The first 2 albums had a slight hint of Black Metal in them, as far as some of the guitar melodies, drum fills etc. etc. are concerned. I think this is what Mikael is mainly reffering to when he says they're going to make something black metall-ish. I really don't see Opeth going all out with gr1mness.

Moonlapse said:
The first 2 albums had a slight hint of Black Metal in them, as far as some of the guitar melodies, drum fills etc. etc. are concerned. I think this is what Mikael is mainly reffering to when he says they're going to make something black metall-ish. I really don't see Opeth going all out with gr1mness.

I wasn't aware there was such a thing as a black metal drum fill. :err: