Rush's 2nd Era of Releases

edgeofthorns

24 Hours Ago...
Jan 2, 2005
City beneath the surface
We're all familiar with or fans of the classics such as 2112, Moving Pictures, and A Farewell to Kings. With that said, I consider the 2nd era to begin around the Presto release. I've been really exploring the band's catalog lately and I love Presto! So, what are your favorite Rush releases from Presto moving forward? :kickass:

Here's one of my favorite cuts from Presto.

~Brian~

Last edited by a moderator:
"Counterparts" stands as my personal favorite from the modern era, although I would qualify "Hold Your Fire" rather than "Presto" as the starting point. In that scenario, "Fire" ranks just fractions back of "Counterparts" for me.

I thought "Snakes and Arrows" was also very inspired, whereas "Vapor Trails" was a little on the stale side..... very interested to see what direction any hypothetical new release might take.

"Counterparts" stands as my personal favorite from the modern era, although I would qualify "Hold Your Fire" rather than "Presto" as the starting point. In that scenario, "Fire" ranks just fractions back of "Counterparts" for me.

I thought "Snakes and Arrows" was also very inspired, whereas "Vapor Trails" was a little on the stale side..... very interested to see what direction any hypothetical new release might take.

+1

Probably my favorite all time band (hence my user name), and I enjoy all the "eras", however one might break them down. All the albums from this modern era have some great moments... "Dreamline", "Earthshine", "Superconductor" are good examples.

Also agree that "Hold your Fire" should be the staring point of the "new era". With that said, I consider Hold your Fire to be the best Rush album ever.

Both Pesto and Snakes and Arrows are also stellar releases in my humble opinion. I have difficulties with Counterparts for some reason.

For me to state that Rush is my all time favorite band, I find it interesting that going back through the discography in order to answer this question has made me realize how little I listen to the modern era of Rush albums. I reviewed each of these albums and hardly recognize most of the song titles. This is puzzling to me, but I realize that most newer Rush albums typically don't click with me initially and require multiple listenings. I think I probably listened more to the later live albums than any of these releases individually.

I really can't get into their studio albums between Signals (1981) and Test for Echo (1996). However, I really like the song Stick It Out from Counterparts. Most of these songs I enjoy when they play them live and I get excited and go to listen to the album and get let down.

Also, I enjoyed Vapor Trails and Snakes and Arrows...especially live. Early RUSH is still my favorite by far though.

I have to admit to ignoring these 90's releases, but Presto, Roll The Bones, and Counterparts is some tasty stuff! I believe the band figured out how to incorporate synths into their music, without sounding cheesy.

I believe the band figured out how to incorporate synths into their music, without sounding cheesy.

And to me, that is the clear difference between (what I think of) the second and third eras of Rush (with the second beginning at "Moving Pictures", and third at "Hold Your Fire"). They really went into the full blown "neo-prog" movement with the third era, and that is where I finally jumped on board.

And to me, that is the clear difference between (what I think of) the second and third eras of Rush (with the second beginning at "Moving Pictures", and third at "Hold Your Fire"). They really went into the full blown "neo-prog" movement with the third era, and that is where I finally jumped on board.

I understand. I didn't know if I'd get flamed if I said it, but so far, I prefer the later releases to their "classics".

~Brian~

FLAME ON!!!!!!!!!

Just kiddin'. Comparing Rush's different eras is like comparing apples and oranges, to me. They are easily one of my all-time favorite bands and I enjoy most of their discography.

For the modern era, I really like Power Windows, Counterparts, Hold Your Fire and Presto. I tend to downrate Roll the Bones a bit, partly due to the lame attempt at rapping on the title track.
Snakes & Arrows was good; didn't much care for Vapor Trails -- and many Rush fans made it clear they HATED the overpumped production on that one, as a quick Google search will reveal.

Favorite songs from the modern era: "Territories," "Mission," "The Pass," "Dreamline"....several others as well.

If those CDs aren't on my iPod, they will be shortly. :heh:

Comparing Rush's different eras is like comparing apples and oranges, to me. They are easily one of my all-time favorite bands and I enjoy most of their discography.

For the modern era, I really like Power Windows, Counterparts, Hold Your Fire and Presto. I tend to downrate Roll the Bones a bit, partly due to the lame attempt at rapping on the title track.
Snakes & Arrows was good; didn't much care for Vapor Trails -- and many Rush fans made it clear they HATED the overpumped production on that one, as a quick Google search will reveal.

I would mostly agree with this assessment. I have been a Rush fan for a long time and I like almost everything they have done. Roll The Bones would have to be my least favorite. I bought it the day it was released and I had extremely high expectations after hearing Where's My Thing? on the radio. However, I just sat in stunned silence during my first listen. I was very disappointed, especially with the title track. And then to add insult to injury they played the title track on every tour until they finally dropped it from the set on the Snakes & Arrows tour. I do like Vapor Trails more than most Rush fans for some reason. And I absolutely love Grace Under Pressure.

I would mostly agree with this assessment. I have been a Rush fan for a long time and I like almost everything they have done. Roll The Bones would have to be my least favorite. I bought it the day it was released and I had extremely high expectations after hearing Where's My Thing? on the radio. However, I just sat in stunned silence during my first listen. I was very disappointed, especially with the title track. And then to add insult to injury they played the title track on every tour until they finally dropped it from the set on the Snakes & Arrows tour. I do like Vapor Trails more than most Rush fans for some reason. And I absolutely love Grace Under Pressure.

Shit, forgot to list P/G. Consider it another of my modern-era faves. :)

Err, I'd swear we got "Roll the Bones" on the S&A tour when Rush came through here, but maybe not.
If not, it was a mercy. Seemed like they seldom got the timing quite right on synching the rap part with the rapping-skull animation...I remember a few times when it was off by a few seconds. (!)

RtB is a very underrated album, probably because it is half a great album. Dreamline, Bravado, Roll The Bones, Hersey, Where's My Thing? and Ghost Of A Chance are amongst the best songs Rush has ever done. Unfortunately Face Up, The Big Wheel, Neurotica and You Bet Your Life bring the album down somewhat.

To me, what makes Rush a great band is that they have changed a lot over the years, but still make great music in all of those years, whether it was high pitch screaming Geddy (ending at Moving Pictures), 80s synth era Rush (Ending at Hold Your Fire), to 90s stripped down Rush (Ending at Test For Echo) to now the wall of sound. All of it has good music in it and continue to make Rush a relevant band.

There are those who prefer a certain era, but I love them all for different reason. At their heart, even with all the changes, they are still Rush. That's quite an accomplishment to be able to keep your identity in all that.

Power Windows still stands as one of my favorites, and Hold Your Fire gets an honorable mention. P/G was a good one too. And while Vapor Trails gets a justifiable bad rap, Earthshine is a guilty pleasure from time to time. Enjoyed Snakes and Arrows, too.

BTW, been a fan since right before All The World's a Stage came out.