Runners here?

Plendakor

Oct 30, 2010
"Oh my got here's another thread by Plendakor :zombie:!"

Any runners here ? What do you listen to when jogging ?
Started in january and I love it, but my iPod was broken and just got another mp3 player today.

I have a watch that gives the heart rate in BPM and I'd like some music to run with. I guess you need a compromise between the legs and the tempo because jogging is not really double-stokes on a bass drum.
Anyway, need to find some music around between 170 and 185 BPM I guess.

Furthermore, can you run without music ? :)

I also started jogging on january but I never listen to music while I'm doing it. I like the sound of nature.

Funny, I've been thinking of making this same thread. I started jogging a little over a month and a half ago. I do a minimum of 3 miles and a max of 6 miles. The playlist that I'm on now includes:

Misery Signals "Controller"
Vader "XXV"
Havok "Time is Up"
Death "Individual Thought Patterns
Death "Symbolic"
Death "The Sound of Perseverance"
Rotten Sound "Exit" and "Cycles"

For the days I do upper body its mostly soundtracks or Lustmord :lol:

I would run outside but I get so distracted that I just end up walking and taking in the scenery while listening to music.

I bike a shitload. My playlist differs every time but it's mostly +150bpm and heavy with a side of groove. Looking at it now, the first thing on there is The Crown - Deathrace King

Don't run.
Buy yourself a nice mountain bike with shock absorbers for both wheels.
Thank me 20 years later when your knee and heel joints will still be healthy.

I go running occasionally. Was doing it 4 times a week at one point last year, when it was better weather! It's swimming I need to get back into.

Spotify has playlists specifically for running, that contain songs of those tempos :)

Restarted running after being idle the past winter. I run 3 times a week on average, usually 10 km per session (it takes between 50 & 65 minutes, depending on the pace) on tarmac or pavement. No treadmill, I hate it!
As for the music - it depends, if I am just jogging then sure, I can't run without it.
But if I target a specific pace (something like a tempo run), then I don't have to listen to anything except my footsteps. Still, even then I do have something playing in my ear buds in the background most of the time, but I don't concentrate on it at all.
Also - besides music, I really like to listen audio books or stand up comedy (especially George Carlin) while jogging.

I actually prefer to listen to songs of very mixed genre and tempo, makes my runs much more interesting. It doesn't change my pace much, just gives me a bit of groove :)
As long as the list is longer than an hour, as I usually run 10km, I'm good.

So no runkeeper profiles here? I've been taking it more seriously lately, twice a week because I do some weightlifting at home 3 or 4 days a week depending on my schedules. I need music, can't run without it, and I don't care much about the tempo or style, whatever I feel like listening to works for me, as long as it keeps me entertained and motivated to keep going as much as I can. I did 11km this morning listening to the 2013 remix of Katatonia's "Viva Emptiness" and the Ep by Antemasque, the new project from the Mars Volta guys.

Add me on runkeeper if you use it, I love it! It also links with my GainFitness app so it keeps track of my workouts.

http://runkeeper.com/user/DanLights/profile

I run to fast to have music on.

What's your average km time? I'd say I usually run at 12 but can easily go up to 14-16km/h on a treadmill. Getting old though haha, remember when i could run 16km/h easy well well..

I run to fast to have music on.

What's your average km time? I'd say I usually run at 12 but can easily go up to 14-16km/h on a treadmill. Getting old though haha, remember when i could run 16km/h easy well well..

I average about 5:45 minutes per Km right now, I did 10k in under an hour this morning which I think is my best so far, but I really want to push that up as much as I can, I'll try to reach more distance within the hour next week, maybe some brutal death metal will help with that hahaha

Well, I am not usually chasing any particular speed (I am concentrated on my heart rate mostly), but my fastest run so far was in November last year - I ran 10 km in 46 mins, which translates to 4:39 min/km or close to 13 km/hr. That day everything was perfect tho, it was one of those when-stars-align moments :)
These days it's mostly anywhere between 5:15 & 5:45 min/km or ~6:15 min/km if I am trying to stay in the fat burn zone (60-70% of max heart rate).
That's on tarmac/pavement though (running most of the time through city blocks), I don't know what my running times would be on the treadmill.

I've finished three half marathons and two 10k races :) So I guess you could say I run...

My favourites are quite varied, but anything energetic works. Here's a couple of very standout tracks for me:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice, some Skinny Puppy. I love that song but the album is meh IMO. Being a massive long time Puppy fan, I was a bit disappointed with Weapon.

Been "running" for years, everyday but only for about 20 mins with a 5-10 min "come down". (walking speed) No music, prefer a treadmill and some Netflix on.

Trying to go back to running, I use run keeper as we'll so I will add you ! I will post my account aswell !
My father is national silver medal for >50yo in 800m and 4x400m, when I run it is only a warmup for him !

Like mutant said, anyone wiling to get serious about it should try biking or swimming instead, as knees and articulations take a lot and you realize it at 55/60yo. Biking can be bad for the back as well, so try to stay in a good position when biking, not a racing position.

Oh and I ordered a cardiofrequencemeter to wear while running so I can monitor my pace according to my heart bpm. My main goal is to go back to a healthy state where I don't feel tired after climbing stairs, and lower my heart bpm by 10/15 average as it is now at about 80 easily during the day. My father told me as a young guy he used to be the same as me (higher than average idle bpm but lower than average peak bpm in effort). So I want to run according to a specific bpm, which should little by little correspond to a faster pace

As a "pro" he told me in long runs you should exhale more than you inhale, something like in in out out out , in in in out out out is good too. In in out out as I used to do is okay but not optimal

Do any of you also do split sessions ? 1mn slow / 2mn fast / 1mn slow etc...